Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 04-03-2017, 03:05 PM   #511
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopCultureShock View Post
The below is a perfect example of how human perception skews things.

Here is a post saying the Iris is too large. This poster feels strongly enough to post a photoshop showing how it 'should' be

Then below is an actual image of Stallone showing that he has massive iris. Factually. It looks weird BUT its real.

As a professional designer/sculptor for almost 30 years Ive found that everyone SEES DIFFERENTLY

Here is a link about how we see colors differently, but it also applies to things like facial features. Different peoples brains will emphasize different features

http://wonderopolis.org/wonder/do-you-see-what-i-see

If we could compare a scan of Stallone to every sculpture out there I would bet ours is the best likeness.

PS no offense to the poster of the Pshop. It was just a perfect example of an issue all artists run into.
I think as far as 1/4 - 1/3 statues go...I agree...it is by far the best. But don't forget that awesome beautiful Kim lady that does lots of facial sculpts for Blitzway. She's amongst the best in the business...if not the best.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:08 PM   #512
OuttaSight
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
I think as far as 1/4 - 1/3 statues go...I agree...it is by far the best. But don't forget that awesome beautiful Kim lady that does lots of facial sculpts for Blitzway. She's amongst the best in the business...if not the best.
She is the best in the business right now (better than me), but I have the Rocky Blitzway and the nose is too big and the profile curve is incorrect.
OuttaSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:10 PM   #513
OuttaSight
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Geez, that's some expensive material. Is it just because it's not readily available or is there something else that makes it so much more than other resins?
The material isnt expensive. Its because you cant patch it.

With a regular statue you are going to cover it with paint, so if there is an air bubble you just fill it and paint it.

With translucent resin you cant patch it as you will see the patching. Every casting has to come out perfect which means lots of castings get thrown in the garbage to get one perfect one.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:13 PM   #514
SONICobra
Batman

the stuffs overraited imo, ive seen some incredibly lifelike paint applications on standard polystone / resin - sometimes translucent comes off very "toy" looking. again, imo
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:14 PM   #515
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
The material isnt expensive. Its because you cant patch it.

With a regular statue you are going to cover it with paint, so if there is an air bubble you just fill it and paint it.

With translucent resin you cant patch it as you will see the patching. Every casting has to come out perfect which means lots of castings get thrown in the garbage to get one perfect one.
Gotcha, still that's pretty crazy from a production point of view that there's that much fall out in the casting process.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:25 PM   #516
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Because its a full torso, not just a head, its ridiculously expensive. It would increase the retail price by $400-500 and I feel thats too expensive.
Wow, that much? Then I agree entirely, as nice as it is and as much as it adds, I'm not sure it warrants the price of another statue entirely. How do ECC do it then? Their Alien busts are fairly large and covered in it. They have been affordable also so far although I appreciate times are changing quickly.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:31 PM   #517
OuttaSight
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Wow, that much? Then I agree entirely, as nice as it is and as much as it adds, I'm not sure it warrants the price of another statue entirely. How do ECC do it then? Their Alien busts are fairly large and covered in it. They have been affordable also so far although I appreciate times are changing quickly.
Here is how

- Alien bust is way smaller than Rambo
- Alien bust is an alien so if a few casting flaws are in it, people wont notice it
- No mixed media
- No licensing fees
- Toynami owns ECC and they are a big company so they get preferential factory pricing

So its like comparing apples to oranges from a business perspective
Old 04-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #518
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Here is how

- Alien bust is way smaller than Rambo
- Alien bust is an alien so if a few casting flaws are in it, people wont notice it
- No mixed media
- No licensing fees
- Toynami owns ECC and they are a big company so they get preferential factory pricing

So its like comparing apples to oranges from a business perspective

I didn't realise Toynami actually owned ECC, I thought it was Steve Wangs company, it makes sense now knowing that. Although they do presumably have license fees on some of them (close encounters etc) I wasn't comparing their busts to Rambo of course, that would be silly. I just wondered how they seem to pull of translucent resin at a frequency and price others can't seem to currently. Now we know why. Cheers.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #519
Siroco
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Jerry, Why is the arrow so big ?? It is very big.

Siroco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #520
OuttaSight
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siroco View Post
Jerry, Why is the arrow so big ?? It is very big.

I promise you it will be a bit smaller in production