Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 05-16-2016, 06:53 PM   #101
KELPIE
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
Sailor Moon is legendary dude. It is seen as the gold standard of an entire genre. If anything it is Guyver that seems completely random.
Certainly everyone knows it, however without meaning to offend, it was always a show for girls where I grew up. If that's not the case then I apologise.
KELPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #102
Inkedsushi
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yipkusing View Post
Chirp chirp brah?
Truth brah. Grow up.
Inkedsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #103
Guilty
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
Certainly everyone knows it, however without meaning to offend, it was always a show for girls where I grew up. If that's not the case then I apologise.
No big deal, it's an everybodys show though.
Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:33 PM   #104
Silverine
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
I think if someone who does not like anime sees you watching this he be like WTF dude

I for one did not really watch it but without a doubt this show is really oldschool anime and for some DBZ like, so yeah to each their own I guess. however a statue of a hot anime girl in that outfit is T&A so I guess alot of people who dont even know the show would like it:P depending on the price haha
Silverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:07 AM   #105
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

Its Evo I never liked... Everybody and their mothers telling me how great it is- so I was enjoying it then on the last episode I wanted to throw my remote through the tv lol.

Theres quite a bit of evo stuff out there already, havent seen much of the mechs though and I bet P1 would make some impressive looking ones.
FriendlySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:45 AM   #106
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlySamurai View Post
Its Evo I never liked... Everybody and their mothers telling me how great it is- so I was enjoying it then on the last episode I wanted to throw my remote through the tv lol.

Theres quite a bit of evo stuff out there already, havent seen much of the mechs though and I bet P1 would make some impressive looking ones.
I assume you're talking about Evangelion (EVA)?

Of course the last episodes weren't the mech action payoff everyone was expecting, but in retrospect, they perfectly deal with the internal struggle of Shinji and the underlying themes of the whole story. It helps if you're aware of Anno's issues at the time, and how that informed the storytelling. It's pure genius, imo.

And of course if you want mech action, End of Evangelion suitably complements the last couple episodes.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #107
SONICobra
Batman

hey bro im assuming you've seen some of the reboot movies, what you think?
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:56 AM   #108
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

The last section of Evangelion suffered greatly from a combination of a mental breakdown by the director and extremely poor budgeting by the team in general. Lack of budgeting is a consistent issue that Gainax, and the subsequent Trigger, suffer from throughout history lol.

The merit of Evangelion lies in its strong story telling, cast, and action in the first sections of the series. The last part is intriguing and can leave a lot to think about, but it's hard not to look at it as just mediocre attempts to try to compensate for a lack of funding.

That being said the series as a whole serves a nice purpose of being a fantastic deconstruction of the mecha genre. In the seventies super robot shows were for the most part happy go lucky kids summoning giant robots to battle out against crazy stuff. It was fun and campy. Eighties mecha was a little more grimdark. By the nineties the genre was really starting to slow down and Evangelion came in and picked apart the conventions by presenting a protagonist not so eager to pilot a mech.

It's hard not to look back and think of the franchise fondly as it really rejuvenated the genre for a lot of people, and also is one of the heavy hitters for complex anime. I can understand how people these days may not be able to get into it though.

It's a weird comparison, but I would say Evangelion is somewhat to the mech genre as Watchmen was to superheroes. The more familiar you are with the conventions and traditions, the more you can appreciate what it was trying to do.

And of course the mechs and fight scenes are top notch so it's still awesome all the same
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #109
Silverine
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
The last section of Evangelion suffered greatly from a combination of a mental breakdown by the director and extremely poor budgeting by the team in general. Lack of budgeting is a consistent issue that Gainax, and the subsequent Trigger, suffer from throughout history lol.

The merit of Evangelion lies in its strong story telling, cast, and action in the first sections of the series. The last part is intriguing and can leave a lot to think about, but it's hard not to look at it as just mediocre attempts to try to compensate for a lack of funding.

That being said the series as a whole serves a nice purpose of being a fantastic deconstruction of the mecha genre. In the seventies super robot shows were for the most part happy go lucky kids summoning giant robots to battle out against crazy stuff. It was fun and campy. Eighties mecha was a little more grimdark. By the nineties the genre was really starting to slow down and Evangelion came in and picked apart the conventions by presenting a protagonist not so eager to pilot a mech.

It's hard not to look back and think of the franchise fondly as it really rejuvenated the genre for a lot of people, and also is one of the heavy hitters for complex anime. I can understand how people these days may not be able to get into it though.

It's a weird comparison, but I would say Evangelion is somewhat to the mech genre as Watchmen was to superheroes. The more familiar you are with the conventions and traditions, the more you can appreciate what it was trying to do.

And of course the mechs and fight scenes are top notch so it's still awesome all the same
Still the anime was fun, but in my eyes the rebuild movies are better but not done yet we still need the last movie. and the manga was the most complete version!
Silverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:20 PM   #110
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

I have yet to see the remake movies. From what I remember the manga was indeed a lot more complete, but I recall not being 100% happy with some of the differences between it and the anime. It does flesh out some characters that really needed it though, specifically Toji.
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote