Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 06-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #111
JM28Cardiff
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekrodneysim View Post
Those moms who send their kids (after the rumors mind you) to Neverland and then alleging all that and selling to tabloids and starting lawsuits.

They were just out to make a quick buck. Lowest of the low, IMHO.
Lower than him doing it in the first place?
JM28Cardiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #112
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM28Cardiff View Post
If he actually did. It's still "allegations". Regardless of how I feel about whether he did or didn't we are still a country of innocent until proven guilty. Were those who "alleged" improprieties the ones looking to make a quick buck or was MJ able to buy himself out of trouble. Don't think we will ever know for sure.

In any case, his music talent is unquestionable, he was a great performer, and I will still listen to his music.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:46 AM   #113
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
Quote:
Sure, the guy's eccentric. So many theories and allegations.

I have nothing but hate for paedophiles, don't get me wrong, but no one ever proved that MJ did all that.

Guess God's the final judge.

While we're at that, I still say US prison system is wrong to protect paedophiles. They should be fed to GenPop and see if they're so tough with the big boys.

We'll just let this thread remain a tribute and memorial to MJ yeah.
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #114
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
If he actually did. It's still "allegations". Regardless of how I feel about whether he did or didn't we are still a country of innocent until proven guilty. Were those who "alleged" improprieties the ones looking to make a quick buck or was MJ able to buy himself out of trouble. Don't think we will ever know for sure.

In any case, his music talent is unquestionable, he was a great performer, and I will still listen to his music.
Agreed; I do think it's beyond debate that he did inappropriate things with kids. This is stuff he admitted to--sleeping in the same bed, etc. That was at best a bad idea, and naive as hell. Could more have happened? Of course. Was that proven? No. Would I have left my kids in the company of MJ? Definitely not. Will I let them listen to his music? Sure.

MJ was undoubtedly a messed-up guy. He was just consistently weird. But that doesn't really change what he did to music and pop culture in the early 80s, and the legacy he's left behind.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #115
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Agreed; I do think it's beyond debate that he did inappropriate things with kids. This is stuff he admitted to--sleeping in the same bed, etc. That was at best a bad idea, and naive as hell. Could more have happened? Of course. Was that proven? No. Would I have left my kids in the company of MJ? Definitely not. Will I let them listen to his music? Sure.

MJ was undoubtedly a messed-up guy. He was just consistently weird. But that doesn't really change what he did to music and pop culture in the early 80s, and the legacy he's left behind.
And he did A LOT! He is an icon like Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, and Randy Bowen (threw that in for kicks). If anyone deserves a Sideshow PF it's Michael Jackson.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #116
JM28Cardiff

I just think paying millions in hush money is an admission of guilt.

Various people in the media, like Uri Gellar, are saying what a messed up childhood he had, have to feel sorry for him a bit.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #117
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:

Various people in the media, like Uri Gellar, are saying what a messed up childhood he had, have to feel sorry for him a bit.
Look the guy had one messed up childhood. He was raised in a doomsday religion (believe me, I grew up in the same one, and it does a number on your psyche). And then combine that mentality with fame thrust upon him so early.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #118
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:

Well that's one way to look at it and that's how many people assume it's hush money if a famous/rich individual involved. Many times, cases are settled to save each party. The case could have taken years and gone through multiple appeals. That could have meant drawing the kid into multiple court battles that could have affected the kid as well as the immense cost the attorneys for both sides would run up. If they were so confident he was guilty and could have ended up with alot more and MJ in jail for child abuse, why settle at all?
Old 06-26-2009, 11:17 AM   #119
JM28Cardiff

And the flipside to that, why pay if nothing happened.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #120
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
And the flipside to that, why pay if nothing happened.
To avoid the millions in attorney costs. The attorneys for the party bringing the charges usually get a percentage of the damages awarded (I've heard 40 - 50%). If the defendent is found innocent the party bringing the charges gets nothing yet the defendent is stuck with millions in attorney costs.