Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 12-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
demonhunter
Kingpin

SS finally married both designs. The one with her standing regally with the Greek structure debris base, and helmet with the other design of her holding the spear. Some said the base was too busy, but SS pushed forward with it anyhow. And is this a new trend? Digital sculpting? From the start of the video, it showed Diana's face being digitally sculpted.
demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
GedTasker
Home Grown Mod

Apparently.. sometimes they'll start the sculpt in digital, print it out and hand finish in wax.. best of both eh..!! I asked Martin C on facey and he explained the process that him and his studio have started doing.

I must say this really is an absolutely stunning piece though!!!

Last edited by GedTasker; 12-25-2013 at 08:17 AM.
GedTasker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
pdenham
Teen Titans

Not really sold on this one yet.
The staff/spear isn't something I associate with the character, though I can accept it as a design element choice. But it would help if it were incorporated in such a way as to make it a more interesting design rather than just being a prop other than a sword.
Another one knee up pose. It wouldn't be a SS piece without the character having one foot up on something, now would it?
The face is OK...but not alluring enough to me to make me rush out and pre-order it- especially when there are going to be metric ton of these made. Looking at the video though, the early digital sculpt did look more attractive to me. Something seems to have got lost in translation...maybe it's the beady eyes. I'll be taking my time picking this one up. If I even do.
Unlike Red Sonja (which I also continue to have niggling issues with), nothing about this piece looks like a must have/can't afford to let slip by, other than the notability of the character itself.
But at $400, I'm not buying anything just because I like the character. The statue itself has to hit my aesthetic sweet spot and this one isn't looking like it will.

Just one other thing- this isn't directed at Sideshow, but DC and their lame sense of costume design/incessant need to corporate brand. That belt is one of the stupidest designs for an action character I've ever seen. Yes, I get the the WW, but for someone who will likely have to bend at the waist often and is going to get thrown around- why on earth would you wear a belt with three sharp rigid vertical points? It would be one thing if it were being represented as softer fabric, but clearly it's meant to portray some kind of hard rigid material....much like here tiara or bracelets. I've always thought that was lame.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

WOW
what a way to kick 12 days off. first day PO for me.
best WW statue to date IMO. the face and over all sculpt is phenomenal. need to put the artists name with the title of this thread.

wow its everything i was hoping for in a WW PF.

THANKS YOU SIDESHOW!

NAILED IT!
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
iceprince_x
Deadman

When is this due? My second direct purchase for Sideshow. Exclusive for me.
iceprince_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #16
DynamicMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Not really sold on this one yet.
The staff/spear isn't something I associate with the character, though I can accept it as a design element choice. But it would help if it were incorporated in such a way as to make it a more interesting design rather than just being a prop other than a sword.
Another one knee up pose. It wouldn't be a SS piece without the character having one foot up on something, now would it?
The face is OK...but not alluring enough to me to make me rush out and pre-order it- especially when there are going to be metric ton of these made. Looking at the video though, the early digital sculpt did look more attractive to me. Something seems to have got lost in translation...maybe it's the beady eyes. I'll be taking my time picking this one up. If I even do.
Unlike Red Sonja (which I also continue to have niggling issues with), nothing about this piece looks like a must have/can't afford to let slip by, other than the notability of the character itself.
But at $400, I'm not buying anything just because I like the character. The statue itself has to hit my aesthetic sweet spot and this one isn't looking like it will.

Just one other thing- this isn't directed at Sideshow, but DC and their lame sense of costume design/incessant need to corporate brand. That belt is one of the stupidest designs for an action character I've ever seen. Yes, I get the the WW, but for someone who will likely have to bend at the waist often and is going to get thrown around- why on earth would you wear a belt with three sharp rigid vertical points? It would be one thing if it were being represented as softer fabric, but clearly it's meant to portray some kind of hard rigid material....much like here tiara or bracelets. I've always thought that was lame.
sorry but i totally disagree with you. the face looks incredible. reminds me of WW from the DC DVD's which i love. not sure why but the portrait reminds me of Daryl Hannah. wonder if they used her likness as inspiration for the portrait? the over all sculpt looks killah.

the costume design is a very cool unique take from the classic one IMO. but this whole issue people are having with a statue having its foot propped up on something. its the best pose to portray victory or one being triumphant. not to mention the best way to convey movement. the FUP is the new museum pose for the 21st century. lol
i have no issues with SS using the FUP. its how the body works. could they have gone with a different pose? yeah probably. but Bats and Supes are in one. its only right for her to bre in one too.
now it will be a true trinity..
Old 12-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #17
DynamicMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceprince_x View Post
When is this due? My second direct purchase for Sideshow. Exclusive for me.
and thats what im wondering. what will the EX be?
hope they do something special.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #18
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

They hit a homerun with this one. Probably one of the best depictions of the character in general. They managed to downplay the sexuality in just the right ways.
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #19
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

love the face and hair!

is the outfit a sculpt or leather? armor just looks like glued on pieces.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #20
luiggi505
Death is hereditary.

edit
luiggi505 is offline   Reply With Quote