Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 05-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
Atheris
The Maxx

Arrow QMX Star Trek Enterprise (2009) J.J. Abrams

I've been on the fence about ordering this awesome piece for a while. Just got back from seeing Star Trek into darkness in IMAX tonight and was very impressed with the movie. Kinda gave me the extra nudge to place an order for this. So I go to the website when I get home and just my luck, they aren't taking orders anymore due to "high demand". I emailed them hoping to get on a waitlist of some kind, hopefully I can. I just watched some videos of it on YouTube from SDCC and man is it impressive. Anyone here actually own this piece already they can share pics of or give their thoughts on it?

https://store.qmxonline.com/Star-Tre...ica_p_147.html

After seeing this guys unboxing video, I REALLY want one now lol

http://youtu.be/t3DGiZI8iyQ

Chris
Atheris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheris View Post
I've been on the fence about ordering this awesome piece for a while. Just got back from seeing Star Trek into darkness in IMAX tonight and was very impressed with the movie. Kinda gave me the extra nudge to place an order for this. So I go to the website when I get home and just my luck, they aren't taking orders anymore due to "high demand". I emailed them hoping to get on a waitlist of some kind, hopefully I can. I just watched some videos of it on YouTube from SDCC and man is it impressive. Anyone here actually own this piece already they can share pics of or give their thoughts on it?

https://store.qmxonline.com/Star-Tre...ica_p_147.html

After seeing this guys unboxing video, I REALLY want one now lol

http://youtu.be/t3DGiZI8iyQ

Chris
I have the original Master Replicas NCC-1701 and it's awesome. I'd love to have the Enterprise D or the NCC-1701A. Gotta hit the lottery first.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Nice but light-years outside of my price range. The design has grown on me since the last movie, but it still doesn't compare to the original Constitution class design for me.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
Nice but light-years outside of my price range. The design has grown on me since the last movie, but it still doesn't compare to the original Constitution class design for me.
+1
Old 05-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
Atheris
The Maxx

The older Star trek tv show was before my time, so I never really appreciated it the same way others have that grew up with it. The new movie was fantastic, really loved it. So I feel getting the 2009 movie version of the enterprise is a piece I would have a better connection with in my collection. Don't get me wrong their both great looking ships, I just prefer the movie version even though it doesn't have the nostalgia of the original.

I emailed them a few days ago and still haven't got a response yet.

Chris
Old 05-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheris View Post
The older Star trek tv show was before my time, so I never really appreciated it the same way others have that grew up with it. The new movie was fantastic, really loved it. So I feel getting the 2009 movie version of the enterprise is a piece I would have a better connection with in my collection. Don't get me wrong their both great looking ships, I just prefer the movie version even though it doesn't have the nostalgia of the original.

I emailed them a few days ago and still haven't got a response yet.

Chris
You should watch "Space Seed" which is where Kahn makes his first appearance on the original series.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
Nice but light-years outside of my price range.
Not a problem with a trans-warp credit card!
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
dao2
Cyclops

Fair warning, QMX blows and you'd be doing yourself a favor if you stayed away from them. I ordered the Big Damn Replica from the (as massively overpriced as it is) and it was nowhere near worth it. All their claptrap about making it in the US doesn't help cause the quality doesn't show. And the company they use (the fx store or something) blows. Also in terms of the Enterprise it's long been talked about on RPF and similar that it's just a polar lights kit build up, of which you could get done by many experienced modelers for cheaper and better quality. If anybody else made Firefly stuff I would jump ship without a seconds hesitation.

Also the base they designed for the enterprise looks like crap. And their "high demand" is because they use a company that likely uses one team to do all their models. When they came out with the Serenity Replica they claimed they could start to finish build one in a week. I ordered one years after it came out and I got one in the 300s (in an edition of 1000, and they are built to order so they are numbered that way too). It took them a god damn year to make it when they told me 6 months at the outside. Every month they said "it's in the finishing touches" which apparently took another 6 months to do. Because that single team does ALL their Artisan stuff all their stuff is listed as "temporarily suspended due to high demand" (the Serenity Replica is and they hiked up the price by $1000, so I doubt anyone is buying it).

So go for it if you want :| But their stuff is seriously overpriced and just cause it is doesn't mean that it'll be good service. Also they only provide a year warranty on their lighting.

One last edit note: Those nice foam cutouts that you see in that video was also supposed to be used for the Serenity Replica and all the early orders got them (I saw pics). However they got lazy as ---- later and mine shipped in packing peanuts and 2 pieces of HARD Styrofoam on the top and bottom and they weren't even molded for it. One of my engine lights snapped off because it was being pressed against it :| So you might not get that nice packaging either. So again, QMX = teh suck, fail, and aids. Never ordering an "artisan" replica from them again. Even their cheap stuff is pretty low quality (props are brittle and poorly designed, shirt decals crap easily when $10 shirts on ebay don't even have that problem).
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
Atheris
The Maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
Fair warning, QMX blows and you'd be doing yourself a favor if you stayed away from them. I ordered the Big Damn Replica from the (as massively overpriced as it is) and it was nowhere near worth it. All their claptrap about making it in the US doesn't help cause the quality doesn't show. And the company they use (the fx store or something) blows. Also in terms of the Enterprise it's long been talked about on RPF and similar that it's just a polar lights kit build up, of which you could get done by many experienced modelers for cheaper and better quality. If anybody else made Firefly stuff I would jump ship without a seconds hesitation.

Also the base they designed for the enterprise looks like crap. And their "high demand" is because they use a company that likely uses one team to do all their models. When they came out with the Serenity Replica they claimed they could start to finish build one in a week. I ordered one years after it came out and I got one in the 300s (in an edition of 1000, and they are built to order so they are numbered that way too). It took them a god damn year to make it when they told me 6 months at the outside. Every month they said "it's in the finishing touches" which apparently took another 6 months to do. Because that single team does ALL their Artisan stuff all their stuff is listed as "temporarily suspended due to high demand" (the Serenity Replica is and they hiked up the price by $1000, so I doubt anyone is buying it).

So go for it if you want :| But their stuff is seriously overpriced and just cause it is doesn't mean that it'll be good service. Also they only provide a year warranty on their lighting.

One last edit note: Those nice foam cutouts that you see in that video was also supposed to be used for the Serenity Replica and all the early orders got them (I saw pics). However they got lazy as ---- later and mine shipped in packing peanuts and 2 pieces of HARD Styrofoam on the top and bottom and they weren't even molded for it. One of my engine lights snapped off because it was being pressed against it :| So you might not get that nice packaging either. So again, QMX = teh suck, fail, and aids. Never ordering an "artisan" replica from them again. Even their cheap stuff is pretty low quality (props are brittle and poorly designed, shirt decals crap easily when $10 shirts on ebay don't even have that problem).
Thanks for the heads up. A lot of what you said is also brought up on this other forum I found.

http://www.therpf.com/f11/qmx-enterp...eplica-177629/

Not many good things to say about it there ether. Also, if they indeed cheaped out on the packaging that is a complete turn off for me. If theirs one thing I cant stand its companies slapping the customer in the face with a high value item by packaging it like a pair of shoes in a shoe box (Eg: Fred Barton - Robocop bust)

I'm probably gonna forget getting this from the sounds of things.

Chris
Old 05-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
dao2
Cyclops

Well on the RPF there you can find a ton of great modelers that can build up the polar lights kit for you and they'll do a damned better job on it. And yes they did cheap out on me on the packaging, I was pretty pissed about it and other things in general. They got lazy with the paint application cause from the neck down mine doesn't look as good as others. There were other issues as well, but seriously just stay away from QMX as much as you can unless you absolutely have to. You can get the same kit built up cheaper and better and quicker and someone who will guarantee the lights for longer too.

BTW: I kept the Serenity Replica, and I love it and I'd probably order it again, issues and price aside. But that's because I absolutely love Firefly and there isn't really an alternative. For Trek you have a bajillion far better options :|

QMX in general has a bad rep in prop/modeler community and not just cause of the Enterprise :|
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote