Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-16-2018, 06:28 PM   #1031
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I completely agree. That's why I think it's important to emphasize these are one's own opinions instead of statements of fact.
You'd better get off the internet and the forums then, because you're going to be MIGHTY disappointed when you find out people aren't going to qualify every statement they make with "IMO".
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:04 PM   #1032
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
You'd better get off the internet and the forums then, because you're going to be MIGHTY disappointed when you find out people aren't going to qualify every statement they make with "IMO".
Nope. The internet operates as I expect it to. It's filled with an endless supply of self entitlement. So it never disappoints.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:19 PM   #1033
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Altered it a little for you.....
Makes sense....
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:37 PM   #1034
T.MAC
Kindly Asked To Leave

Let this movie die. Kill it if you have to.
T.MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:15 AM   #1035
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Great post! Been saying the same thing for years re: your comments about which Trilogy you grew up often affecting which resonates most with you.
I think Star Wars on the whole is just Trash!! People are just fighting over who’s trash stinks the most.

jk
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:13 AM   #1036
johnclone
The Enchantress

In Star Wars terms,

If a spaceship is traveling at light speed would it have any solidity to it as long as it is going that fast? I figure the people inside the ship don't notice a change, they can walk about the cabin, play chess, etc. as if they are in a "time bubble" but observed from outside this bubble that the ship is in, the ship is going so fast that it is not solid at all. Just like a beam of light. Hence lightspeed and jumping to "hyperspace". Of course slower moving ships could always crash into each other in space whether intentional or not. But I'm thinking a ship traveling at light speed would simply pass through a stationary object like another ship or an asteroid and leave everything intact.

Remember Han didn't seem concerned with hitting anything while in hyperspace, only how after you come out of hyperspace you have to be careful you don't rematerialize into an object like a star, supernova, or whatever.
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:21 AM   #1037
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
I think Star Wars on the whole is just Trash!! People are just fighting over who’s trash stinks the most.

jk
I think the current problem with Star Wars stems from not enough Jar Jar.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:56 PM   #1038
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
In Star Wars terms,

If a spaceship is traveling at light speed would it have any solidity to it as long as it is going that fast? I figure the people inside the ship don't notice a change, they can walk about the cabin, play chess, etc. as if they are in a "time bubble" but observed from outside this bubble that the ship is in, the ship is going so fast that it is not solid at all. Just like a beam of light. Hence lightspeed and jumping to "hyperspace". Of course slower moving ships could always crash into each other in space whether intentional or not. But I'm thinking a ship traveling at light speed would simply pass through a stationary object like another ship or an asteroid and leave everything intact.

Remember Han didn't seem concerned with hitting anything while in hyperspace, only how after you come out of hyperspace you have to be careful you don't rematerialize into an object like a star, supernova, or whatever.
In terms of real-world, theoretical physics - speed would not eliminate the mass of an object. Therefore, yes, it would absolutely be solid, and collide.

But you asked in Star Wars terms. So, to start, lightspeed and "hyperspace" are not interchangeable. Hyperspace is a science fiction construct. As has been defined in Star Wars and elsewhere, hyperspace is essentially a separate "pocket" of space, to be entered into and exited from. While in hyperspace, collisions would not occur.

The problem is, Rian Johnson changed it, and "hyperspace" now requires a re-definition, or more explanation, at the very least.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #1039
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post

that's not true at all, he clearly mentions it takes precise calculations to avoid hitting anything along the way

"without precise calculations we'd fly right through a star or a bit too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick wouldn't it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcX8mDRIhYE
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #1040
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
that's not true at all, he clearly mentions it takes precise calculations to avoid hitting anything along the way

"without precise calculations we'd fly right through a star or a bit too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick wouldn't it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcX8mDRIhYE
Ah, that's not exactly how I remembered he said it. Thanks for clearing that up. But it would mean that all the rebellion truly needed was kamikaze like pilots that didn't mind dying for the cause. Ackbar could have just said, all ships jump to lightspeed and crash into the death star and all enemy starships!