Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
Markhatestoys
Justice League

Newbie Question: Unpainted Statues?

Okay, so--I assume this is probably a dumb question but I'm wondering what the general consensus is on the board. Sideshow, and probably most other companies that release statues, tends to get a lot of criticism about the paint jobs in their final production pieces. It seems inevitable that with any company, final paintjobs tend not to be as good as the prototypes. On occasion, wonderful sculpts are made less wonderful by merely average factory paintjobs.

So, has anyone wondered about collecting statues unpainted? If, for example, Sideshow released a certain percentage of all its premium format statues in unpainted versions, would anyone be interested? Certainly we'd be able to appreciate the original sculpts in all their glory. We would never have to worry about factory paintjobs again. And maybe, with human figures at least, statues would look a bit less...garish? That's not to say I think painted statues are garish in general, but I do feel that paint almost never makes a statue better, and occasionally makes it worse.

(Sorry if this has been discussed a hundred times before...)
Markhatestoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

If it's the idea of a company selling unpainted statues so that you can paint it yourself...many are behind that idea.

If it's the idea of selling unfinished statues so that you can display the raw polystone look...you might just be alone on that one

Polystone isn't faux bronze after all...

Plus with SS dealing in mixed media would you have the statue covered in mixed media where applicable and the painted parts just raw polystone? Often as well, with the mixed media pieces, many aren't sculpted under those parts so if you strip it then it wouldn't look right.
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Unpainted would look good on a couple themes, like the classic mythology line by ARH. It would be similar to the original marble greek statues.

At first, I didn't like the idea of unpainted statues, even with a sensible discount. Too much hassle shipping them to a painter and so on. Now, honestly, for a SENSIBLE discount, I would seriously consider it. I know a couple of good painters and as things are now, I'm all in for having less statues with more details and painted as I want to.
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
gomur
The Tick

There's a reason these statues are painted overseas, so I doubt any discount will be significant or sensible. I agree with Mule that some statues would work well sans paint. Heck, some look good with just primer. However, when a paint job clicks there's nothing like it. One of my favorite DC PF's is Green Lantern and that green is just amazing.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
Python
Omega Red

An unpainted option would be appreciated by many I'm sure. I'd love it personally. Just a small percentage of each batch maybe so that they stay in line with the other ES numbers. It has been spoken about many times before, just how feasible it might be however I have no idea.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote