Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 06-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

Paying for statues w/ a debit card.

I'm a cash only kinda guy, so when I buy statues on-line I usually end up using a bank/debit card. Funny thing, and I've only recently started noticing this/paying attention. When I cancel an order or am refunded for a mistake made by the e-company, (ex: a shipping charge that's removed to be later added on upon actual shipping) the refund ends up coming out as an additional charge. Is this just me? Have any of you guys had trouble w/ refunds on a bank card? I'm not blaming the statue companies, I think that there's some sort of weird flaw in the process. I've even started noticing this w/ other venues like restaurants.
I believe it may have something to do w/ the refund process. The card is treated like a CC when it's not.
When I bring it to the attention of the statue companies, they understandably explain that they filed a refund but... when it shows up on my statement, it's an additional charge.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I've never had that problem.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
I've never had that problem.
nor I

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

What do you mean it shows up as an additional charge? If you mean it shows up as a positive number, that is because it is being credited to your account.

For instance, lets say you made 5 charges for $100 each. Your balace is, in effect, -$500 (negative $500) since you owe $500. When you are credited, you will receive a positive charge. So, if you get refunded $50, it would show up as +$50, so your balance (-$500 plus +50) would then be -$450.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
protector2814
Phoenix

No, it's showing up as a negative. This has happened at least 4 times now. I've sent numerous e-mails to the companies but all have assured me that they've applied the refunds. Some very reputable, SF known and loved companies. Small charges mostly but they add up. I had it happen to me on my anniversary last month. The wife and I were over charged one Bombay Saphire Martini that I drank ($12) when I pointed it out to my bartender, he refunded the entire bill w/ tip (god forbid he just give me the $12), then re-charged me the dinner minus one martini. When I read my statment later in the week, I was charged for 2 dinners, martinis, + the phantom drink. Same kinda thing has happened w/ statue related charges. (but I wasn't drinking martinis).
Old 06-16-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

It most likely has to do with how the credit card processes the refunds then. While your charges show up as you make them, most refunds are made at the end of the billing cycle. Just make sure that the bill you receive is the correct amount. So long as thats the case, I suppose it doesn't matter what sort of creative accounting the CC company uses.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:46 PM   #7
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
It most likely has to do with how the credit card processes the refunds then. While your charges show up as you make them, most refunds are made at the end of the billing cycle. Just make sure that the bill you receive is the correct amount. So long as thats the case, I suppose it doesn't matter what sort of creative accounting the CC company uses.
Thank-you for your thoughts everyone. I appreciate them. I asked because I was wondering if when a refund is made as if it's towards a CC, does some sort of financial hiccup occur on account of the card not being an actual CC. I fear my problem lies more w/ my bank then the statue companies. Reading that I seem to be alone in the boat has helped.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
risingstar
Jedi Order

I've stopped using debit cards on PayPal because of the lack of protection. My bank (Charter One) basically told me that if I were to use the debit card on PayPal, I'd be pretty much up sh*t's creek should anything go wrong. While I may be using it as a credit card (which it isn't - even though my bank still benefits from the typical 2% surcharge to Paypal - or any other insitution accepting CC payments) I do not have the typical protections of a CC. So, there's no one to complain to (except PayPal -- and we all know how well that generally goes). Using a debit card is almost like sending a money order.

PayPal would actually prefer you to use your debit card because it takes your CC company out of the equasion so you're left to file your complaint with PayPal. The last people PayPal wants to piss off is Visa or MasterCard so they give in every time. As for the debit card user, it's a far tougher road to get your refund.

Go CC all the way. Whenever I have had an issue with a seller (not many at all, however, there have been a doozy or two), I'm so glad my CC company didn't take PayPal's BS. They said the hell with PayPal's ridiculously long process that gives the seller the opportunity to disappear with your cash.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #9
protector2814
Phoenix

Thanks Risingstar. You brought up points I hadn't even considered. What I think I'll do is get a "statue only" dedicated cc and just pay it off immediately after purchases. This place is great.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
protector2814
Phoenix

One side note, then I'll shut-up. I've had trouble paying for statues w/ postal money-orders too. On account of the seller not notifying me when they recieve payment. This drives me up the wall. One recent purchase I ordered the Item and then checked money order as a payment. When I immediately mailed the MO, I made it crystal clear that I would need e-mail verification of payment recieved. Of coarse I provided my e-mail even though they have it on file. 2 weeks go by...nothing.... 3 weeks, I call 'em. They tell me "nope...never got it". I freak and pay $20 at the Post Office to trace the 2 m.o.'s I sent as payment. After waiting 2 months for a reply, I recieve notice from the post office that the M.O.'s were cashed days before my 1st call. I'm out $20 on the trace. When I phoned the company w/ this news all they could say was ooops, sorry. So damn mad was I. This has happened before and never once have I recieved e-mail notification, that payment's been recieved. What the hell's wrong w/ Money-Orders? ANyone else have problemo's w. m.o.'s?