Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 01-17-2015, 04:31 AM   #571
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

we all have to pay taxes. It's unavoidable. You won't get charged (I don't think) for customs as books are for learning so avoid the fee along with children's clothes
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:22 PM   #572
Juggernaut
The Falcon

What do you guys think of the recoloring on the newly released Marvel Star Wars Omnibus?

I hate it... I guess if you don't have any memories from the comics as a kid the new coloring will be great, but for me that had the issues as a kid translated to danish, I don't want anything other than the original colors.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:06 PM   #573
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
What do you guys think of the recoloring on the newly released Marvel Star Wars Omnibus?
The Omnibus is not recolored. It's only the original film adaptations being released separately in single oversized hardcovers that are.

You can either get those ANH, ESB and RotJ OHCs to get the recolored versions or the Omnibus(es) to experience all of the Marvel era run as it was originally released, so don't fret.

Here, take a look at a video review.
Shoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:02 PM   #574
Juggernaut
The Falcon

Thanks for the link Shoo.

That's great!
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:33 AM   #575
RELStuart
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Johns Green Lantern omnibus volume 1 came in the mail today. It's huge. Printed in Canada (which is cool) and seems to be on the better side of DC binding. The art is really well done. I've read the first chunk of this in Absolute version and The Sinestro war. Looking forward to filling in the gaps and following story.
RELStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:41 AM   #576
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELStuart View Post
Johns Green Lantern omnibus volume 1 came in the mail today. It's huge. Printed in Canada (which is cool) and seems to be on the better side of DC binding. The art is really well done. I've read the first chunk of this in Absolute version and The Sinestro war. Looking forward to filling in the gaps and following story.
Saw this at my old LCS in KC when I went back to visit. It IS huge. I've got these arcs in HC volumes otherwise I'd pick this one up.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:21 PM   #577
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Is that new Star Wars v1 Omni actually worth reading? I never read the original comics...

Does it read well in this current day (since some older books lose appeal over time when you take the nostalgia goggles off)?

What stories does it actually tell? The amazon.ca description almost makes it sounds like it just retells the movie stories with a few gaps filled in.

Is there a point to this older SW Omni with the release of the new series' happening? I just don't want to read stories that'll overlap and/or tell similar tales.
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #578
PureInvasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELStuart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Saw this at my old LCS in KC when I went back to visit. It IS huge. I've got these arcs in HC volumes otherwise I'd pick this one up.
Saw it in person as well and its a beast of a book. Have the whole thing in trades or I'd pick it up as well. Definitely in for v2 though (ships in August) as I don't have any of those stories
Old 02-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #579
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
Is that new Star Wars v1 Omni actually worth reading? I never read the original comics...

Does it read well in this current day (since some older books lose appeal over time when you take the nostalgia goggles off)?

What stories does it actually tell? The amazon.ca description almost makes it sounds like it just retells the movie stories with a few gaps filled in.

Is there a point to this older SW Omni with the release of the new series' happening? I just don't want to read stories that'll overlap and/or tell similar tales.
Worth reading? That depends on what you're looking to get out of it. I would say these are first and foremost aimed at people like me who grew up reading these books. There are some good stories, but I know there are some stinkers as well. These were made to cash in on Star Wars when it came out and were made with no real idea that there would be sequels, let alone prequels. They don't really add anything to the films, nor do they even truly try to tie in to them, except for the adaptations they did for each film. The Dark Horse books actually tried to keep to a continuity with all of the films and tried to build on and expand the universe, not so much with these classic Marvel stories. They're pretty much their own thing. I loved these as a kid, and will get this because I want to relive these stories, warts and all. From what I remember of these stories I don't think many of them will hold up today, but that's cool with me.

The new books Marvel is publishing actually are considered canon and count, as far as the new and older films go. There's only been two issues and it's not bad so far, maybe you'd rather try those, it will definitely be cheaper.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:56 PM   #580
PureInvasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
Worth reading? That depends on what you're looking to get out of it. I would say these are first and foremost aimed at people like me who grew up reading these books. There are some good stories, but I know there are some stinkers as well. These were made to cash in on Star Wars when it came out and were made with no real idea that there would be sequels, let alone prequels. They don't really add anything to the films, nor do they even truly try to tie in to them, except for the adaptations they did for each film. The Dark Horse books actually tried to keep to a continuity with all of the films and tried to build on and expand the universe, not so much with these classic Marvel stories. They're pretty much their own thing. I loved these as a kid, and will get this because I want to relive these stories, warts and all. From what I remember of these stories I don't think many of them will hold up today, but that's cool with me.

The new books Marvel is publishing actually are considered canon and count, as far as the new and older films go. There's only been two issues and it's not bad so far, maybe you'd rather try those, it will definitely be cheaper.
Thanks. That's the input I was looking for.

I'm already in with the new series'