Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #11
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Léon View Post
Joe, have you read Bendis' run on Daredevil?
I prefer his run to Brubakers', but only by a small margin.
Hi Léon! Not only have I read Bendis' run on Daredevil, I reviewed every issue when it came out and own all the oversized HC compilations. I loved what he and Maleev did on the book but, maybe opposite of you, I prefer Brubakers' work by only a small margin to Bendis'.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjazz View Post
He thinks through the ramifiactions of his plot devices and never takes the cheap way out. Whether someone loves or hates his writing, they have to respect him.

This is what makes for a great editor in chief. Right now, you don't get the sense that there's much forethought in what Marvel does. What also makes Brubaker work is that he clearly cares about what he's doing...

Sadly, the same can't be said about Spiderman. From him joining the Avengers, to the public unmasking, to the shooting of Aunt May, to the barely comprehensible magic-fixing-everything scenario, to the resurrection of Aunt May, to the break up of MJ and Peter, to bringing back Harry and so on and on, I never got the sense that the present EIC had a good handle on things with Spiderman or of what the public would enjoy with Spiderman. Spiderman has never been in worse shape.

Does anyone else agree with that?
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #13
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

I've stuck with Spider-Man, but read it as if it has been reset. They have taken the cheap way out with Spidey.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #14
protector2814
Phoenix

I do not like his writing in Daredevil. I think he's just spinning his wheels on that title. I am however, enjoying Captain America so I'm on the fence with this guy. I.M.O., he has a tendancy to drag things out. I'm left with the impression that comics may not be his medium. He'd be better with TV or Film screenplays; somplace meant to be darker.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #15
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
This is what makes for a great editor in chief. Right now, you don't get the sense that there's much forethought in what Marvel does. What also makes Brubaker work is that he clearly cares about what he's doing...

Sadly, the same can't be said about Spiderman. From him joining the Avengers, to the public unmasking, to the shooting of Aunt May, to the barely comprehensible magic-fixing-everything scenario, to the resurrection of Aunt May, to the break up of MJ and Peter, to bringing back Harry and so on and on, I never got the sense that the present EIC had a good handle on things with Spiderman or of what the public would enjoy with Spiderman. Spiderman has never been in worse shape.

Does anyone else agree with that?
I'm not sure that I agree that Spidey's never been in worse shape, but the rest of it I'm on board with.

Quote:
I prefer Brubakers' work by only a small margin to Bendis'.
I concur with this, too--which is to take nothing from Bendis' run. Personally, there were storylines in Bendis' run that I didn't like at all (Echo). But I'd still say that the best DD writers in recent memory have been Brubaker, Miller, and Bendis.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #16
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

I have not read any of his DC stuff, but everything that I have read from him at Marvel has been great. Given the number of comics he has written, those are pretty high odds to put out that much quality product consistently.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #17
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

In a word, No.

I respect him for his love of comics and continuity, just as I love Johns.

They will always have my complete respect.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #18
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
I'm not sure that I agree that Spidey's never been in worse shape, but the rest of it I'm on board with.

You'll have to excuse my Spidey-lore as I stopped buying Spidey after the clone saga (ugggh). I hopped back on board when JMS started writing it.

Was there something in between that was even worse?

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:22 PM   #19
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Some have said he's too dark on DD, which I can see. Still, he's the best DD writer since Frank Miller.
Au contraire mon frere!

Brubaker's been great on DD, but I think Bendis' run on Dd may have been a little bit better. Bendis was the one who unmasked DD in the first place...all of that prison drama, the Kingpin, Bullseye, Punisher...and that last issue of Bendis' run was a pure CLASSIC.
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #20
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I do not like his writing in Daredevil. I think he's just spinning his wheels on that title. I am however, enjoying Captain America so I'm on the fence with this guy. I.M.O., he has a tendancy to drag things out. I'm left with the impression that comics may not be his medium. He'd be better with TV or Film screenplays; somplace meant to be darker.
I agree. I'm not a big fan of this current Mr. Fear storyline.
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote