Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-10-2019, 02:50 PM   #181
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
My problem with this piece is that her pose and expression don't match Starfire's personality. My experience with the character is limited to the Marv Wolfman/George Perez issues, but she always came off as sweet and, while possessing a killer body in a skimpy outfit, completely unaware of her sexuality. The "come hither" expression on this piece just doesn't fit her naive charm.

Or maybe she was portrayed differently by other writers/artists?
Yea, I call this the New 52 slutty Starfire. That Starfire banged several members of the team.

Last edited by Demona; 05-10-2019 at 03:50 PM. Reason: ugh auto-correct
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:53 PM   #182
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
Oh so you wan't a critique?

It's YELLOW

Shoddy paintwork

Base is laughable

Hair is a Brown Blob

In a cheesy flying pose.

But the face looks like Perez's artwork, I'll give you that.

Still, as was mentioned, due to your usual hyper critical nature, it's hard to understand that piece being satisfactory to you.
Spoiler
I'll take the last comment first-

I find the Icon piece satisfactory because it nails a fundamental aspect that I've wanted to see for a long time. Something that no other statute or action figure yet made has (and I'm including the much praised Tweeterhead in this).

The Icon piece looks exactly like the character that Perez, and others following Perez, drew in Eighties.

Simple as that.

Even the NTT set that DC Collectibles put out, whose specific intention is to recreate Perez's cover to NTT #1, is stiffer and looks less like Perez's style than the Icon does

Quote:
It's YELLOW
I don't know what colors are showing up on your monitor, but in person- in natural light here- the color relationships are comic accurate. Or at least close enough not to be an issue.

Quote:
Hair is a Brown Blob

In a cheesy flying pose.

The hair, like the paint color, is comic accurate here.
Her hair was always drawn as having these big, bulbous curls that gave the mane plenty of volume.

It's that lack of exaggerated, outlandish volume that is the main reason I'm not as keen on the Tweeterhead as others are (the cipher-like lack of personality in her expression is another).

People may not like that huge "Peg Bundy" mane, but that's personal preference. The fact is, Perez- and every single artist that followed on the title in his wake- drew her in a specific, identifiable way.

Changing the hair to a more relatable, or sensible, version (or adding pupils to the eyes) are both big fails for me in regards to this character.
Others may, and apparently do, feel differently.

As for the "cheesy flying pose", it is a straight up recreation of JG-L art for the character. That's plenty good enough for me- and actually, in this case, I think the figure work here in the sculpt (the form) is stronger than the art. Lopez is one of the most accurate illustrators I've ever seen depicting the body in action and with foreshortening. Starfire's midsection in this particular illo is, frankly, a little clunky.

Beyond just form, the Icon fully gets the spirit of this particular character. She exudes sex appeal, but she's not a sly temptress. Her main quality was a guileless, sunny nature. The Icon piece conveys that for me.

Quote:
Shoddy paintwork

Base is laughable
Yup. Already admitted as much earlier.

The base is nice and heavy, so I don't worry about the fig tipping over. But the shape serves no purpose, and it's footprint is far larger than it needs to be- both of which are annoying.

QC on these has been poor. There's another person here who has had terrible luck with his- both the original purchase and the replacement.
The paintwork on my Starfire is serviceable, but just.

That's why, while I love it, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. I had to have two of the other figures in the order (Raven and Deathstroke) replaced for shoddy QC. The replacements turned out slightly better.
Like Starfire though, both of those are also spot on, comic accurate to Perez's art.

None of these Icon pieces are something you want to get your nose right up next to study in fine detail. At about three feet away though, which is where I have Starfire, it serves it's purpose just fine- and any shakiness of some of those paint edges are simply invisible.

Ultimately, expectations are slightly different with a 1/9 $80 statue vs a $300-$600+ one. They get graded on different curves.
FWIW dealing with Icon direct I had no trouble whatsoever getting a response or eventual replacement pieces. I've jumped through far more hoops with both Sideshow and TH in the past.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #183
chrismhk
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Yea, I call this the New 52 slutty Starfire. That Starfire banged several members of the time.
I pretend N52 Starfire doesn’t exist
chrismhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:00 PM   #184
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
New 52 version was very sexual and aware.
Yes, and written by a horny idiot w/o any sense of propriety or self-control. New 52 Starfire was a male sex fantasy, not a fully realized character.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #185
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Yes, and written by a horny idiot w/o any sense of propriety or self-control. New 52 Starfire was a male sex fantasy, not a fully realized character.
I was answering if it had been done. Understand it was a divisive character shift.

I get that, I really didn't like New 52 Power Girl changes, but they did happen (please for the love of anything good never let anyone make a statue with that costume!)
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #186
grither
Frackin!

appreciate them trying a different take, but not for me. One of my favorite characters
grither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:04 PM   #187
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I was answering if it had been done. Understand it was a divisive character shift.

I get that, I really didn't like New 52 Power Girl changes, but they did happen (please for the love of anything good never let anyone make a statue with that costume!)
I know, I was only adding to what you wrote.

Seriously, though, Scott Lobdell is a creep in real life. Women who work at DC avoid him almost as much as they did Eddie Berganza.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #188
built2shred
Phoenix

I haven't been to impressed with a lot of SS DC Statues lately... There not all bad but they're also nothing to write home about either... just average at best...

I think what TH and XM are doing with their DC 1:6 line is far more exciting to what SS is offering with their DC 1:4 statues
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #189
chrismhk
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
I know, I was only adding to what you wrote.

Seriously, though, Scott Lobdell is a creep in real life. Women who work at DC avoid him almost as much as they did Eddie Berganza.
I detest Lobdell so much. He is one of the three in “I wish he gets fired from DC” list.
chrismhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #190
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

A little bio of her along with probably my favorite Starfire image of all time.

NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote