Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 11-05-2007, 10:35 AM   #1
HELLION
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

can you mold a primered piece?

Hi guys
I'm reworking my Magma with the sentinal head base and I was thinking about what cause it to be so damaged. I had primered and painted with acrylics and I tried to remove the paint with acetone and oven cleaner which was suggested on another thread but after five attempts some of the paint remains and it eat away some of the features on the statue. the reason I wanted to remove the paint is because I assumed it need to be removed to mold the piece. I need to know if this is the case or can it be molded with a coat of primer or acrylic paint? I notice that other sculptors primer there pieces before they mold, if so do they have to remove the primer everytime?
HELLION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
Tommy Allison
Sculptor
Sculptor

Primer does not affect mold material.

Check Out My Blog at....

http://madrobotstudios.blogspot.com

My portfolio is...

http://www.comicspace.com/madrobotommy
Tommy Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
fenix v.2.0
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Just need to use a sealer. I've molded a primed piece, and for the next 4-5 castings, i had specs of primer in them.
fenix v.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #4
HELLION
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenix v.2.0 View Post
Just need to use a sealer. I've molded a primed piece, and for the next 4-5 castings, i had specs of primer in them.
Thanks fenix v.2.0! So I take it would be easier with out primer. It's just that for me it's hard to see the final product until it is primed.
HELLION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
fenix v.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLION View Post
Thanks fenix v.2.0! So I take it would be easier with out primer. It's just that for me it's hard to see the final product until it is primed.
You can prime it up, just seal it with dullcote after.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
Tommy Allison
Sculptor
Sculptor

Good lord, what' is 5 castings with dots of primer in it, that will rub off the second you sand it?

Sealing with a dullcote gives you the oppurtunity to compromise your detail, not to mention if there's a solvent, or worse, sulfur which will stop some silicones from curing.

The primer thing is a non issue, and to be perfectly honest, unless you're one of those people who's first cast has to be absolutely lilly white perfect, I wouldn't seal your sculpt at all, or primer it.

Check Out My Blog at....

http://madrobotstudios.blogspot.com

My portfolio is...

http://www.comicspace.com/madrobotommy
Tommy Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:56 AM   #7
fenix v.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Allison View Post
Good lord, what' is 5 castings with dots of primer in it, that will rub off the second you sand it?

Sealing with a dullcote gives you the oppurtunity to compromise your detail, not to mention if there's a solvent, or worse, sulfur which will stop some silicones from curing.

The primer thing is a non issue, and to be perfectly honest, unless you're one of those people who's first cast has to be absolutely lilly white perfect, I wouldn't seal your sculpt at all, or primer it.
Well you know how picky some people are. i personally don't care, but I hate shipping a casting out and then the person doesn't like the it due to it not being perfectly the same color all over.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
Nar
Frackin!

Hi
Ive been sculpting and baking away at my spawn statue and realized from another sculpt project that went south, a spray coat of primer on baked super sculpey, never set. It was slightly sticky all over for days.
The sculpey parts were small and baked evenly that even some parts darkened a bit.

Is there a special type of primer i could use?
I read on the super sculpey box that it recommends the use of acrylic paints if one chooses to paint over the mold.

But I never found grey acrylic primer on my paint shop.
Is using grey acrylic water based model paint any good or the same? Im sorry if its a dumb question.

I mainly need it so I can see the details since im using that semi translucent flesh tone sculpey.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:40 AM   #9
moore_000
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nar View Post
Hi
Ive been sculpting and baking away at my spawn statue and realized from another sculpt project that went south, a spray coat of primer on baked super sculpey, never set. It was slightly sticky all over for days.
The sculpey parts were small and baked evenly that even some parts darkened a bit.

Is there a special type of primer i could use?
I read on the super sculpey box that it recommends the use of acrylic paints if one chooses to paint over the mold.

But I never found grey acrylic primer on my paint shop.
Is using grey acrylic water based model paint any good or the same? Im sorry if its a dumb question.

I mainly need it so I can see the details since im using that semi translucent flesh tone sculpey.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Nar, I never had problem with primer over baked Super Sculpey; the primer cures over the baked Super Sculpey for me and the primer dries relatively fast. Maybe is the primer you were using rather than the Super Sculpey. I suggest that you should go to a hobby shop for the gray primer rather than an automotive shop for the primer, although most people on the forum uses the gray automotive primer without any problems.
HELLION, sorry can't offer you anything because I don't know how to mold.
moore_000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:49 AM   #10
ScootS
Justice League

Some suggestions (can leave paint/primer) on:

1.Coat the master with a layer of gloss. It can help to achieve a smooth surface

2.Spray a layer of silicon mould release on your master before pouring on the RTV silicon
ScootS is offline   Reply With Quote