Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 10-07-2021, 11:28 AM   #1
craigcliff1
The Masters of Evil

Who is going to keep collecting and who is going to quit ?

I don't have a any license I want now that PCS canceled G1 YF.

I remember when I got my first piece 15 years ago, was like a kid in a candy store. SSD Executor polystone model. I was so excited, then found GG SW maquettes, then with a year or so SSC showed their Speeder Bike PF, got that, then got SW PF and dios. 4F had TF Joes licenses, then MR, Got Falcon, AT AT, Snowspeeder, Blasters, sabers

F4F canceled TF Joe licenses, but a lot of other stuff i wanted

MR didn't have SW license now

Didn't want GG SW maquettes now.

SSC canceled SW dios license

statues shipping now too much, and now taxes. statues shipping use to cheap, they aren't now. then we now have taxes

resell is a joke, not enough you can't get much for your statues, but then shipping is so much, then taxes, buyer can't give as much money when they have that tax

scammers. This one stinks a lot. Now I wont ship my statues, been scammed on 2,000, then throw in 2,000 as a buyer. I wouldn't have stated collecting if I had known about scammers. that was why I kept my boxes, I wouldn't keep them

thing is I have stay on internet a lot with ebay so many ebay collectors are flakes now, I get an email, I tell them what they asked about, don't get a new email from them, wasn't like that years ago. now I have to email someone ebay within a few hours, they are like took you too long don't want it now

stinks I loved colleting was fun thing to do when not doing my other hobbies, I think I am out 20,00 from doing this hobby, wasn't that much fun

read lots of collectors have quit and others are going to quit.
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:00 PM   #2
Augen
The Hulk

Not quitting, but I am filling out my space and looking to slow down in coming years to either cycle pieces or be content with it existing in current form.

I have no idea as to the shifts in demographics of collectors. I'm sure many got out before and right when I got in. If anything with prices and options I feel like the hobby must be much larger than a decade ago.

I do wonder about saturation and pricing (piece+fees+tax+shipping) taking their toll. I said if 1:4 get above $1K I'm done and we have raced there far quicker than I imagined. There is only so much budgeted so if price is up then total pieces goes down.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:03 PM   #3
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Already slowed way down. Only bought one this year. Sold a few. Now it has to be special for me to buy.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:10 PM   #4
craigcliff1
The Masters of Evil

It's an awesome side hobby, just too ruined now. I would get a Kids Logic Robotech they just do that many. yes it lots bigger than it was then, I would get PCS TF one a year like I have, but they aren't doing those now, not anything that I have to have now
Old 10-07-2021, 12:13 PM   #5
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

I am not quitting but I have slowed way down.

With prices constantly going up there are no more impulse buys. I no longer have the "complete the line" mentality I used to have.

I'm focusing more on a few characters and trying to only buy 1/6 to keep my wallet happy. There are exceptions of course. A few characters I really want of statues that have never been made I would like to have as long as the prices are not ridiculous.

I'm looking at you Iron Studios BTTF 1/10 Diorama.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:19 PM   #6
craigcliff1
The Masters of Evil

There were so many characters from TF, Joes, SW i wanted, just a few got a statue,, be great if some company did those bit they wont. for about 5 years would get any statue I liked. then went to just a few a year, then to just one or so a year.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:19 PM   #7
Gerard
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
I am not quitting but I have slowed way down.

With prices constantly going up there are no more impulse buys. I no longer have the "complete the line" mentality I used to have.

I'm focusing more on a few characters and trying to only buy 1/6 to keep my wallet happy. There are exceptions of course. A few characters I really want of statues that have never been made I would like to have as long as the prices are not ridiculous.

I'm looking at you Iron Studios BTTF 1/10 Diorama.
Prices are crazy. Not just statues but also greedy shipping company prices !!
It is insane how this hobby went down ....
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:29 PM   #8
Mister H
Green Goblin

I would like to quit but recently there has been an influx of great Batman sculpts. I'll stick to pieces that hit me in the face like the Iron Studios Punisher and PCS Dredd. The SS Cap and Batman Begins have done that. The XM Darth Revan as well. IF Prime 1 ever puts out the Pattinson Batman I'll order that but then after that who knows.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:50 PM   #9
Yojimbo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I recently got into it a year or so ago.

Bought a lot of what I liked (glad companies are releasing pieces im interested in).

But now, since I basically got everything I would want, have slowed down drastically. The high prices I don’t mind , if the piece is worth it. However, the quality seemed to stay the same, or got worse than previous years with a price hike. I pay for value … and it’s not there anymore.

Example would be Grievous from SSC. Value isn’t there.
Another would be the 1:3 P1 Jungle Hunter. I PO’d it … but I’m still skeptical the value will be there.

Unless something is a must have, I’m holding off. A must have for me is something like XM Revan/Malak… which holds a very special significance for me so it was a must.
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:55 PM   #10
ukshaun
Hercules

I have been meaning to quite for a while. I am slowly getting there.
Fact is, there is more 'stuff' i want. Money and Space are an issue.
My wallet is looking miserable at the moment. Once i stop with the big 1/4 1/3 statues, i might focus more on 1/6 figures, before quitting.

When the day arrives to quit, i could entertain the idea of selling a piece to buy a new piece

I find the amount of pieces being released, and the number of companies involved, overwhelming at times. Too much stuff on offer, with prices forever increasing.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote