Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Infinity Studios / Gantaku / Queen Studios

Old 05-17-2022, 05:37 PM   #651
Quazzy
Doh!

Would you mind sharing the dimensions with the sword, please. Lenght x Height x Depth. Thank you very much!

Last edited by Quazzy; 05-17-2022 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Quazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:36 PM   #652
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
Man totally forgot to post pictures on this. I did do a review on it though! I have it ontop of my 2 tier'd Stuvas. The depth on the sword definitely makes it a challenge to display. Love this piece thou!!
Looks great. It is a shame they didn't angle the sword a little better, it does make the piece quite deep.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:50 PM   #653
pdenham
Teen Titans

The first few years I'll have this displayed will be simply the bust itself.

When I finally do find space to fully display it with the arm & sword, it will almost be like having a brand new statue.
Even though I already own it, I love that there is still something extra that I can still look forward to in the future to breathe new life into it.

Mine is still boxed up- though I briefly open it up and check on it every few weeks. It doesn't seem to be 'sweating' any more than it did initially, though I did notice the last time that the eyelashes on her left eye are sticking to the skin above. The right eyelashes are still floating free.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:13 AM   #654
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
The first few years I'll have this displayed will be simply the bust itself.

When I finally do find space to fully display it with the arm & sword, it will almost be like having a brand new statue.
Even though I already own it, I love that there is still something extra that I can still look forward to in the future to breathe new life into it.

Mine is still boxed up- though I briefly open it up and check on it every few weeks. It doesn't seem to be 'sweating' any more than it did initially, though I did notice the last time that the eyelashes on her left eye are sticking to the skin above. The right eyelashes are still floating free.
Yes, that's a good option to have. You rarely get "switch outs" on busts. It's nice to have all the options with this.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:23 AM   #655
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
It doesn't seem to be 'sweating' any more than it did initially, though I did notice the last time that the eyelashes on her left eye are sticking to the skin above. The right eyelashes are still floating free.
Do you know if the sweating is "normal"? Seems like it could be part of a degrading process that leads to the silicone drying out and becoming brittle. I hope I'm wrong.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:55 PM   #656
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Do you know if the sweating is "normal"? Seems like it could be part of a degrading process that leads to the silicone drying out and becoming brittle. I hope I'm wrong.
Oh I'm sure that is what it is. It's leeching out an oily, viscous substance that would otherwise be keeping the silicone supple. Lose enough of that and I'm sure it will dry out and become harder (and start to crack?)

It's not like it's pouring out like sap from a Maple tree, but it's clearly a substance that is no longer within the silicone. Even worse than toothpaste out of the tube, there's no way to inject it back in.

Sunk cost now, but it's big reason I'm already over the fascination with silicone. The downsides are just not worth it to me.

As far as it being normal- So many of these I've seen in people's collection have a slightly shiny appearance. It's common- but it's not universal. It could be down to the quality of the silicone used, in conjunction with environmental conditions. Or it could be more one or the other. Billy Curly might be someone who would know as he has a lot more experience with these.

Would a dusting of talc help retard the leeching? Or would it just matte the surface for a bit, and require periodic touch ups afterward?

I have a lot of question I wish their manual covered.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:18 PM   #657
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Oh I'm sure that is what it is. It's leeching out an oily, viscous substance that would otherwise be keeping the silicone supple. Lose enough of that and I'm sure it will dry out and become harder (and start to crack?)

It's not like it's pouring out like sap from a Maple tree, but it's clearly a substance that is no longer within the silicone. Even worse than toothpaste out of the tube, there's no way to inject it back in.

Sunk cost now, but it's big reason I'm already over the fascination with silicone. The downsides are just not worth it to me.

As far as it being normal- So many of these I've seen in people's collection have a slightly shiny appearance. It's common- but it's not universal. It could be down to the quality of the silicone used, in conjunction with environmental conditions. Or it could be more one or the other. Billy Curly might be someone who would know as he has a lot more experience with these.

Would a dusting of talc help retard the leeching? Or would it just matte the surface for a bit, and require periodic touch ups afterward?

Wow, that sucks - big time. I'm wondering if we'll see the same thing on the JND silicone products. Either way, I agree, it puts the silicone approach under a cloud (at least for me) - it just seems like an added worry that no one needs.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:15 AM   #658
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:

You might want to call up Cinemaquette, they have been doing silicone for 20+ years and distribute the Queen stuff too.
Old 09-17-2022, 03:44 PM   #659
pdenham
Teen Titans

With Thor packed up and in storage now, I finally had the chance to get Alita out and enjoy her, if only briefly.

Dust is still a big problem and since I still don't have a display case fashioned yet, I've kept the bag on most of the time.

Even as un-ideal as the bag is, having her out and viewable has proven essential, as it's clarified what my priorities should to be in the design of the eventual case I'll be making.
I think I'm finally on the right track now, and excited to get started on it when I get back.

The other nice thing about this brief 'sneak preivew' is that I still get to look forward to seeing her with her hair down and properly framing her face. As much as I'm loving 'er now, it's only a hint of her potential.
Then even farther down the road I can look forward to finding room for the arm and blade. It's the bust that keeps on giving.

BTW the oily shine that I noticed originally seems to be only really apparent when using a flash. In normal light, the silicone still has a dry, normally life-like appearance. Also, having it boxed up the last six months doesn't seem to have made that aspect any worse.
There will be a lot of humidity I can't control over the next month and a half I'll be gone, so once again I'll be unboxing her in November with a little trepidation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alita bagged.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	539.6 KB
ID:	153896   Click image for larger version

Name:	alita profile flash.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	643.8 KB
ID:	153897   Click image for larger version

Name:	alita flash.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	153898   Click image for larger version

Name:	alitaff.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	372.1 KB
ID:	153899  
Old 09-17-2022, 04:27 PM   #660
K1NG J0RDAN
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Looking beautiful. I think she is Queen’s masterpiece. When you can finally get her properly set up you’ll be on cloud nine!
K1NG J0RDAN is offline   Reply With Quote