Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > CKinSD Conventions

Old 02-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo (April 26-28 2013)

Looks like its almost that time again fellow Calgarians! who is planning on going? who are you most excited to see?
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
Prevail69
Kindly Asked To Leave

I plan to go to the Vancouver Expo... pretty much the same thing as Calgary im guessing... plus or minus a few guests.

First time going to a Con/expo. Will there be any statues?... I hope so.

I wanna get Stan Lee to sign my Stout Avengers print. and get a pic with Amanda Tapping and Tia Carrere.
Prevail69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

yeah im assuming Vancouver will be more or less the same as Calgary. If its anything like Calgary there will definitely be statues there, not a single con has gone by in Calgary where I havent purchased at least one statue, again vancouver could be different but im sure they'll have at least a few vendors selling statues.

Stan Lee is great, last year I got him to sign the new bowen classic action thor and my bowen chrome surfer, he was super cool!!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
Prevail69
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
yeah im assuming Vancouver will be more or less the same as Calgary. If its anything like Calgary there will definitely be statues there, not a single con has gone by in Calgary where I havent purchased at least one statue, again vancouver could be different but im sure they'll have at least a few vendors selling statues.

Stan Lee is great, last year I got him to sign the new bowen classic action thor and my bowen chrome surfer, he was super cool!!
Cool, gotta start saving up $ now. I know ill be like a kid in a candy store once I get there.

is it true Stan Lee charges $50 a signature?
and if he does charge do you think I would be able to get a few prints signed and just pay the 1 fee?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Yeah start saving now haha there will be many things you want to buy, trust me, and not just statues. Stan Lee does charge $50 and unfortunatley it is per signature. Cost me $100 to get both statues signed, but it was definitely worth it
Old 02-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
Prevail69
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Yeah start saving now haha there will be many things you want to buy, trust me, and not just statues. Stan Lee does charge $50 and unfortunatley it is per signature. Cost me $100 to get both statues signed, but it was definitely worth it
1 Stan Lee Sig might be all my budget can handle with all the other stuff there.Also was it a long wait in line for Stan?

and what about photos with the celeb guests. I think I may have read somewhere they usually charge $20-30 just to get a pic with them... is that true too.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
Sam
Hydra

That's true too and may be more than that depending on the celebrity. Check the guest list to see if they list prices.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prevail69 View Post
1 Stan Lee Sig might be all my budget can handle with all the other stuff there.Also was it a long wait in line for Stan?

and what about photos with the celeb guests. I think I may have read somewhere they usually charge $20-30 just to get a pic with them... is that true too.
The line for Stan on saturday was nuts, I saw him on sunday and it only took me about 35-45 minutes which was amazing. Prices on photo's with celeb guests vary per guest, some dont charge at all, some dont let you take pics with them, and some you have to preorder the photo ops for, I dont know much more then that because i've never done taken a photo with anyone that charged (I have taken pics with people like mark texeira and george perez, they are casual, but people like robert englund wont allow anyone to be in the pic with them)
Old 03-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
Scion009
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prevail69 View Post
I plan to go to the Vancouver Expo... pretty much the same thing as Calgary im guessing... plus or minus a few guests.

First time going to a Con/expo. Will there be any statues?... I hope so.

I wanna get Stan Lee to sign my Stout Avengers print. and get a pic with Amanda Tapping and Tia Carrere.
So far, Vancouver is quite a bit smaller than Calgary. Its only in its second year, after all. Last year's Vancouver attendance was 14,000, Calgary's was over 60,000 last year. Not sure how the number of vendors compares. I'll be doing Calgary again this year. Done it ever since it started up, and attended the much smaller Red & White convention that ran around the same time of year before it. Always seems to snow the weekend of the show. Will be driving down from Edmonton early on Friday morning. I usually spend all my money on art at shows. Almost never bother with the celeb photos/signings, although I take in their panels. Usually don't have any money left after art for statues, etc. Hopefully the artist list fills out quite a bit more before the show.

Last edited by Scion009; 03-02-2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: typo
Scion009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
Prevail69
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion009 View Post
So far, Vancouver is quite a bit smaller than Calgary. Its only in its second year, after all. Last year's Vancouver attendance was 14,000, Calgary's was over 60,000 last year. Not sure how the number of vendors compares. I'll be doing Calgary again this year. Done it ever since it started up, and attended the much smaller Red & White convention that ran around the same time of year before it. Always seems to snow the weekend of the show. Will be driving down from Edmonton early on Friday morning. I usually spend all my money on art at shows. Almost never bother with the celeb photos/signings, although I take in their panels. Usually don't have any money left after art for statues, etc. Hopefully the artist list fills out quite a bit more before the show.
"FanExpo Vancouver has released its total attendance numbers the yesterday, and the final tally comes to…16,780! While impressive, there’s no doubt the organizers underestimated the force of fandom here in Vancouver. We can only guess how many people they turned away after their convention space sold out. In any case, hopefully next year they’ll reserve enough convention space to contain Vancouver’s appetite for celebrities, comics, and cosplay! "

It sounded like last year was really good for the 1st year. Im sure they will try to go as "big" as Calgary this year... Hell, last year Stan Lee didint make his way out here. But he's here this time

Does Sideshow,Bowen or any big name statue brands have booths set up in the Calgary Expo? is there private ppl selling old stock statues? Currious on the statue sittuation....