Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 08-11-2015, 02:37 PM   #11
Bishop40
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
I have noticed the same on the FB groups. I keep seeing books that I have in my collection (sometimes multiples) that I didn’t know were in demand at all but people are looking for them and they are selling well. I had a buddy who still actively collects go through my collection and told me I have a good number of books that are slab worthy – now to budget some hobby funds toward CGC.
Dave if you ever want me to do on site for you in chicago let me know, it's the only thing wizard world chicago is good for now a days.
Bishop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:46 PM   #12
Bishop40
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I have a bunch of books but none of the big boys from the silver age which bums me out since i didn't start collection until the early 90's. I buy a few titles now a days but i may switch over to digital as it's more convenient and takes up less space. My wife is on me to get rid of the 40 plus boxes i have of comics. Before i got into OA i used to go to conventions and get most of my comics signed by artist and writers, now since cgc came into play most of those would considered damaged since no one witness the sig which is a shame because getting those sig was very fun for me and something i looked fwd to every yr. While i do have a few key books i haven't really sold any off, they are slabbed which is a good thing.

As for the future generation, print media is in trouble, they been saying that for a few yrs but i do see these smaller prints runs possible giving way to digital which is sad.
Bishop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:47 PM   #13
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop40 View Post
Dave if you ever want me to do on site for you in chicago let me know, it's the only thing wizard world chicago is good for now a days.
You mean CGC? I do have to figure that out. I still worry about sending books away but I just need to get over that and do it. I was actually considering doing a Wizard trip up there in a few weeks as I have a friend that is helping a vendor for the weekend.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:07 PM   #14
fazzyfaz
Death is hereditary.

I have CGC's but I never sent any in. I am still unsure about sending off my classic stuff. Does CGC do on the spot grading in NYC at all? I live on Long Island. Does anyone here send stuff to them regularly through the mail?
fazzyfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #15
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazzyfaz View Post
Being a "serious" collector since 1984 and a reader since the late 70's, I am interested in the thoughts and comments here among the members. Do you see the eventual print run shrinkage due to digital or just less interest as a positive to investing...as opposed to the way over produced lines of the late 80's-90's that occurred? If you have sold off your collections, did you retain any (other than sentimental books we all have)? Do you see a true future for books holding their "value"? Any thoughts on who are buying books (demographics) and what happens as the older collectors decide to stop and sell off? Lastly, where do you personally see the collector interest in 20 years? I am not looking to start any battles, I just value the opinions here. My collection goes back the the late 1950's with numerous complete runs of DC/Marvel from the 60's to present. I have always been a high grade collector (vf/nm or better) knowing that would be easiest to move if I had to. I have a few boxes slabbed and believe in cgc purely because of ebay issues with ungraded books.
In regards to comics and investing, I would tell someone to stick with silver age, golden age, and some bronze age comics and stay away from the modern market. First appearances and high grade CGC signature copies are also a smart buy. In my opinion, modern comics are going to crash, especially the variant market. So many variants are being produced that its completely changed how people view rare comics. Basically rarity itself is now commonplace. Just look at the ridiculousness that is Star Wars #1. What are we up to now, like 120 variants for a single comic issue? Its absurd. Even in regards to hand drawn covers, which are basically limited to just a single copy, there will eventually be so many of them on the market that people won't be able to keep up. Completionist collecting, at least in regards to modern comics, has basically been taken out back and put down.

The best investments are the comics that are rare due to the passing of time, not because they were initially created in small numbers. If your a comic collector and you want you collection to be an investment, stay away from modern comics and variants. As for where the market will be in 20 years, I have absolutely no friggen clue. I do expect a crash with the modern market, but where is goes from there is anyone's guess. Everyone bags and boards their comics these days, so a very large percentage of the books produced will still be here 20, 30, 40, even 50 years down the line. And there in lies one of the main problems with the modern collectibles market, the normal mechanics that play out over time that make a collectible rare and valuable no longer come into play and rarity is really the key factor in regards to a collectible becoming valuable.

Quote:
Do you see the eventual print run shrinkage due to digital or just less interest as a positive to investing
I don't. Less interest equals less demand. Even if the comics wind up being produced in fewer numbers, you will have less people collecting them so it cancels out any positive effect that lower print runs might have had.

Quote:
If you have sold off your collections, did you retain any (other than sentimental books we all have)?
I actually lost my collection in a fire in 2008, but I was insured so I didn't lose any money over it. I was planning on replacing most of the comics I lost, but I ultimately decided against it, at least in regards to the modern comics I lost. I have replaced a good deal of the Gold/Silver/Bronze age comics that I lost, along with many of the first appearance issues, but I decided to let most of the modern comics I lost go. I did replace all of my Michael Turner comics as I am a huge Michael Turner fan, but instead of buying regular issues, I focused on autographed copies. I figured that would be a much better long term prospect than just regular issues. I do still read comics, I just buy hard cover TPB's instead of actually collecting individual issues.

Quote:
My collection goes back the the late 1950's with numerous complete runs of DC/Marvel from the 60's to present. I have always been a high grade collector (vf/nm or better) knowing that would be easiest to move if I had to.
It sounds like you will do ok in the long run, at least in regards to your older stuff. Older high grade comics are going to continue to go up in value, at least for the foreseeable future. As for CGC, the only modern CGC's that I think will be worth a damn in the long run are the signature series. If your buying those at a reasonable price, you should be ok with those as well.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #16
moon_knight1971
Rescue

I've been a collector for over 30 years and sold a majority of my collection 7 years ago. I regret that decision because I sold it to a local collector versus ebay. The price on key books has really skyrocketed since then so that's where the regret comes from. I think key 1st appearances are the way to go and agree CGC encased is the best option IF you are looking for a return.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:02 AM   #17
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
I've been a collector for over 30 years and sold a majority of my collection 7 years ago. I regret that decision because I sold it to a local collector versus ebay. The price on key books has really skyrocketed since then so that's where the regret comes from. I think key 1st appearances are the way to go and agree CGC encased is the best option IF you are looking for a return.
Yeah, thats sucks. You basically sold just as the comic movie industry was really starting to take off. Sorry to hear that! Hopefully you at least made a profit when you sold.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:25 PM   #18
fazzyfaz
Death is hereditary.

Orange Cush, thank you for taking the time to give clear answers to my questions. I appreciate it and am taking all of your points into account.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:15 PM   #19
fazzyfaz
Death is hereditary.

For those of you who do CGC books, what is your minimum value amount that sparks you to send it in? Just curious to see what people think. Thanks!