Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #31
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I suppose it's good art if you like Hulk and all

And I think the lines add character, shows it's the real deal.
Demona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #32
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

It could be inked over bluelines – not a bad idea. I would be interested to know if an inked copy exists or if the inks were added digitally. I certainly would not touch the original page – it would stay as-is. There is something to be said about having a page from Carlo with just pencils. As much as I love inked pages, I think having a pencils only Carlo page is something special (I love my Carlo cover with pencils only as much as the inked pieces I have). This page is a treasure for any PH art collector. The blue lines and even the moisture spots are part of the page and provide insight into its history. To me it is akin to looking at an older page with whiteout, pasted on word balloons, comments in the margins, etc. Every page has a story and part of these are what was happening when Carlo had them. All of this is coming from a self-admitted huge fan of both the PH story line and Carlo as an artist. The pages are simply irresistible to those of us that love Carlo’s art and PH. I can totally see where others would not want to buy the pages due to the moisture. Heck, between the wrestling that us Hulk fans do for some of these pages, I can’t imagine how much demand there would be if the moisture wasn’t there.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #33
Mean Green
Fantomah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
It could be inked over bluelines – not a bad idea. I would be interested to know if an inked copy exists or if the inks were added digitally. I certainly would not touch the original page – it would stay as-is. There is something to be said about having a page from Carlo with just pencils. As much as I love inked pages, I think having a pencils only Carlo page is something special (I love my Carlo cover with pencils only as much as the inked pieces I have). This page is a treasure for any PH art collector. The blue lines and even the moisture spots are part of the page and provide insight into its history. To me it is akin to looking at an older page with whiteout, pasted on word balloons, comments in the margins, etc. Every page has a story and part of these are what was happening when Carlo had them. All of this is coming from a self-admitted huge fan of both the PH story line and Carlo as an artist. The pages are simply irresistible to those of us that love Carlo’s art and PH. I can totally see where others would not want to buy the pages due to the moisture. Heck, between the wrestling that us Hulk fans do for some of these pages, I can’t imagine how much demand there would be if the moisture wasn’t there.
I actually asked Kirk about that and he was supposed to get back to me. The page does seem finished enough where it could have been completed digitally.. I'll just have to ask Carlo in person come June
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #34
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

If the storm damage scares some people away, then it just means more pages for us GBs!

I'm with young David on this; I think the damage does add "character" to the pages (it sounds like bullsh!t, but it isn't). None of my other OA has "damage", so it actually is unique in its own way in that sense, and draws attention, since people initially ask "why is that page dirty?" and you get to say that it survived a tsunami/typhoon/some natural disaster involving water.

They're very light brown stains, though... it's not the end of the world for the affected pieces.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #35
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
I actually asked Kirk about that and he was supposed to get back to me. The page does seem finished enough where it could have been completed digitally.. I'll just have to ask Carlo in person come June
Watch Carlo send Kirk in his place.

Wait.. that would screw Steve, too.... never mind.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #36
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
I really can't stress it too much without coming off as being defensive (since I bought so many of these pages ) but it really isn't that bad in person. Because I darkened the jpeg file to accentuate the pencils, the brown spots were enhanced as well, along with the blue pencils. Some are definitely worse than others. But I guess it really comes down to the level of comfort a collector has. To be honest, I can't say for certain whether I would've bought so many of these pages if they weren't from my favorite storyline from one of my favorite artists.
I agree - when you see the damage in person it's not bad - I have a page from this storyline - it has some spots - but it's still a great page!
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote