Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 07-22-2015, 11:14 PM   #11
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
Not taking away anything that many believe, but why can't people just enjoy stories for what they are (continuity, relaunches, revamps, redesigns, etc aside)??

There are so many good titles out there from the 'Big 2' that so many overlook because they 'aren't the characters they grew up with'. Everything in the world changes and adapts to the times. Its nothing new, yet when comics do it it always seems like its time to hit the evacuate button.

Of course this is all rather pointless as the 'old-timers' will still go on and on about the characters they loved being no longer around while those fans that can adapt will continue to enjoy great stories in the modern era regardless of the past.

I'll never understand when someone can say they're a comic fan/collector yet call it quits on the hobby when things aren't going their way.

yup...

I don't necessarily have a problem with the changes, lately my problem is that they happen too often. I sometimes feel like throwing in the towel, but the truth is I still enjoy reading comics. I have been reading comics since I was 7, I'm 45 now. My absolute biggest problem with monthly comics is the cost, $3-4 for a single issue!! I have been 100% digital for the past few years and I have been reading way more than I have in years. Collecting comics is long since over with for me, I'm just in it for the reading. If I don't like something I move on to the next thing, no time to get bitter about anything, way too much to read out there.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:44 AM   #12
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Briguy, time for you to branch out from the big 2. I pretty much dropped all of them a few years ago, with a few trades every now and then. Everything else is from Image or Dark Horse. There have been a lot of really great new books over the past few years.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:02 AM   #13
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
An excellent selection of books, but I give you a thumbs up for the Complete Eightball. That is a truly great series!
Thanks It is fantastic in all aspects. Been a longtime Eightball reader so this is a must. I will do a video review for it, maybe not JSA as that's over 1200 pages! But there are stories behind both books! The slipcase for Eightball is hilarious

Got The Ghost World Special Edition as well which contains the screenplay, various sketches n' stuff as well as the original Ghost World

Still waiting on The Daniel Clowes Reader
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:56 AM   #14
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Eh, I still enjoy holding that comic in my hand and reading stories about my favorite heroes. Been doing it for the last 42 years and don't plan to quit anytime soon. With the new Marvel re-launch, I will be getting less comics but that is just because some of the new books just do not interest me. Not to say that if they bring some new ones, that I don't start to add to my pull list.

I would like the comics to stay true to form from the late 70's and early 80's but there is no way for that to happen in today's environment.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #15
ftrez
Nightwing

I'm 47, have been reading comics since age 6 and, like briguy, am turned off by current conditions. Until recently I was buying the hardcover collection of Captain America and the Avengers and probably a few other Marvel titles but I'm far behind in reading them. I got to Hickman's Avengers and gave up. Haven't read/purchased any DC titles since the new 52 started. I'll still buy some older reprint material in trade form and will continue to get the trades/hardcovers of books like the Goon, Invincible, and Walking Dead but I really think I'm done with the big 2 (unless DC puts out a kick ass Shazam comic! Oh, and Miracleman too).
ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #16
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Going on 60 here. I quit buying the single issues about 8 years ago when I was laid off. Didn't want to spend money on unnecessary expenses. Now that I'm back among the employed I am buying more Omnibus of the older stuff I used to read, TPBs of the new items, and single slabbed older comics (as an investment).
Old 07-23-2015, 01:27 PM   #17
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Hard to argue with you. I don't recall when I gave up titles, its been some time ago. but I got back on board with Snyder's Batman and that's pretty much the only book I'm religious about. I jump in and out - I enjoyed Hickman's Infinity event, I've read Grindhouse which I enjoy, and ----- Planet is interesting. I have Red Sun on my pile but haven't read it yet.

Secret Wars has been interesting - I do enjoy Hickman's writing, and having Doom as the central figure is interesting. Issue 4 was very cool, IMHO. That last panel you definitely got the sense that this god is "flawed"

he just can't get Richards out of his head lol
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #18
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Going on 60 here. I quit buying the single issues about 8 years ago when I was laid off. Didn't want to spend money on unnecessary expenses. Now that I'm back among the employed I am buying more Omnibus of the older stuff I used to read, TPBs of the new items, and single slabbed older comics (as an investment).
Yea hobbit, I am close to dropping singles and just doing TPB's, but have held off only because a bunch of the books I have really enjoyed over the years barely made it through their printings to get a TPB, and the wait and buy the TPB doesn't work so well outside of the Big 2 .

As for older omnibus editions, I pretty much have to walk in and out of my LFC with my fingers in my ears because of the owner turning me on so many great older books, and it just destroying my monthly budget.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #19
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
60? Sheesh!

VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #20
Underdog07
Hercules

People should try Marvel Unlimited - it's about 6 months behind, but you get access to comics for next to nothing. It saves time and space and money. It's $69 a year. I joined 3 years ago and never looked back.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote