Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 02-06-2018, 03:30 PM   #121
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Doesn't shock me in the least. And all this movement has to do it gain steam through other social media outlets and you will see every racist blowhard commenting to drag the movie down - and not bc it's just Marvel vs DC. Racists will spin it out of a fanboy battle and drag it into the depth of hate. The ignorance in the world is sad and terrifying.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:12 PM   #122
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

This is what happens in today’s age of social media where people can and will try to destroy or say things they wouldn’t dare do in the real world because they can hide behind a keyboard. The problem with a lot of these scores is they can be done anonymously with no explanation as to what it’s being based on.

Part of me is glad this is happening because I believe sites like Rotten Tomatoes are already fixed/slanted to a certain degree already.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #123
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post

Part of me is glad this is happening because I believe sites like Rotten Tomatoes are already fixed/slanted to a certain degree already.
+1
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #124
Demona
Martian Manhunter

It's very slanted. But I'm also not the type of person who allows other people's comments motivate my movie watching.

I use rotten tomatoes to remind me what is coming out more than anything

Last edited by Demona; 02-08-2018 at 03:00 PM. Reason: grammar -- missed a word!
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #125
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
It's very slanted. But I'm also not the type of person who allows other people's motivate my movie watching.

Same here, on all points. That said it gets old really fast reading comment after comment, article after article using the stupid RT score to make a case that a film is good or bad.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:02 PM   #126
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
It's very slanted. But I'm also not the type of person who allows other people's motivate my movie watching.

Because you're clearly an intelligent and objective person. However, the same cannot be said for a remarkable amount of people who consume information on the internet.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #127
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
With all due respect, this statement is very misinformed to a degree.

If you look at the RT Critic Requirements, it's actually very strict in terms of the qualifications to post.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/help_desk/critics

And by your account, that would imply 26 Critic Associations would be acting together to conform their viewpoints.

I've always valued the RT rating system for the broad scope of it's critics reviews.

To suggest they are working in tandem, although not completely out of the realm of possibility, is at best, farcical.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #128
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I don’t think she’s saying the critics are colluding so much as taking their bias’ in with them instead of being as objective as possible. To assume just because they have to meet a certain criteria to contribute implies some don’t have agendas is pretty naive. It only takes a handful of these critics to spoil or prop up a score unfairly.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #129
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Doesn't shock me in the least. And all this movement has to do it gain steam through other social media outlets and you will see every racist blowhard commenting to drag the movie down - and not bc it's just Marvel vs DC. Racists will spin it out of a fanboy battle and drag it into the depth of hate. The ignorance in the world is sad and terrifying.
yeah, it's all bout them evil white redneck trump supporters, yup just them

sadly I can't find the far more amusing thread about people complaining that the "old white guy" cameo in the movie was uncalled for, ya know despite BP being created by said old white guy...
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #130
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
I don’t think she’s saying the critics are colluding so much as taking their bias’ in with them instead of being as objective as possible.
Fair enough. I suppose that applies to any movie fan in general don't you think, in regards to our tastes?

Quote:
To assume just because they have to meet a certain criteria to contribute implies some don’t have agendas is pretty naive. It only takes a handful of these critics to spoil or prop up a score unfairly.
I would debate with you as far as the later statement. I think overall the numbers are fair and tend to reveal more accuracy than not.

As for their agendas, I suppose one could not completely discount this aspect of a critic. But each also belongs to their respective associations, which in total number nearly 30 alone just for RT. One critic could have a bias towards a Marvel film, but the association as a collective? I could be naive but I highly doubt all said members could influence THAT much of a score by themselves.

We're not talking about some DC Fanboy in his mother's basement here.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote