Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #11
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Great idea by Lee. Some great sketches so far. Out of my price range but it would be a cool item to have down the road and I love how he is numbering them. I'm guessing Batman is #60.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:10 AM   #12
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Another discussion going on this topic makes me think there are no tax deductions here ...

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/top...thon-sketches/
I read it that they can be tax deductible, but not for the entire price paid. Since art is so subjective in its "fair market value", I am curious to know what a Lee commission value would be. I would suppose a person could compare it to his going rates through Moy and claim the difference?

There has to be a way to claim art as a tax deduction. Charities sell art all the time for these purposes. I sadly, have no need to inquire since no way can I pay $8+K that I can assume a Catwoman or Starfire will go for
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:20 AM   #13
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I read it that they can be tax deductible, but not for the entire price paid. Since art is so subjective in its "fair market value", I am curious to know what a Lee commission value would be. I would suppose a person could compare it to his going rates through Moy and claim the difference?

There has to be a way to claim art as a tax deduction. Charities sell art all the time for these purposes. I sadly, have no need to inquire since no way can I pay $8+K that I can assume a Catwoman or Starfire will go for
It is subjective but there is precedence with Moy commission prices. But even then Jim's prices vary by venue, etc. so it would still be an educated guess. One could also argue that the auction price realized is the FMV price. There are some references to Moy's pricing on that thread. I would not feel comfortable trying to claim it as a write off, even partially, myself. YMMV

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #14
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post

There is a way but you need to be recognized as a charitable institution first. I believe there is paperwork involved and a code number of some kind to follow as well. Sadly, one can't just post something for sale and say "for charity" and expect to use that on your taxes, if that makes any sense.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:15 PM   #15
Bishop40
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Once he said all sketches will be future covers, you knew that none of them will sell for under 5k.
Bishop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:21 AM   #16
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop40 View Post
Once he said all sketches will be future covers, you knew that none of them will sell for under 5k.
All are going to be covers? If that's the case these are great deals.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:05 AM   #17
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop40 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
All are going to be covers? If that's the case these are great deals.

Hmmm... Where did Jim Lee say these would all be future covers? He doesn't mention that on the sales description. If it were true, why not add that to the sales pitch? I doubt everyone bidding even knows that (assuming this is true). I'd bet the bids would be even higher if (more?) people knew these would be used as covers.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:46 AM   #18
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Hmmm... Where did Jim Lee say these would all be future covers? He doesn't mention that on the sales description. If it were true, why not add that to the sales pitch? I doubt everyone bidding even knows that (assuming this is true). I'd bet the bids would be even higher if (more?) people knew these would be used as covers.
from his instagram:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
New wrinkle to this 60 sketches in 60 days—each image will be used as a variant cover for a future DC comic! And all 60 will be collected into a book which will also benefit BINC.
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:55 AM   #19
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Also, DC set-up a charity organization that these sales go thru to help LCBS. So there is solid chance these are deductible.

Somebody with deeper pockets than mine, give it a whirl Or maybe we can all agree on one to bid on and split the cost. Each of us would get to hang it in our house for a month out of the year. An Original Art Custody agreement would need to be drawn up.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:12 AM   #20
SONICobra
Batman

yeah, weve all seen how that works out....

SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote