Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 06-01-2019, 07:22 PM   #1
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

Talking Dheeraj Verma and Jason Moore do Superman

This commission by penciler Dheeraj Verma and inker Jason Moore-- picked up at Motor City Comic Con last month -- had a huge, very unforeseen delay. It was originally supposed to be finished by the end of 2018, to be a Superman 80th anniversary piece. Unfortunately, the postal service decided to fold the original pencil piece into thirds, even though Verma had explicitly written on the package NOT to fold or bend it, so he had to redraw the entire thing from scratch and use a different postal company to send it out.

By the time the new pencils arrived, it was already early 2019, so the 80th anniversary was missed completely. Moore was already on tap to ink it, so at February's Great Lakes Comic Con, I handed it off to him to ink, and what you see above is the final result. I think it goes without saying Verma and Moore made a very good team, and hopefully I can arrange for Moore to ink one of Verma's He-Man pinups for me later on.

By the by, here's the original, damaged pencil piece. I flattened it out as best I could, but those creases are painfully obvious in the scan I was able to make. Moore, Bob Wiacek, and Al Milgrom all think it can still be inked over the pencils without too much trouble, so I might look into it down the road.

As for Verma, I have a Batman pencil commission in the works from him as a companion piece to the Superman art. I'll be eager to see how that one turns out.
greenjeans1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:07 PM   #2
whd
Suicide Squad

Not familiar with either of them, but the piece came out great! Congrats!
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:25 PM   #3
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by whd View Post
Not familiar with either of them, but the piece came out great! Congrats!
Verma's the regular penciler on Lady Death, and has had runs on GI Joe and Transformers.

Moore is Kelley Jones' and Kyle Hotz's regular inker of late (Jones on Batman: Haunted Gotham and The Crusades, Hotz on Evil Ernie and Kingstone Comics' Bible adaptations). He's also one of the founders of He-Man.org, and still inks a lot of the official He-Man art for Mattel.

This commission marked the first time these two had ever been paired up.
greenjeans1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:28 PM   #4
pwimrbarnes
Justice League

this is a great piece. Looking forward to seeing the Batman!
pwimrbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote