Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 08-30-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
Mastermold
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

What medium to you work with?

And assuming it's not clay, how does it not dry out when it takes days or longer to finish a sculpt?
Mastermold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:01 PM   #2
Tattoo-X

Wink

This is something similiar to what my family would say about me:

FROM CHRISTMAS STORY
Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master. But, I chickened out and said the first name that came to mind.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:22 PM   #3
Mastermold
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo-X
This is something similiar to what my family would say about me:

FROM CHRISTMAS STORY
Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master. But, I chickened out and said the first name that came to mind.
Great movie. You'll put your eye out.
Mastermold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:33 AM   #4
FrazzM4n
Doh!

Yeh i wouldnt mind knowing if theres an "air cure" alternative to sculpey thats actually any good? I dont have access to a decent oven i can bake sculpey with the sizes im wanting to do.

Ive heard of Aves clay, magic sculp and even makins clay (eek) i was wondering if anyone knew of a solution that takes longer than 2-3 hrs working time before its starts to cure?

So out of the 2 Aves or magic sculp which is best? anyone had experience with either of these? and is the cure time of 2-3 hrs the absolute deadline? any way to hold back the curing time?

In answer to the OP.., Doris Stokes
FrazzM4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:53 PM   #5
de-compositions
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

im working with "pro clay " at the moment it is realy nice im using a technique i picked up off of mark alfrey's dvd .i was using chavante' hm but now im stuck on this "pro clay ".it has all of the same properties of chavante' but it ha smore wax in it .
de-compositions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:00 AM   #6
Countrikula
Sculptor
Sculptor

Wax, Super Sculpey, Castilene, Chavant, ProClay, Wed Clay....Epoxy for certain things sometimes.
But mainly the first three.
Countrikula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:30 PM   #7
iamneo
Doh!

here is a great tip for anyone wanting the perfect qualities for sculpting and baking. mix flex sculpey with grey super sculpey, it is amazing. basically it makes it slightly flexible after baking. can be cut cleanly. works amazingly well. finally solved my problems. you can actually mix 1 part blue flex sculpey with 5 parts beige sculpey, gives you a beautiful grey color with a hint of blue. try it
iamneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:10 AM   #8
M.Ward
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermold View Post
And assuming it's not clay, how does it not dry out when it takes days or longer to finish a sculpt?

I think Super Sculpey is pretty much the clay of choice here, though there are other brands, premo, certina etc. These polymer clays are oven cured. That is to say they do not harden until heated at 275 degrees for about 15 minutes per ¼” There are other oil based clays and waxes such as plasticine or Chevant that never truly harden. These are inherently very firm can hold a wicked edge but should only be used if the figure is going to be cast. Chavant p-40 is what is used by automotive designers when they sculpt the full size model of a new car. It is very hard, needs to heated to be worked but holds great detail.
M.Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:29 AM   #9
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

I work with Sculpey, TMS wax, Aves, and have used Castilene in the past...

And I also want to be as cool as my fellow Michigander Rick Force He's the man...