Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 09-08-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
Dr.V2005
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Need advice on sculpting capes

Hi all, I'm working on a mini bust that requires a batman-esque cape. I need help on cape sculpting if anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it. Also, if anyone's worked with those thin sheets of wire mesh, any tips would be appreciated.
Dr.V2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
Mangus
Sculptor
Sculptor

I use AVES for all my capes. I use a pasta machine to roll out what I need, lay it on some powdered wax paper and let it sit. Once it stiffens up a bit, I cut the cape design out and apply to the already baked sculpt. Letting it sit longer can let you shape the cape in more dramatic ways. For instance, if you wanted to have the cape blowing high to one side, find something you can stack to use as a barrier( wood, paint cans etc, etc ) place some seran wrap over the spot the cape will be laying on. While the cape is attached to the sculpt, gently pull up either side and lay over your stack( covered with seran wrap ). And let it sit for about a day.

A lower setting on the pasta machine would be better for any kind of action/dramtic design for the cape.

If your cape is going to have the sharp points at the bottom like BATMANS, just cut those out before applying the cape to the sculpt. Don't worry if the edges of the points look rough, once the AVES is fully cured. You can take a dremel to them, to shape/clean them better. Samething I did for my PHAT BATGIRL.

The wire mesh & clay method is just too messy and too much a pain in the ass IMO. And with AVES the cape will be EXTREMELY STRONG. But, not everyone likes working with AVES, just do whats best & easiest for you.

Brian.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
devlinboy
Official Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangus View Post
I use AVES for all my capes. I use a pasta machine to roll out what I need, lay it on some powdered wax paper and let it sit. Once it stiffens up a bit, I cut the cape design out and apply to the already baked sculpt. Letting it sit longer can let you shape the cape in more dramatic ways. For instance, if you wanted to have the cape blowing high to one side, find something you can stack to use as a barrier( wood, paint cans etc, etc ) place some seran wrap over the spot the cape will be laying on. While the cape is attached to the sculpt, gently pull up either side and lay over your stack( covered with seran wrap ). And let it sit for about a day.

A lower setting on the pasta machine would be better for any kind of action/dramtic design for the cape.

If your cape is going to have the sharp points at the bottom like BATMANS, just cut those out before applying the cape to the sculpt. Don't worry if the edges of the points look rough, once the AVES is fully cured. You can take a dremel to them, to shape/clean them better. Samething I did for my PHAT BATGIRL.
lol got pics? ive never seen it... i dont think
devlinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #4
Mangus
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlinboy View Post
lol got pics? ive never seen it... i dont think
Heres the link http://www.biobreed.com/gallery/inde...girl%20painted

Please, don't trash me on this sculpt? I already had to endure the purist fanboy insults from when it was first posted.

Brian.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Brian I think your phat batgirl is one of your best bro... and your cape method is still the one I need to try the next time I am doing a cape... which is soon...
Old 09-12-2006, 03:20 PM   #6
devlinboy
Official Thread Killer

bro, thats an awesome sculpt. fanboys are a bunch of asshats most of the time. they wouldnt know what a real girl looks like anyway. besides who would kick more villain ass a 100 pounder or this specimen lol. with those legs, a kick to the chops would end it all. keep doing what your doing. its nice to see a realistic sculpt. i say you make a whole line of phat female characters and do nothing but post them over and over and over again.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:22 PM   #7
devlinboy
Official Thread Killer

i like that boxing glove arrow attachment. you should make arrow tails for the hawkeye statues that are out now
Old 09-12-2006, 03:27 PM   #8
Mangus
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlinboy View Post
i like that boxing glove arrow attachment. you should make arrow tails for the hawkeye statues that are out now
You must have went to killing time kits link? That glove was sculpted by Gabe Perna. Thanks for your compliment on the BATGIRL!

Dawg, thanx bro. But I think your reffering to the BATGIRL "BUST"? But thank you anyways.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:31 PM   #9
devlinboy
Official Thread Killer

oh yeah i did, ill look back through your site now . my bad lol. but i still think that batgirl is the bomb
Old 09-12-2006, 10:19 PM   #10
Dr.V2005
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangus View Post

The wire mesh & clay method is just too messy and too much a pain in the ass IMO. And with AVES the cape will be EXTREMELY STRONG. But, not everyone likes working with AVES, just do whats best & easiest for you.

Brian.
Thanks for the tip Brian, will this work with sculpty too or do I need to get some AVES?

Dr.V
Dr.V2005 is offline   Reply With Quote