Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 04-11-2006, 01:56 AM   #1
bat_collector
Galactus

Moore Studios Kabuki Statue Review

After a brief statue review hiatus, I'm coming back strong and hopefully re-establishing my statue review on Monday routine. This weeks comes my first, but certainly not last, review of a Clay Moore Studio's statue, the Kabuki statue, based off of David Mack's work. This is sculpted by Clay Moore.

Statue Concept:
Concept wise this is one the hardest reviews I've had to do. Being totally unfamilair with Mack's work on Kabuki, I have no source material knowledge to know just how good an adaption this statue is from the work. Pretty much its not much more to me than Hot Asian Ninja Chick. So, if she isn't a ninja assassin, please forgive me, as it seems exactly what she is. However, I can say whatever Moore is going for, its works. Kabuki is standing on a base with two edged weapons ready to strike. The sculpt is supposed to exude a mixture of beauty, sexiness, and deadliness. Dragon-themed tatoo, wrist bands, and blades are in sharp contrast to the angelic, even demure face paint.

The Sculpt:
A fanastic concept is perfeclty executed with a jaw-dropping sculpt. In fact, perfect is the only adjective that I could use that I feel properly describes this statue. A statue should look great from varoius angles, and this one is a home run if displayed from behind, from either side, or from the front.

We should start with her face, which is sculpted very finely and beautfully. Nose, cheek bones, lips, and eyes exude femininity, and are clearly the features of a Japanese woman. The hair, while short, flows slightly on the left side of her face, suggesting movement. Her body also seems to fit what a Ninja assassin would be like. While Moore's Emma Frost and Brandy have large breasts, Kabuki's aren't nearly as large. This is actually a benefit to the statue, giving her a seperate look from those women, and also seems to fall more in like with what a ninja woman would look like.

Her arms and back are a beauty, as well. While not overtly muscular, her back and arms have an athleticism to them that she would need for her vocation. Her back, finely musculed, again is not too musculed, but instead elegantly so. Her hands gripe to scythe-like weapons with dragon hilts, nothing too special, but a very nice touch. Her hands are covered up to her elbows with a reptilian-like glove. Her legs, finally, are a marvel indeed. She stands on both tiptoes, suggesting not only her being ready to pounce, but also a coy walk toward her next victim. She has leather boots all the way to her thighs, and what thighs those are. Though perhaps slightly too big in the thigh and hind end area, I see it instead as showing her strength and athleticism that is otherwise masked by her general femininity.

In other words, the sculpt itself is a complete knockout, thriving on both the overt and the subtle. This statue is one piece, and is not removable from its base. The base itself is a nice, tall piece of granite with japanese characters on it. Nothing fancy, but it works with the character.

The Paint Job:
The sculpt itself is generally painted well. The dragon tattoo, especially for a large one, is excellently painted. Her arm bands and gloves are also painted nicely and with good detail. Her face is painted especially nice, with her eyes, lips and teardrop standing out from her white face. However, the paint job on her outfit might have been better. My copy came with a small dot of red paint that hit outside the line of her outfit. Her skin tone, while perhaps could have been a bit less pink, is generally a good shade.

Over-All Value:
Make no mistake, this is one of the finer pieces released recently. Even without a familiarity with the comic, she is "comic book" looking enough to fit in with the Black Widow's, Black Cat's, and Storms of the FS world (unlike, say, Brandy). She is also a sculpt that could rise in value. Already holding value well on ebay, she is also sold out at Clay's website. With Aphrodite IX and Magdelena also some pieces that witnessed huge upswings in value despite being based on generally less popular works, Kabuki may very well join that list. However, for those unfamilair with Mack's comic, the biggest question you may have is will it fit with you other female statues.

Conclusion:
As stated before, this statue fails to disappoint. I first saw this statue and passed on it due to not knowing the source material. However, last week I realized I just wanted it despite its origin. In my opinion, as perfect a statue as can exist, and therefore worthy of my first five out of five stars rating. Now, if only I can figure out how that Brandy (or as I like to call her, girl in a sundress) statue can fit in next to Storm!
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:57 AM   #2
bat_collector
Galactus

Comparison Pics

She'll be a bit bigger than most bowen women, but isn't as tall as Moore's Black Cat. Blame the tall base for her height.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:11 AM   #3
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Sweet Review! I'm glad I got this piece!

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:18 AM   #4
buchieboy
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

this one's pretty cool! the face was done pretty well..moore really knows how to treat the ladies
buchieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:06 PM   #5
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Nice review. I'd have given it 4.5 out of 5 because of the base. Love this sculpt and certainly one of the best female sculpts todate.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:10 PM   #6
ant-man
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

This is one of my favorites...great statue...dont even know much about the character...the sculpt is what sold me....wow...if u can get it now ...do it...
ant-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:43 PM   #7
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye
Nice review. I'd have given it 4.5 out of 5 because of the base. Love this sculpt and certainly one of the best female sculpts todate.
I'm not a fan of the over-bloated base. I love this base! Simple, elegant, and does nothing to detract from the awesome sculpt. Diorama-like bases are nice, but not always needed.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:52 PM   #8
carrillj
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Nice statue, but if I had to nit-pick one detail, it would have to be that the hips and butt were too large. I don't know if that's how she looks in the comics, but her body looks strange with the tiny upper frame and J-Lo booty. Just not very Asian like if you ask me, as I've never seen a Japanese girl with a figure like that. And yes I've seen many Japanese girls.

I figure this is just Moore's trademark style of sculpting and it's obviously working well for him. So what do I know.
carrillj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #9
ant-man
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrillj
Nice statue, but if I had to nit-pick one detail, it would have to be that the hips and butt were too large. I don't know if that's how she looks in the comics, but her body looks strange with the tiny upper frame and J-Lo booty. Just not very Asian like if you ask me, as I've never seen a Japanese girl with a figure like that. And yes I've seen many Japanese girls.

I figure this is just Moore's trademark style of sculpting and it's obviously working well for him. So what do I know.
are u kidding me...thats what makes this statue stand out...looks more realistic and alot more accurate...of a woman...not a bony slimmed down girl..with HUGE boobs...
ant-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:07 PM   #10
carrillj
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant-man
are u kidding me...thats what makes this statue stand out...looks more realistic and alot more accurate...of a woman...not a bony slimmed down girl..with HUGE boobs...
I don't know what you mean about more realistic and accurate, since women come in all shapes and sizes. I never said Kabuki should be slim with big boobs either.

I will say that if it were sculpted with ethnicity in mind, then it would probably be a less appealing statue.
carrillj is offline   Reply With Quote