Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 02-15-2024, 09:51 AM   #801
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Sorry to read all that wktf. I just caught this thread. Is your wife still with us?

Nice to hear that The Hobbit book was there for you guys. Books carry a magic that nothing else does.
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 09:52 AM   #802
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Just finished The Outsiders and am currently reading 1984.
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 06:51 AM   #803
Black Cat
Thunderstrike

I've being listening to a book called 4th Wing and it's really good. I get Hunger Game vibes with Dragon Riding.
Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 10:07 PM   #804
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Dragons?! I love dragons
Demona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 03:02 AM   #805
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Endurance by Alfred Lansing.

10/10

For anyone who’s read man vs nature stories like The Perfect Storm, Into The Wild and Into Thin Air, this one is a must read. The incredible, terrifying and TRUE story of Ernest Shackelton’s expedition to Antarctica. This story is so incredible that, if it had been fiction, the editor surely would have rejected it as absurdly beyond belief. Here’s what’s on the back cover:

“Bound for Antarctica, where polar explorer Ernest Shackleton planned to cross on foot the last uncharted continent, the Endurance set sail from England, in August 1914. In January 1915, after battling its way for six weeks through a thousand miles of pack ice and now only a day’s sail short of its destination, the Endurance became locked inside an island of ice. For ten months the ice-moored Endurance drifted northwest before it was finally crushed. But for Shackleton and his crew of twenty-seven men the ordeal had barely begun. It would end only after a near-miraculous journey by Shackleton and a skeleton crew through over 850 miles of the South Atlantic’s heaviest seas to the closest outpost of civilization. This astonishing tale of survival by Shackleton and all twenty-seven of his men for over a year on the ice-bound Antarctic seas, as Time magazine put it, “defined heroism.” Alfred Lansing’s brilliantly narrated book has been long been acknowledged as the definitive account of the Endurance’s fateful trip.”

A truly outstanding read of an impossible story, made all the more incredible because the story is true.

A must read!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 03:09 AM   #806
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent23 View Post
Sorry to read all that wktf. I just caught this thread. Is your wife still with us?

Nice to hear that The Hobbit book was there for you guys. Books carry a magic that nothing else does.
Thank you, Agent 23. Yes, my wife is still with us, but she?s suffering terribly. Every day is a struggle in triage as I help her manage her pain, near blindness as well as the anxiety and confusion she?s suffered from her stroke, and the terrible physical weakness she?s endured from her crippled body from her multiple surgeries. Reading to her is one of the few pleasures she has left in life.

The review I gave of Endurance, above, comes after reading it out loud to her.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote