Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 01-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
Augen
The Hulk

Question Resin versus PVC

Being new to this saw Yamato does two versions of some pieces, a Resin one and a PVC one.

Resin ($250) seen here

And PVC ($100) seen here

I can tell look a bit different, but I wanted insight from veterans here how the quality varies and if anyone has owned one of each to compare. Thank you for any help.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:44 PM   #2
omigeo
Alpha Flight

I have the resin version but the exclusive from Entertainment Earth, which is really nice. The look between the resin and PVC is different. The resin looks a bit different from what's advertise but still gorgeous face on her.
There are times that they will advertise a statue but the paint up is not the same, but nevertheless their paint ups are still nice.
They also tend to make many variants from time to time.

As for the PVC, I couldn't tell you since that one is still as a preorder. I don't think its been released yet.

Yamato makes really beautiful faces on their statues and nicely painted. I don't think you will be disappointed with them.

Check out their website...
http://yamatotoysusa.com/

Their dead moon is gorgeous!!
omigeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:24 PM   #3
Augen
The Hulk

I wasn't sure in general what makes resin cost more than PVC and if that had value to me.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:14 PM   #4
omigeo
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I wasn't sure in general what makes resin cost more than PVC and if that had value to me.
I'm not sure whether PVC is more expensive than resin. I hear that it is but I have no proof of that either, so I cannot talk intelligently on it.

But I would really stick to resin though since its more stable and last longer when taken care of, but will break easier. While PVC will not break as easy it can bend after a while and can become sticky. I had older PVC statues that started to bend after awhile and started to become sticky. But I think the new PVC statues might not, but I cannot voucher for that either since my new statues, I haven't had long enough to notice.

I prefer resin though.

I'm sure someone here can chime in that has better knowledge as to PVC vs RESIN
omigeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:45 AM   #5
silentwinter92
U talkin' to me?

Polyresin captures paint better, for metallic shiny finishes the effect is nicer.

Metallic finishes on pvc can appear cheap. As Long as the paint app is matte in nature and good quality pvc was used in the process, honestly you can't tell the difference.

It's hard to put my finger on it but up close; pvc can seem more synthetic as opposed to resin. Paint app can be flat on resin, but it won't look cheap.
silentwinter92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:21 AM   #6
bwestley13
Birdman

Resin is a more premium material. It has more heft to it. PVC is easier to cast especially with small fine details.

Blitzway actually makes hybrid statues with the heads being made of PVC and the bodies are polystone. I own the Marilyn Monroe, cant tell that there is a difference in material.

I have one of the variants Yamato's Harley Quinn from EE. Its one of my favorite pieces. If there was a bigger difference between that and the new PVC, I would grab it. I do plan on buying the PVC Wonder Woman.
bwestley13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
Augen
The Hulk

I appreciate the responses. Looking at them the differences in quality are hard for me to discern so I think I'd be fine with the cheaper PVC option.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #8
One Above All
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I believe Resin is much harder then pvc

resin also has weight

I much prefer a resin statue over a pvc one
One Above All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:42 PM   #9
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

I'll just speak for my experience with Yamato on this thread. With their older FFG pieces, I think the differences in material were more apparent, but they artistically pursued those differences to take advantage of what each material had to offer, hence why I never had an issue with their variants and reissues.

My favorite piece of theirs, Ritual, had a much paler complexion on the resin version, which matched the source art better, but I could easily see someone preferring the PVC version for the richer skin tones (which the material is especially good at) and stamped-on tattoo application compared to the resin one's decals. I like both a lot but ultimately went with the resin one.

Now, with the DC line in particular, I don't see any difference in quality between the Harley Quinns and, considering they maintain the same scale between the variants, it comes down to how much you like the designs or how much you place value in weight.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:12 PM   #10
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
I'll just speak for my experience with Yamato on this thread. With their older FFG pieces, I think the differences in material were more apparent, but they artistically pursued those differences to take advantage of what each material had to offer, hence why I never had an issue with their variants and reissues.

My favorite piece of theirs, Ritual, had a much paler complexion on the resin version, which matched the source art better, but I could easily see someone preferring the PVC version for the richer skin tones (which the material is especially good at) and stamped-on tattoo application compared to the resin one's decals. I like both a lot but ultimately went with the resin one.

Now, with the DC line in particular, I don't see any difference in quality between the Harley Quinns and, considering they maintain the same scale between the variants, it comes down to how much you like the designs or how much you place value in weight.
Great response, thank you.

I like both designs honestly, and weight doesn't mean much to me as it will sit on a shelf and don't plan on selling them.