Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 07-25-2013, 04:15 AM   #1
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

Anime/Manga Adaptations by Hollywood

Having a hard time finding original subject matter, it seems Hollywood isn't satisfied with book,video game and comics adaptations and remakes of the foreign and old movies so now they decided to also make anime/manga adaptations. For reference I made a list of live action anime/manga adaptations currently in production or planning state:

Akira (stalled)
Battle Angel Alita
Bleach
Death Note
Dororo
Gaiking
Ghost in the Shell
Kite
Lone Wolf and Cub
Robotech
Soul Reviver
Space Adventure Cobra
Space Battleship Yamato
Star Blazers
Vexille
Voltron

The live action anime/manga adaptations made by Hollywood so far :

Dragonball Evolution
Guyver
Oldboy
Priest
Speed Racer

metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

KILLER!!. love anime.
always thought anime films would be great live action films if done right.
the ones that are currently in production or in planning state you mention that i would love to see is..
Voltron, Ghost in the shell and Bleach.
hopefully Voltron will be done extremely well and not be anything like the powerangers films. its going to have to be totally over the top spfx & vfx to be successful. not to menton the story. the plot i beleieve we all know what that is. and is it going to be the 5 lions? or is it going to be Voltron vehicle force? i would prefer the 5 lions where it is on another planet taking on king Zarcon and prince Lothor.
Bleach would be killer too see in live action for sure too...
but out of those 3 (even though im a die hard Voltron fan) Ghost in the shell is one killer anime that i think will cross over extremely well to the live action genre. and i hope they use the original soundtrack from the animated film. loved that sound tack and how it worked with the movie.

Anime movies that arent on that liost and should be IMO are.
Ninja Scroll. by far the best martial arts Anime film ever IMO. this film needs to be done.
Akira is another classic anime that needs to be done.
Wicked city and Demon city Shinjuku. these two would killer live action films.
Vampire hunter D. another killer classic anime film. even " VHD blood lust" would be killer to see in live action.
Bio Hunter, Genocyber. two cool anime films. even Bastard woudl be cool to see in live action.

a few for the kids that would be very killer to see is, Spirited away, Princess mononoke, Steamboy. Howl's Moving Castle.

there are so many killer anime films that could be killer live action films if done the right way.
im hoping and praying one day they will make these films into live action.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
MrYac
Hercules

i don't know how they're going to pull off a lot of these, but then i'm rarely in favor of live action adaptions of anything. i mean bleach is a series that takes years to finish a single story arch what are they going to do in a 2 hour movie?
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicMenace View Post
KILLER!!. love anime.
always thought anime films would be great live action films if done right.
the ones that are currently in production or in planning state you mention that i would love to see is..
Voltron, Ghost in the shell and Bleach.
hopefully Voltron will be done extremely well and not be anything like the powerangers films. its going to have to be totally over the top spfx & vfx to be successful. not to menton the story. the plot i beleieve we all know what that is. and is it going to be the 5 lions? or is it going to be Voltron vehicle force? i would prefer the 5 lions where it is on another planet taking on king Zarcon and prince Lothor.
Bleach would be killer too see in live action for sure too...
but out of those 3 (even though im a die hard Voltron fan) Ghost in the shell is one killer anime that i think will cross over extremely well to the live action genre. and i hope they use the original soundtrack from the animated film. loved that sound tack and how it worked with the movie.

Anime movies that arent on that liost and should be IMO are.
Ninja Scroll. by far the best martial arts Anime film ever IMO. this film needs to be done.
Akira is another classic anime that needs to be done.
Wicked city and Demon city Shinjuku. these two would killer live action films.
Vampire hunter D. another killer classic anime film. even " VHD blood lust" would be killer to see in live action.
Bio Hunter, Genocyber. two cool anime films. even Bastard woudl be cool to see in live action.

a few for the kids that would be very killer to see is, Spirited away, Princess mononoke, Steamboy. Howl's Moving Castle.

there are so many killer anime films that could be killer live action films if done the right way.
im hoping and praying one day they will make these films into live action.
Ninja Scroll, Akira and Wicked City were originally planned to be adapted but they got lost in development hell. Probably some of the movies I listed will also be cancelled but we can only hope.

As for Wicked City http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105869/
Old 07-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Death Note already had 3 live action Japanese films so a US version should be well received if the script is right. I would personally love to see another DOA done or a live action High School of the Dead or Elfen Lied done (the 2nd has to be R rated).
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

Gus Van Sant is going to direct the Death Note movie. Keanu Reeves was originally to star as Spike in a Cowboy Bebop adaptation but it got canceled.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroid View Post
Ninja Scroll, Akira and Wicked City were originally planned to be adapted but they got lost in development hell. Probably some of the movies I listed will also be cancelled but we can only hope.

As for Wicked City http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105869/
well that was stupid..lol

yeah i know about that wicked city movie. but we are talking hollywood here. would like to see hoollywood's take on these anime films. but done right. make them as the animated films were. but better.
but yeah thats a tall task.
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:31 AM   #8
premium_substit
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I know Pacific Rim was paying homage to kaiju etc, but it really felt like I was watching a live-action anime, there's definitely a few anime elements in there
premium_substit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:29 AM   #9
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by premium_substit View Post
I know Pacific Rim was paying homage to kaiju etc, but it really felt like I was watching a live-action anime, there's definitely a few anime elements in there
oh very much,the cowboy pilots, the stern commander,the last minute suit up,can go on and on.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:32 AM   #10
Vracula
Jedi Order

HELLLOOOOO ???? HELLSING???? Vampires ,zombie's,nazi's,Dracula?? can't make it any easier for hollywood!
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote