Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 08-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #11
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentU7 View Post
Ok, thanks. I think I understand. For my needs I"ll just buy the cheaper one.
Ya you will be fine with the Apoxie.

But down the line if you decide to start building onto statues or kits. The Fix it will come in handy.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #12
Moogled
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I visited my local art shop today and they had Super Sculpey in stock.

How does it compare? I would order Aves if need be but if Super Sculpey would suffice for building kits, then I might pick that up instead.

However, it looks like it won't dry like Aves would, though.
Moogled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:02 PM   #13
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Super Sculpty has to be baked in a oven. So unless you know if the kit or statue can be put in a over at the temp sculpty need to bake, without blowing up, melting or warping. Then its not a safe bet to use it.

Super Sculpty is more of a clay that you sculpt with then bake the finished product. Aves is the choice of kit building.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:32 PM   #14
Moogled
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Cool beans, you're the best Vince
Moogled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:32 AM   #15
RickDTM
Master Painter
Painter

Definitely w/ Danno and Vince here as far as the use of Fix-it goes. I used to use the Sculpt primarily, but the more I've used the Fix-it the better I like it.
RickDTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:21 PM   #16
UnicornPegasus
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

I know I'm dredging up an old thread here, but I'm looking to try out some products Aves has on sale right now, and I'm wondering what the difference between Aves "Fix-it" and Aves "Fix-it Sculpt" would be? (Fix-It is on sale, Fix-It Sculpt isn't.)

And any opinions on colored Aves Epoxy Sculpt? I've only worked with white and grey/natural, but they have Red, Blue, and Yellow on sale for a really good price. I'm assuming Yellow may be easier to work with just because it's a bit lighter in shade? I'm skipping blue because it's so very dark, I feel like I'd have a hard time with that one. I've seen Vince Vell work with Red and it seems a good mid-range tone too.

That may be rendered moot if I get the "Fix-It" they have on sale though, since it's pure black.

Last question for now, can you combine Epoxy Sculpt and Fix-It, could I do that to make it a grey-ish color from the Black and Yellow combined?

I've only worked with Aves Epoxy sculpt so far, so I'm venturing into uncharted territory for me on this. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
UnicornPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:59 PM   #17
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I had the Apoxie sculpt bronze which is brown and the red, I also use the black and natural fixit sculpt , without a doubt the fixit sculpt is harder and less prone to breakage compared to the Apoxie sculpt, when dried the fixit feels heavier and harder to the feel, the Apoxie sculpt is a little easier and smoother to sculpt, the fixit sculpt holds its shape better than Apoxie sculpt while drying, the fixit compared to the fixit sculpt it’s much easier to sculpt with the fixit sculpt, the fixit is more repair oriented in my opinion to fill holes and add on to already existing shapes.

I have mixed Apoxie sculpt with fixit sculpt with great results, the material is still harder than Apoxie sculpt by itself and easier to sculpt than fixit sculpt by itself. This just my observations with working with the Apoxie products, hope it helps.

warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:44 PM   #18
UnicornPegasus
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I had the Apoxie sculpt bronze which is brown and the red, I also use the black and natural fixit sculpt , without a doubt the fixit sculpt is harder and less prone to breakage compared to the Apoxie sculpt, when dried the fixit feels heavier and harder to the feel, the Apoxie sculpt is a little easier and smoother to sculpt, the fixit sculpt holds its shape better than Apoxie sculpt while drying, the fixit compared to the fixit sculpt it’s much easier to sculpt with the fixit sculpt, the fixit is more repair oriented in my opinion to fill holes and add on to already existing shapes.

I have mixed Apoxie sculpt with fixit sculpt with great results, the material is still harder than Apoxie sculpt by itself and easier to sculpt than fixit sculpt by itself. This just my observations with working with the Apoxie products, hope it helps.

Oh, awesome, thank you for the chart (which I could not find!) and the details. The Fix-It does seem to have very similar properties to Apoxie Sculpt, so I think I'll skip it. I know that I like the Apoxie, so I'll get some of that and my original goal of the Safety Solvent too. Thanks a bunch.
UnicornPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote