Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Just The Facts... > Collection Corner

Old 04-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Bmutha's Collection

Hey everyone,

Thought I'd start up one of these collection threads to show off what I got.

Currently, I have the following:

Daredevil Stuff
  1. Bowen Daredevil on Gargoyle (red costume)
  2. Daredevil Life Size Bust
  3. Art Asylum Daredevil on Cross
  4. Kotobukiya Fine Art Daredevil
  5. Hard Hero Daredevil (red costume)
  6. Hard Hero Daredevil (yellow costume)
  7. Gentle Giant Daredevil Mini-Bust
  8. XM Daredevil
  9. Bowen Daredevil museum (yellow suit)
  10. Daredevil PF
  11. Bowen Bullseye
  12. Bowen Kingpin

Spider-Man Stuff
  1. Spider-Man Comiquette (reg)
  2. Venom Comiquette (Reg)
  3. Carnage Comiquette (EX)
  4. Hobgoblin Comiquette (EX)
  5. Bowen Museum Hobgoblin
  6. Kotobukiya Spider-Man Unleashed
  7. Bowen Mysterio
  8. Back-in-Black Spider-Man Comiquette
  9. Custom 1/4 Superior Spider-Man
  10. Amazing Spider-Man PF (EX)
  11. Symbiote Spider-Man PF

X-Men Stuff
  1. XM Wolverine
  2. Gambit PF (EX)
  3. XM Magneto

Other Stuff
  1. Galactus Legendary Scale Bust (EX)
  2. XM Black Bolt
  3. Silver Surfer Comiquette (EX) - Read the review HERE
  4. Gentle Giant Ghost Rider on Bike
  5. Kotobukiya Superman for Tomorrow
  6. Deadpool PF (EX) - Read the review HERE
  7. Green Lantern PF original (EX)
  8. Sinestro PF (EX)
  9. the Crow (Narin 1/4 scale kit)
  10. Tony Chu mini-bust

Pictures to follow! Let me know what you guys think!
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
Bmutha

First up for pics, Batman PF EX. This is one of my favorite pieces. Great presence!

Old 04-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
Bmutha

Here is a quick pic of the "trio" finally together all on one shelf in my PAX. I plan to do some "Blast from the Past" review on these guys, so I will followup with more pics later on.

In case anyone is wondering, I weighed all three of these statues. Venom and Carnage each come in at about 13 lbs. (SS site lists them at 10 lbs. each), and Spider-Man came in at about 16 lbs. (SS site lists him at 25 lbs.). So, the total weight is less than the 44 lbs. PAX shelf capacity, but I added a couple additional metal brackets on each side of the shelf to be safe.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
Bmutha

Here is a shot of the overall collection room, although it is a bit outdated right now (I recently sold off a number of pieces and have moved some pieces around).

Old 04-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #5
Bmutha

As you know, Ikea doesn't make a full height clear door for the "3x1" Besta units, and if you are like me, it drives you crazy if the shelf doesn't line up with the door frame (when using the Tombo doors). So, I created my own using the "VARA" door.

Here is how it turned out (the bottom space is reserved for Thor, but he is currently having some work done):

For those interested, here is how I did it.

The VARA door is a solid particle board unit. I had the middle cut out of door (my father in law did this for free, as he has a wood working business). I left 2.5" along the vertical edges and 2" along the top and bottom edges. (I masked the edges around the opening to help avoid scuff marks etc.)

The problem with cutting particle board is that you are left with a fairly rough surface that doesn't paint very well.

So, instead of painting, I used some pre-glued cabinet edging strips. I was using a white door, so it was easy to find white strip...I know there is a birch colour, too, but not sure about a black-brown. This stuff cost about 3 bucks a roll from Home Depot, and I used two 8' rolls.

So, this stuff works great. You iron it on with a regular house iron...took almost no time at all. I will say that the strips are not very flexible. I had the corners of the opening slightly rounded, and if I did it again, I would go with 90 degree corners. The edging strip did not "bend" through the corners as well as I thought it would. So, just a heads up if anyone wants to give this a go.

The strips are a bit wider than the thickness of the door, so you just have to trim off the excess.

Then, I picked up an acrylic panel from a local plastics manufacturer. The panel I used is 73" tall x 20" wide x 3/16" thick...so the panel was about 0.75" larger than the opening all around. I had the manufacturer drill some 1/8" diameter holes around the perimeter (the center of the hole is 5/16" from the edge of the acrylic panel). In the future, I would drill all the holes myself. I was worried about possibly cracking the acrylic by drilling it, but I ended up drilling a bunch more holes with a regular 1/8" drill bit, and it was super easy...no problems at all. They actually charged me a lot to drill the holes, so I could have saved a good amount of money had I known.

Anyway, then I simply screwed the panel to the back side of the door with #6 screws (5/8" long, with a pan head).

I actually used about 20 screws, to make sure the panel was "sucked tight" to the door frame all around. The nice thing is that this assembly weighs about 12 lbs less than the original VARA door, so the unit doesn't tip when the door is wide open (even when it's empty).
Old 04-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
Bmutha

Here is a piece that I just recently sold off. Love this piece, but I'm saving for an Amazing Fantasy 15, so some good pieces had to go.

This is a character that I never paid any attention to growing up...hardly knew he existed, to be honest.

But, I have a 2.5 year old son, and together we watched the entire series of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (great series, by the way...wish they didn't cancel it).

And I saw this scene:

Instantly made me a fan!

Then, of course there is this teaser for the upcoming movie:

So, I ended up picking up this Bowen Ant Man Deluxe Edition. This is my one and only Bowen piece, and I generally don't care for Bowen, but this piece is an exception. The smaller scale actually works well with my other pieces (let's face it, if there is one character where scale is not an issue, it's Ant Man). The paint and quality on this look really good to me. Nice clean sculpt and clean paint app. I love, love, love the growing/shrinking appearance given by the two smaller figures.

Hank Pym as a character still leaves me a bit confused (Ant Man, Giant Man, Goliath, Yellow Jacket etc), but he's a character I am now pretty intrigued by.

Any way, enough with the rambling...here are the pics:

I'm seriously tempted to pick up a Hawkeye now:

Old 04-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #7
Bmutha

Next up, Green Lantern PF EX. I really do not understand the hate for this piece. I think this guy turned out great, and I can't wait to pair him with Sinestro!

Old 04-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #8
Titanchuck
Cyclops
Adamantium Member

Love the room it's looks nice and neat and thanks for the pax info
Titanchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
adee
Green Arrow

Fantastic collection and really well displayed! Love those doors!
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
Luminous
Cyclops

Very elegant display.

Thanks for posting the tutorial on the doors. I may try something similar.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote