Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-12-2023, 01:59 PM   #501
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
A high ES on this gives people that are nervous about the hobby dying that there is hope its not all over and that many other characters still have a chance to be made. If a piece like this struggles, it bodes ill for where the market is at. Basically this is a bit of a litmus test for many people.
and an ES on a piece that makes absolutely no sense being as low as 250 for an Ivy that has been done on a piece that was made three times already that we know will still sell out.........makes no sense to be released as a 250 ES. That ES could go to a second tier character that folks are not 100 % sure of and this way those pieces would not sit for so long.......

Just my thoughts.

Oh, and for the record, I still have yet to get a conversion for the 250 Ivy and still don't have an Ivy in my collection.

LOL!
Onewiththeforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 02:24 PM   #502
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Ivy made sense to do that on BECAUSE there are literally thousands of other Ivy's already out there. Were people not ordering due to character fatigue, market saturation, or because they didnt like the piece so it struggled to attract a mere 250 orders in that amount of time? Well that is why people want to see what this one does.

Its also not as simple as just make a low ES piece for a low tier character. ARH before they went under were talking about how they couldnt get any factory space if they couldnt generate enough orders. That was the final nail for them. Thats why you are more likely to see a Low ES alternate version as its part of the overall bigger order.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 03:01 PM   #503
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
Ivy made sense to do that on BECAUSE there are literally thousands of other Ivy's already out there. Were people not ordering due to character fatigue, market saturation, or because they didnt like the piece so it struggled to attract a mere 250 orders in that amount of time? Well that is why people want to see what this one does.

Its also not as simple as just make a low ES piece for a low tier character. ARH before they went under were talking about how they couldnt get any factory space if they couldnt generate enough orders. That was the final nail for them. Thats why you are more likely to see a Low ES alternate version as its part of the overall bigger order.
Yea, the Ivy thing was just not the right timing for me.

In other words, I just started collecting 1/4 scale pieces and decided:

X-Men related
Avengers related
Batman related

And by the time I started to go down that path of being more gung-ho about getting into the 1/4 scale game and started selling off my 1/6 and 1/10 line, the most recent SS Ivy that had been made was that muscle backed green skinned version. It is my LEAST favorite Ivy to day as I don't like the color at all and would never display the EX portrait even if I had it. Plus the piece was already sold out and was already selling on the secondary market for well over 800-900.

So for me when the newest Ivy was teased (the perfect way that I WOULD PREFER HER.....flesh colored skin and this more classic costume).......I wanted to grab her but of course as soon as they announced the 250....she was gone. POOF!!!!!

I have been on the waitlist ever since.

So for me it was timing I suppose.

And as I don't have a 1/4 scale Ivy in my collection to date but do have a Harley, Catwoman, Batman, Joker, huntress, Black Canary......no Ivy makes me sad. LOL!!
Old 07-12-2023, 04:29 PM   #504
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS_Sagat_Buyer View Post
You guys sound like sideshow employees sometimes. Why would you want a statue with a high ES? Don't you want something collectible instead of it showing up on daily deals for the next 3 years?
I agree. If you're into that though, Sideshow isn't your bag. They're the most consumer friendly statue producer. They want their stuff to be around for a long time at a more affordable price.

Sideshow is an entry level collectibles company.
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 04:33 PM   #505
qz33
Doctor Doom

This will likely be pretty good but however this ends up looking will be a significant downgrade from what is advertised so might as well wait until they show their true hand before ordering.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 05:03 AM   #506
IronLungs31
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS_Sagat_Buyer View Post
You guys sound like sideshow employees sometimes. Why would you want a statue with a high ES? Don't you want something collectible instead of it showing up on daily deals for the next 3 years?
Definitely agree with this statement. Never will understand the reason why some collectors want these huge ES.

If those that are on the proverbial "fence" about buying a long awaited character like The Penguin are unsure. Then what are you collecting for in the first place.
IronLungs31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 09:34 AM   #507
Forps is back
Mephisto

As i already stated, i want a relative high ES (>1500). The reason is that this sculpt, this masterpiece must be viewed and admired by the highest possible number of people.

It is so perfect, i am really speechless.

On the other hand, an extremely high ES will diminish its future value (in the aftermarket) and also could possibly lead to a downgrade in the production pieces (although this high ES= rushed/subpar production pieces is probably an urban legend, it can have some legs).

Nevertheless and due to my love for this hobby and my desire to give the opportunity to guys with minimal art knowlegde to take a dive in FINE ART and in what a sculpting masterpiece is, i want a high ES, an ES of >1500.

It is a pity such a sculpt to be admired by a handful of people.

Thank you, Maria.

In an era where AI is possibly going to impact even our hobby with AI-prepared sculpts lurking, Maria gave us a MASTERPIECE FOR THE AGES.

This Penguin is out of this world, i dont care if Prime1's is 1/3 scale (i know, i know, casuals or 98% of collectors correlate height and size with quality, but i could not care less), i dont care for other custom Penguins, this Penguin is a divine sculpture.

Human ingenuity at its best.

Thank you, Maria. You gave us a MASTERPIECE FOR THE AGES.

(please, Sideshow, do not mess up the production pieces)
Forps is back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 10:34 AM   #508
moyiori
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Its all a double edge sword for wanting high or low ES's

Wanting low ES to be collectible will make it more expensive, even more expensive for those overseas.

Wanting high ES just will devalue it, but to be honest very few statues hold there value these days. But lets some folks pick it up later. Even with payment plans folks can't buy it all, they need some break in-between.

Ya I don't like when its crazy bloated ES, but I also want SS to be successful. Also if one of my statues breaks at least the higher ES will allow me to purchase a replacement at a reasonable price.

SS put us on check with Ivy, so I PO'd day 1 penguin, want it to be successful so they know they have to work on riddler, nightwing, etc because the fans are supporting it.
moyiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 10:48 AM   #509
Destroyous
Justice League

Hell yeah. I preordered him day 1 too. So we’ll see if we can get a new unseen Batman villain during Con.
Destroyous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 11:46 AM   #510
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

do the bloody, cut up penguins on the base separate from the base.?