Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-25-2017, 07:28 PM   #2261
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
It's funny how people don't even try to explain how some things could have happened. Like the chains, oh I don't know, maybe they are from a ship somewhere that got lost and stuck in the ice? Yeah, they are there because the writers needed something to pull the dragon out of the icy water. But it isn't hard to imagine where they could have come from. And as for the actual event of pulling out the dragon, couldn't that have happened weeks later, given plenty of time for some giants to go and fetch them from wherever this army stores their supplies and odd whatnots?
EXACTLY my thought.

Big difference between potential plotholes, and information that just wasn't filmed/shown.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:16 PM   #2262
Y3E
Gen 13

Uncle Benjen

Uncle Benjen. I don't know if anyone asked this but how is it that he was at the right place at the right time? And this wasn't the first time either.

I don't think this is the last we've seen of him. I think he is a supernatural entity or something.

Quote:
It's funny how people don't even try to explain how some things could have happened. Like the chains, oh I don't know, maybe they are from a ship somewhere that got lost and stuck in the ice? Yeah, they are there because the writers needed something to pull the dragon out of the icy water. But it isn't hard to imagine where they could have come from. And as for the actual event of pulling out the dragon, couldn't that have happened weeks later, given plenty of time for some giants to go and fetch them from wherever this army stores their supplies and odd whatnots?
I was thinking maybe the NK made the chains out of ice.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #2263
johnclone
The Enchantress

I'm not aware of any psychic links Benjen could have, so leaving that out, I think Benjen could have heard and seen all the commotion of battle from miles away, especially when the dragons showed up and started breathing fire. If it was a clear day he might have seen them from a very great distance, 10, 15, 20 miles away even. Since he has a horse he could easily cover large distances quickly.

As I understood it, he is sort of a wight, but sort of still a man. So basically he is a friendly zombie. I think this was his last hurrah. He went out a hero.
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:28 PM   #2264
Luminous
Cyclops

Yeah, I think the writers have confirmed that was it for Benjen.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #2265
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:

As I understood it, he is sort of a wight, but sort of still a man. So basically he is a friendly zombie. I think this was his last hurrah. He went out a hero.
no he didn't he went out a moron and a horribly wasted character "there's no time" no time for what? takes half a second to get on a damn horse!
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:06 PM   #2266
johnclone
The Enchantress

Oh come on now, he probably stayed behind to make sure nobody followed after Jon, and most likely met his end doing so, and knew that was the plan all along. "You trying to be a hero Watkins? Just trying to kill some bugs sir!!!! GO!! GO! GOooooooaaaaeeeiirrrrrrhhhooo!!!!!!!!"
Old 08-27-2017, 06:42 PM   #2267
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

I'm not too hung up on that part. Those unfortunate scenes happen all the time due to writing or production constraints.

Yeah, maybe it's cutting them some slack, but a slight tweak makes it all right. E.g. put a few more CG wights in their immediate vicinity, or, keep the scene the same, but change Benjen's line from "there's no time" to "I'm already dead".
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #2268
MrYac
Hercules

nope, stupid scene and an incredibly wasted character. now we'll never know what the hell was up with him, why he was beyond the damn wall for a decade how he was half a friggin zombie nope "there's no time" god it was awful, even worse than them killing Blackfish and Stannis off screen.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #2269
johnclone
The Enchantress

I think it had something to do with the tree fairies.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:57 PM   #2270
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I'm not too hung up on that part. Those unfortunate scenes happen all the time due to writing or production constraints.

Yeah, maybe it's cutting them some slack, but a slight tweak makes it all right. E.g. put a few more CG wights in their immediate vicinity, or, keep the scene the same, but change Benjen's line from "there's no time" to "I'm already dead".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzTXO6RGc7I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PWUI1PiQFU
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNWPvBN1Kko