Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
risingstar
Jedi Order

A way to save on shipping costs, especially for Canadians.

I believe I brought this up in another thread, however, I think it's worth repeating as I really saved cash this week by using this alternative means of shipping.

Do any of you have a FedEx account? I do. It certainly makes things a cinch to send stuff. Thing is, whenever I can, or whenever it seems necessary, I ask sellers if they would not mind if I took care of shipping on my end. I would only do this if it was worth my trouble.

Case in point: Last week, I wanted to buy a lithograph on eBay. It costs $60. I was fine with that. However, the shipping fee from Anaheim to Montreal was priced at $125. That seemed really off. This is a 2 pound item. After some back and forth with a reasonable seller, he let me arrange to have FedEx pick up the item for me from their shop. I completed all the paperwork on my end. All the seller had to do was pack up the item. FedEx charged me $18. That is a huge difference in price. In summary, instead of paying $185, I only paid $78.

I haven't used this means of shipping-to-myself often, however, whenever I have, I always saved big bucks in shipping fees. I recommend taking this route whenever possible.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I believe I brought this up in another thread, however, I think it's worth repeating as I really saved cash this week by using this alternative means of shipping.

Do any of you have a FedEx account? I do. It certainly makes things a cinch to send stuff. Thing is, whenever I can, or whenever it seems necessary, I ask sellers if they would not mind if I took care of shipping on my end. I would only do this if it was worth my trouble.

Case in point: Last week, I wanted to buy a lithograph on eBay. It costs $60. I was fine with that. However, the shipping fee from Anaheim to Montreal was priced at $125. That seemed really off. This is a 2 pound item. After some back and forth with a reasonable seller, he let me arrange to have FedEx pick up the item for me from their shop. I completed all the paperwork on my end. All the seller had to do was pack up the item. FedEx charged me $18. That is a huge difference in price. In summary, instead of paying $185, I only paid $78.

I haven't used this means of shipping-to-myself often, however, whenever I have, I always saved big bucks in shipping fees. I recommend taking this route whenever possible.
Wow! That's a huge difference. Great tip, RS!
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Wonder if it works from a sellers perspective too?

Great tip RS!
Old 09-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Nice this could be a solution for all internationals buying from the US.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Wonder if it works from a sellers perspective too?

Great tip RS!

It certainly worked out with/for the sellers I've had dealings with.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
It certainly worked out with/for the sellers I've had dealings with.

I think he means if a seller wins their own auction would this be a good way for the seller to ship themselves the item.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote