Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-03-2019, 03:23 PM   #71
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I think these two sides are on such different wavelengths they struggle to communicate about characters or stories.

Comic fans have always been protective and passionate bunch. The shift was when so much of the new replacements were part of a "diversity movement" so the resistance was then labeled racist, sexist, homophobic, etc.

White guy replaced by white guy? Fans pay close attention to how it is handled and can freak out. I remember Green Lantern fans of the 90s being pissed about the Paralax story and how Hal was treated. They didn't resist Kyle because of his whiteness, his maleness, or other aspects. They wanted their beloved hero to be given dignity and the new character to earn the mantle.

When this same treatment is applied to 2010s characters then many can only interpret this blow back as racist or sexist or homophobic. This is then magnified by the poor communication via social media and devolves into shouting matches as people become entrenched int heir views as now see this as an attack on their personal character.

I just want to read good comics with my beloved characters and meet new ones. It is really tiring that criticism now forces one to "chose a side" in this whole debate.
I just learned this was a thing. Late to the party. Surprised to see such a good post so early on in the thread!
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #72
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Update: the rest of the thread was what I expected.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote