Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-30-2022, 01:18 AM   #41
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I know this is out of topic but... You don't have many comics ?!??!? then how did you know about The Gladiator ?!?!?! It is such an obsecure comics character... I thought you were an unfortunete X-Men guru who had everything about X-Men in Space or something... Until now, and you turned out to be a noob... xD Even calling issue 1s, volume 1... xD

I said unfortunate because every The Gladiator fan is a potential Superman fan... They only unfortunately read about The Gladiator first. How do you even know The Gladiator !?!?!? I have crap tone of comics and i bearly know The Gladiator... That is mostly because i am DC though.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 04:15 AM   #42
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
I know this is out of topic but... You don't have many comics ?!??!? then how did you know about The Gladiator ?!?!?! It is such an obsecure comics character... I thought you were an unfortunete X-Men guru who had everything about X-Men in Space or something... Until now, and you turned out to be a noob... xD Even calling issue 1s, volume 1... xD

I said unfortunate because every The Gladiator fan is a potential Superman fan... They only unfortunately read about The Gladiator first. How do you even know The Gladiator !?!?!? I have crap tone of comics and i bearly know The Gladiator... That is mostly because i am DC though.
Just because I didn't collect comics doesn't mean I didn't know of them, or certain characters. I was pretty much a 'Spider-man only' fan as a kid, but as I got a little older I got into X-men. But my primary exposure to them was through the 90s X-men cartoon and video games. Now, it's true that I did not know of Gladiator from the comics, but when I saw him in the 1994 episodes of X-men, I was an immediate fan.

I only got into comics collecting for a short while, and when I did, I pretty much just collected TMNT. And not sure what your issue with me calling 'Volume 1', 'Volume 1' is...because that's what it is - Volume 1, i.e. the first 62 issues released from 1984-1993. I'm not talking about Issue #1, or I would have said that.

As for DC...I'm not a fan - at all - except for Batman. And that interest started as a kid, when Batman '89 came out.

Superman? No, don't care for him at all. Yes, he's THE 'archetype', and yes, he's an obvious influence on Kallark in several ways, but I'm not interested in the character in the least.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 06:36 AM   #43
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Just because I didn't collect comics doesn't mean I didn't know of them, or certain characters. I was pretty much a 'Spider-man only' fan as a kid, but as I got a little older I got into X-men. But my primary exposure to them was through the 90s X-men cartoon and video games. Now, it's true that I did not know of Gladiator from the comics, but when I saw him in the 1994 episodes of X-men, I was an immediate fan.

I only got into comics collecting for a short while, and when I did, I pretty much just collected TMNT. And not sure what your issue with me calling 'Volume 1', 'Volume 1' is...because that's what it is - Volume 1, i.e. the first 62 issues released from 1984-1993. I'm not talking about Issue #1, or I would have said that.

As for DC...I'm not a fan - at all - except for Batman. And that interest started as a kid, when Batman '89 came out.

Superman? No, don't care for him at all. Yes, he's THE 'archetype', and yes, he's an obvious influence on Kallark in several ways, but I'm not interested in the character in the least.
I don't have any issues with you buddy. I just thought you refered to issue 1s as volume 1... my mistake.

And i don't care much about Marvel actualy. I only like Punisher, Wolverine and have a like-jealusy reletionship with Daredevil... I mean Daredevil gets the treatment Batman supposed to get, Daredevil is always street level, i'm so jealus of that... xD HA HA

You don't care about Superman. Well to each is his own, very few people care about The Gladiator, he is a very obsecure character.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:52 PM   #44
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Anyone? Thoughts on CGC, slabbing, bags/boards, etc? Bueller?

Quote:
5+ years since last post, and I'd like to hear any and all current thoughts about CGC, and slabbing in general.

I've never collected many comics. I only have a small number of TMNT Volume 1. I'm looking to get those out soon, and may want to slab one or two. Not planning to sell, but would like to protect the more valuable ones. Would probably display them after slabbing.

Have thoughts changed at all in the past several years? CGC is still the defacto standard, correct? Anyone prefer CBCS? EGS? What of CGC cases? I read through this thread, and there was some question about them years ago.

If I didn't slab, what are your recommendations for best bags/boards, and which is the best place to order from? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-04-2022, 09:43 PM   #45
MrYac
Hercules

i just think they look cool graded, but the time it takes CGC these days to return is unbearably
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:27 PM   #46
xellos49698
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Anyone? Thoughts on CGC, slabbing, bags/boards, etc? Bueller?
CGC is preferred on the internet right now if you are looking to sell. What will happen in 10 or 20 years, who knows?

I own 3 slabs, and definitely appreciate the look and know my comics are safe, but it does suck that you can't read them anymore once slabbed. It's kind of a double edge sword.
xellos49698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:27 PM   #47
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
i just think they look cool graded, but the time it takes CGC these days to return is unbearably
Sorry, somehow missed your post.

Looks like it's about a 3 month turnaround right now. Have you gotten much graded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos49698 View Post
CGC is preferred on the internet right now if you are looking to sell. What will happen in 10 or 20 years, who knows?

I own 3 slabs, and definitely appreciate the look and know my comics are safe, but it does suck that you can't read them anymore once slabbed. It's kind of a double edge sword.
Have you ever had to re-slab anything? I thought I read, at least early on, that the cases only lasted 8-10 years? Something about the preservation not being acid-free or something similar; maybe because the plastic is petroleum-based? Seems like a pretty big flaw, if that's still the case. I would think these things should last a lifetime or longer.

Not being a huge collector, as I mentioned, I'm not too turned-off by not being able to read them. Most of the ones I've bought were due to the awesome cover art anyway.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:56 PM   #48
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:

Looks like it's about a 3 month turnaround right now. Have you gotten much graded?
i've only actually done one submission so far, but my 10 books were with them for nearly a year. so that 3 months is incredibly optimistic i sent a book in for a signature and they've had it for 1/19/22 and the actual signing is long since over.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:10 AM   #49
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
i've only actually done one submission so far, but my 10 books were with them for nearly a year. so that 3 months is incredibly optimistic i sent a book in for a signature and they've had it for 1/19/22 and the actual signing is long since over.
Just going by their site, the signature definitely takes longer. 113 or 213 days, depending on how much you pay (can also shorten that with another fee). But in checking again, that's "working days", so I assume Mon-Fri. So add about a month (real-time) to what I said in my previous post, and then that makes that 113 days like 5-6 months, real-time. They definitely take their sweet time.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:00 AM   #50
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:

Have you ever had to re-slab anything? I thought I read, at least early on, that the cases only lasted 8-10 years? Something about the preservation not being acid-free or something similar; maybe because the plastic is petroleum-based? Seems like a pretty big flaw, if that's still the case. I would think these things should last a lifetime or longer.

Not being a huge collector, as I mentioned, I'm not too turned-off by not being able to read them. Most of the ones I've bought were due to the awesome cover art anyway.
I don't remember reading about the plastic (or whatever they use for the inner well), but it used to be recommended you switch them out every so often to change the archival paper they put in the book. I don't think that's an issue anymore if it ever really was. I've had a few reholdered due to Newton's rings and damage. Speaking of...Newton's rings is something to consider. It's what happens when the inner well comes into contact with the outer case. It won't damage the book, but does look like oil splotches from certain angles. I'm not sure which graders have this issue besides CGC...I don't think CBCS (second most popular) has the issue, but I could be wrong. Relatively rare, but happens enough that it's a possibility. If you decide against getting them graded I recommend some Gerber Mylites 2 mylar bags and full back boards. If you're looking to sell you'll get more out of a graded book (cgc still brings the highest premium).

As for wait time...I think they hired a bunch of people a few months back, but I wouldn't bank on 3 months. I have heard about some people sending in books more recently and getting them back pretty quickly, but I've had a book there since June...granted, I also had it sent to CCS for pressing.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote