Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 07-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #1
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Kotobukiya Black Panther Fine Art Statue

Kotobukiya Black Panther Fine Art Statue

YouTube Turn-around Video

Sculpt: Eric Sosa managed to sculpt a fantastic rendition of the Black Panther in his modern costume.

Body: Nice body proportions and muscular build. The pose has a menacing and aggressive quality to it; arms outstretched and ready to strike. Beautiful head sculpt! The eyes are nicely proportioned with brow furrowing features protruding through the mask. The hands are dynamically posed with the wrist in flexion and MCPs extended. The costume details are also nicely sculpted with intricate details to the panther medallion.
From the front, the cape is nicely sculpted with good flowing movement to it. From the rear, I wonder if the cape lines are a little too symmetrical. Still nice, but more randomness to the flow of the cape would make it look a bit more natural.

Base: By far, the best Kotobukiya Avengers Fine Art base up to this point, and in fact, a major selling point for me. The base tells a story that helps to compliment the figure. There is a nice use of storytelling here without it being a distraction from the figure.
The sculpt of the panther is well done. When lit from above, the features of the panther stand out nicely creating a mysterious and intimidating presence. The plants and rocky base are also well done, helping to frame the panther head.
The circular base looks great with the textured tile work and cracking. The details to the side are also nicely done with the ornate tribal patterns.

Score: 9/10

Paint: Overall, the paint work here is functional, but in typical Kotobukiya form, nothing really outstanding. Koto still has a way to go to match the quality produced formerly at Bowen Designs.

Body: Depending on the lighting, the paint has a charcoal black appearance. It’s difficult to tell if there is any shading on the piece due to the dark paint used. I’m pleased with the gold paint used for the costume accents. With my piece, the lines were very clean. Medallion looks great as well. Cudos to the production team on this!
I’m not a fan of the eggshell texture paint that Koto uses for some of their pieces. It makes the piece look a little flat. Functionally, it becomes difficult to maintain; it attracts dust easily, and when trying to dust, it can become an exercise in futility. I’d prefer paint with some level of gloss to it for this reason.
Base: Generally, nice paint applications here. The panther head has simulated water stains running down it. Also, nice paint splotches to give the impression of weathering which works well. The circular base component has a nice colour applied to it to really suit the scene.

Score: 7.5/10

Design: I think Erick Sosa and team delivered a fantastic Black Panther product here. The action type pose with complimentary base makes this piece a homerun as far as design goes. Overall, it’s just an aesthetically well designed piece; probably the most solid effort from the Avengers line. This is my favorite Black Panther statue yet made.

Score: 9 /10

Production and Build Quality: Magnets Koto. Please. I don’t think anyone likes the push peg limb attachments. I’ll happily pay the extra $5 for magnetic limb keys.
Although I was able to get my arm pieces to fit, I really needed to use effort when inserting the left arm piece. There’s always that fear of breakage whenever you have to use any level of force with a resin statue.
The figure itself feels solid and the cape has a nice thickness to it as well. It feels well put together.
The base is a bit on the light side, but that’s really a non-issue as far as I’m concerned.
Production wise, all of the statue components came out nicely and chip free; just magnets Koto please.

Score 8/10

Overall: This is a wonderful addition to the Kotobukiya Fine Art Collection. Black Panther is arguably the strongest Avenger piece to come from the collection so far. It displays nicely within a collection and works as a stand-alone piece as well!

Overall Score: 8/10
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

I don't think I've ever seen a Black Panther statue which didn't look cool. This character displays so well. Awesome pics and great review, Gary!
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #3
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a Black Panther statue which didn't look cool. This character displays so well. Awesome pics and great review, Gary!
Thanks Risingstar! I'm really happy with the piece.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #4
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Thanks for this great review Gary; I really like your pictures and think Black Panther looks awesome!

Great stuff!

PS: I really dig the music you used for your YouTube Turn-Around video; it think it complements the statue nicely!

Rainer
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:18 PM   #5
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Looks great!
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:52 PM   #6
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force of Nature View Post
Thanks for this great review Gary; I really like your pictures and am think Black Panther looks awesome!

Great stuff!

PS: I really dig the music you used for your YouTube Turn-Around video; it think it complements the statue nicely!

Rainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmutha View Post
Looks great!
Thanks for checking it out guys!
Old 07-04-2016, 04:53 PM   #7
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Is that blue in the paint job or is that just the lighting? Great looking piece, thanks for the review.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:06 PM   #8
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
Is that blue in the paint job or is that just the lighting? Great looking piece, thanks for the review.
Hey no prob. It's a great piece!

The bluish look is mostly from the natural lighting I use in the room where I take photos. It's actually a pretty dark matte black unless lit brightly.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:21 PM   #9
FJC
Midnighter

Great review. I received mine less than a week ago and it does look fantastic. I agree about the magnets. I also had a difficult time attaching Panther to his base. It took quite a bit of patience and elbow grease to get him flush on the base. Everything else you mentioned is spot on. It's a great Black Panther statue that would look fantastic in any collection.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:05 PM   #10
Griffon
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

A good detailed review, thank you.
Griffon is offline   Reply With Quote