Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2019, 03:16 PM   #1
my2cents
Fantastic Four

Question Future of Collectables

Opinion

As an avid collector for years now I do not see the importance of the exclusivity of 'switch outs' for statues that are collected for museum piece purposes. (i.e 1/3 and 1/4 scales). It's a great ploy to drive sales and momentum for when a piece is about to be released.

Let's look at the new Transformers masterpieces by Prime One. I believe these are the epitome of museum quality pieces. Evidently there is great detail and we notice how the light sources situated on these art works make for a better finished product particularly with their bases.

However;

How often do people open their cabinets to adjust or change their switch outs? How often do we turn on the light sources on a statue that enables this only to turn it back off so it doesn't waste battery?

Surely the statues of the future would enable more interactivity with the implementation of smart switches.

I would welcome the first studio to enable interactivity of a statue light feature or even sound in rare instances. Surely this is the way of the future as a point of difference.

As Elijah once said ... "You mean you have to use your hands?... that's like a baby's toy!"
my2cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
Augen
The Hulk

It varies. Some pieces exclusive extra is meaningless to me (Starfire) while on others it is absolutely critical (Hawkgirl).

I am glad at least there is an option.

If someone did a motion aspect I'd like to be able to turn it off. Friend of mine's Dad had this fish on the wall and every time walk past it would sing and that got old quickly for me.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:37 PM   #3
my2cents
Fantastic Four

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
It varies. Some pieces exclusive extra is meaningless to me (Starfire) while on others it is absolutely critical (Hawkgirl).

I am glad at least there is an option.

If someone did a motion aspect I'd like to be able to turn it off. Friend of mine's Dad had this fish on the wall and every time walk past it would sing and that got old quickly for me.
I agree some are critical and some are not.

This is why studios should sell exclusive pieces as an option and make more of them for a statue piece. They would clearly make more money and more custom looking cabinets in peoples homes with a limited edition of each item.

People are making their own custom pieces now and I welcome this market for it if you have a 3d printer. This is moreso for the HotToys Figurines and Dioramas.

I don't think motion was what I was looking at but the ability to use your iPhone to turn on your toy or statue piece through wifi. Imagine being able to turn on your 1/6 Hot Toys Delorean lights or the eyes of your 1/3 Optimus Prime without having to touch it over and over again and open that cabinet.

It's time for studios to incorporate technology into their beautiful artworks.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:05 PM   #4
adee
Green Arrow

While I like having display options I hardly if ever change a display. I usually just pick the one I like most and leave it. What I hate is when the switch out compromises the piece like a noticeable seam. In those cases I'd rather not have an option at all.

As far as the lights and sounds I can certainly do without them. I have a few pieces with light features and I never use them. As for for sound, like Augen said, I can see that getting annoying real fast.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #5
Asgard
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2cents View Post
How often do people open their cabinets to adjust or change their switch outs? How often do we turn on the light sources on a statue that enables this only to turn it back off so it doesn't waste battery?
I buy exclusive only if I like the switch out part and i change their switch outs every month or so.
Most of all I am rebuilding XM Samurai Batman and XM Samurai Batgirl
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
my2cents
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
I buy exclusive only if I like the switch out part and i change their switch outs every month or so.
Most of all I am rebuilding XM Samurai Batman and XM Samurai Batgirl
Samurai Batman is a brilliant piece of art that works well because you can manipulate it. I guess that’s an interactive exception.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:22 PM   #7
my2cents
Fantastic Four

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
While I like having display options I hardly if ever change a display. I usually just pick the one I like most and leave it. What I hate is when the switch out compromises the piece like a noticeable seam. In those cases I'd rather not have an option at all.

As far as the lights and sounds I can certainly do without them. I have a few pieces with light features and I never use them. As for for sound, like Augen said, I can see that getting annoying real fast.
Totally agree with you in how some switch out parts compromise the aesthetics. A well executed statue should not display this.

I believe incorporating sound into a statue is way too novelty and it then becomes a toy.

Exclusive parts like Dark Knight Batman PF and Armoured Batman have illuminated eyes which do compliment these artworks but annoying when you have to take the head off to switch it on.

A gentleman made a custom piece spear that lights up for the Armoured PF Batman and it’s most likely the best custom piece an artist has created thus far.
Again, it would be sweeter if it could be controlled from an app.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:35 PM   #8
stone eagle
Justice League

I personally like the switch out parts some statues have if I don't like the "standard" features of the regular statue. I feel that way I can make the statue in the way I want. I don't swap it out for the other parts though so they are just extra parts.
I know I am not a hard core statue collector like many on this site but if I have to pay hundreds of dollars for a statue I don't want motion,sound and in most cases lights on my statues. (If it had those things I would think of it as a toy and not an object of art.)
Mine are displayed on open shelves and not in a display unit. If so though I may want cabinet lighting that plugs in so no batteries to worry about replacing. If you wanted to avoid a switch in that place you could get something like "the clapper" to turn the cabinet lights on and off hands free.
stone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:49 PM   #9
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Well I had the Bowen Thor change o head statue (One was bearded and one was not bearded). I probably only the statue for about a year and a half to two years never once did I change the head to the bearded one

From Tweeterhead I do have both Batman and the Martian Manhunter
I do not plan on changing out Batman’s arm to the fisted version nor do I plan on putting the Martian head on the Martian Manhunter.

There might be some people who do the switch out but I personally think if it was just one statue with no switch out it might be a little bit cheaper to produce than having switch outs. Plus I would think it would be less of a headache to have to monitor and check Quality Control to make sure the switch outs fit the statue

The switch outs are a novel idea but if somebody really wants that character are they not going to purchase a statue because there isn’t an alternative head or an alternative hand, etc.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #10
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

I don't change them and I don't display the extra pieces. Like my Galactus LSB, I don't display the Surfer or the Name Plate.

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote