Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #11
protector2814
Phoenix

3 deep & I'm not too impressed. It's like fantasy for spinsters with cats, easily digestable & not too challenging. How in the hell were all these Gelflings taken over by these shell-less turtle & Vulture characters who all seem slow & dimwitted. Also, at least for me, you never don't see Muppets. It's like watching all those old Gary Anderson' Supermarionation' Puppet people. I can't get past it. I remember thinking the same thing when I saw the original Dark Crystal at the movies & nothing's changed.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:31 PM   #12
Gruson
Suicide Squad

The gelflings look pretty bad IMO. Kira and Jen were much more realistic looking and performed better too. Guess that’s he Jim Henson and Frank Oz magic for you.
Some of the voices they cast are just annoying and hard to get through scenes...like the one female Skeksis. Yikes.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #13
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Several of my friends have watched this and loved it. I haven't watched and probably won't. As a kid watching the Gelflings get drained of their essence really F'ed me up. The Skesis are things of my nightmares.

I know, it's nuts that it freaks me out this much as an almost 40 year old, but it just does. I love(d) the hell out of JAWS as a kid, but give me creepy puppets that eat souls and I'm scarred for life.
Demona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #14
Augen
The Hulk

I'm three episodes in and thus far love it. I think it looks absolutely beautiful on my 4K television. I've paused multiple times to marvel at the art and puppets.

I have no complaints and very curious how the story goes as it takes the inevitably grim conclusion.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:51 PM   #15
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Ok, just finished it. It does get good, real good at times. You have to get through the first two episodes. That last half is where it’s actually really intense.

I am still very disappointed in the score though. The original movie has so many wonderful themes. They played the crystal theme just twice in the new series. That’s it. While there are some other new themes which are ok, the score just pales in comparison to Trevor Jones original.

That’s my biggest complaint. The show is good though.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:50 PM   #16
nameivom
The Herculoids

I finished it the other day. I like what they did with the mythology and production value is through the roof but the overall story for the first season is rather thin for 10 hour long episodes.
nameivom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:12 AM   #17
Rom-El
Blue Falcon

Bummed there won't be a Season 2. But I guess the appeal wasn't broad enough. Netflix said it was expensive and the ratings weren't good enough.

Season 1 had its problems. As said, the story was thin for the 10 episodes. And even then it wasn't resolved by the end. All the different Gelfling factions and backstories made it all a bit convoluted. So it could be hard for a newbie to get into. But I wanted to see where it was going. I wonder in what medium they will tell the rest of the story. Whether a movie, animation, graphic novel etc.
Rom-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #18
Augen
The Hulk

I adore the first season. It was maybe the best thing I've seen Netflix make. Real shame won't see it continue with a second season.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote