Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Digital Photography

Old 03-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
insomniac
Loki

First Question

I might as well pose the first question for this new section. I have been trying to take pictures of my framed artwork lately recently but have been having a lot of problems. When I take the pictures without a flash a get a lot of reflection in the glass. If I use a flash the reflection goes away but you can see the flash reflected in the glass. I found that taking the picture from an angle works a bit better but then I want a picture from dead on. Any tips on how to solve this problems.

insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
P1X4R
Producer

are you using an in-camera flash? if you have an external flash you could point it away from your subject and bounce it off a wall or ceiling to lessen any harsh lighting. btw, the 1st and 3rd pics don't show much of any flash glares. i can definitely see it in the 2nd pic. nice works of art! i especially love the Star Blazers (Space Cruiser Yamato) one.
P1X4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #3
insomniac
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1X4R View Post
are you using an in-camera flash? if you have an external flash you could point it away from your subject and bounce it off a wall or ceiling to lessen any harsh lighting. btw, the 1st and 3rd pics don't show much of any flash glares. i can definitely see it in the 2nd pic. nice works of art! i especially love the Star Blazers (Space Cruiser Yamato) one.
Thanks P1XrR. The flash is only turned on for the Battlestar pic. It was off for the others. The problem when the flash is not on is I get a lot of refection for other things in the room. Those 2 probably have the least amount of reflection on them. I have others pics that are much worse.

I am afraid I don't have an external flash. I am just using the one on the camera.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
Mandragora
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

my instinct is that you might want a polarizing filter which will allow you to control how much glare there is.

check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_...phy)#Polarizer
Mandragora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
insomniac
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandragora View Post
my instinct is that you might want a polarizing filter which will allow you to control how much glare there is.

check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_...phy)#Polarizer

I have a Kenko PRO1D uv filter that I purchased to protect the lense. I am not sure how good it is. It was the salespersons recommendation and the price was middle of the pack.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
Mandragora
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
I have a Kenko PRO1D uv filter that I purchased to protect the lense. I am not sure how good it is. It was the salespersons recommendation and the price was middle of the pack.
UV filters are fantastic for simple lens protection . . i'm a total slop who smacks my camera around all over the place .. . so protecting the glass is really important for me.

I agree on spending the mid amount on that kind of filter

But there are many filters that have a whole bunch of different purposes. hence the link
Mandragora is offline   Reply With Quote