Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Diamond Select

Old 04-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
sternn
Doh!

C2E2 2012 Lady Death "Alive" statue with grayish hair

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum with a small but growing collection of mostly Diamond Select and Sideshow. I recently picked up a Diamond Select Lady Death "Alive" variant statue that I think has a rather noticeable problem. The statue was sold from Diamond Select's booth at the recent C2E2 (Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo) and then listed on Ebay, which is where I bought it.

Anyhow, the problem is her hair. What should be a nice, solid yellow/blonde is shot through with a bluish gray color that looks very out of place. Also, this does appear to be an actual gray/blue color applied to the hair and not simply the yellow or her hair rubbing off to reveal the basecoat/primer. See the pics below.

When I first saw the statue in my hands, I thought that I must have gotten the one lame duck out of a hundred. But after some searching for pics of this statue online, I see several examples of her that look similarly marred by a shoddy paint job.

I guess my question for you all is this: does anyone else have this statue, and did yours come with the gray/blue streaks through her hair? I'm just looking to discover whether this "feature" is standard or an actual defect.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

sternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Hi and welcome to the forum. I don't have this piece but her hair does need to be touched up a little bit. I believe this was limited to a rather smal edition size correct? Like 100?
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
Kindol
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Couldn't you of atleast posted pics of the whole statue so that we can all oogle and drool over it?
Kindol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme

Total noob fatal error breaking Rule #2.1.3. "Keeping pics of hot statues to himself/herself".

You gotta hurry up and make amends and new friends fast, man.
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
Spazzy
Hercules

just saw the proto pics for this and it actually looks pretty good, this was a total rush job on the paint, I would probably consider it if it was like the proto, only $75. Too small of a piece to take time and repaint it though, but it does give me an idea fro the Sideshow Lady death
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I saw this piece in person at C2E2. I don't remember those gray streaks in the hair, but on the other hand, I only saw them in their boxes, not out in the open.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
fderado
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Hey, welcome to the forum. Thought of purchasing this but when Lady Death PF came out there was no question as to which one I would be buying. How do you find it overall?
....and yeah, we need full sized pics of her.
fderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
Weiworks
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

The Diamond Select stuff is generally lower quality. They are more for mass markets at lower prices. The whole Femme Fatale line is like that. That's why it's so cheap. For a quality resin figure these days, you're looking at $175 MSRP and above. So you get what you pay for.

-Wei
Sexy Drawings | Sexy Statues
Weiworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
sternn
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
I believe this was limited to a rather smal edition size correct? Like 100?
Yes, I think you're right, 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fderado View Post
Hey, welcome to the forum. Thought of purchasing this but when Lady Death PF came out there was no question as to which one I would be buying. How do you find it overall?
Except for the hair, I think she's great. I'm a Lady Death fan, so I guess I'll be keeping her, but I'll probably also be repainting her hair. I'm also looking forward to the Sideshow Lady Death PF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiworks View Post
The Diamond Select stuff is generally lower quality. They are more for mass markets at lower prices. The whole Femme Fatale line is like that. That's why it's so cheap. For a quality resin figure these days, you're looking at $175 MSRP and above. So you get what you pay for.
I was never under any illusion that the Diamond Select Femme Fatales line was a benchmark of quality. However, I own a number of other Diamond Select figures, and they're all painted much more competently than this Lady Death Alive variant, at least so far as the hair is concerned. I think someone just dropped the ball on this one and didn't care enough to make it right.

Thanks for all the comments, and for those who wanted to see a full length shot, here you go...and also one with her pale-skinned cousin

sternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:28 AM   #10
skorpsta
Ghost

very nice
skorpsta is offline   Reply With Quote