Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 02-20-2005, 11:42 AM   #11
Confessor
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson
The preacher is the single most awesome comic book story ever. Just read the Cassiday one shot special. I believe the entire series is collected in trade paperbacks. I've turned several people on to preacher back in the day and none of them were dissapointed. You can't go wrong with the Preacher.
Hey Sam? What is the basic premise of the Preacher...I have never read it, but have heard of it only. Is this guy a metahuman, or what? Thanks.
Confessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:06 PM   #12
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confessor
Hey Sam? What is the basic premise of the Preacher...I have never read it, but have heard of it only. Is this guy a metahuman, or what? Thanks.
In a nutshell the Preacher is a story about a Texas Preacher who's heart really isn't in the job (the backstory gets revealed later), and becomes empowered with the word of god (to be revealed later also). This means that whatever he says to people has to be obeyed. So the Preacher (jesse custer) his girl Tulip and his friend/Irish Vampire Cassidy take a journey across the US to find God and ask him what the hell is going on. The whole time they have to fend off agents of the Church, lead by ex-GSG9 Commando Herr Starr.

Written by Garth Ennis, this story is not for the conservative (I don't mean politically, I mean comedically). The dude is raw to say the lease. Very blunt and explicit humor, but incredibly intelligent at the same time. It truely has to be read to be understood. I think the trade paperbacks are availalbe at a discount at www.amazon.com or www.buy.com. I got the original comics (I read it as it came out), I think the first trade paperback in the series is "Gone to Texas". I would highly recommend it.

Confessor, if you buy the first trade paperback, read it, and don't like it I will personally give you back your money. I think it is that good.
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:27 PM   #13
Confessor
The Avengers

Quote:

Confessor, if you buy the first trade paperback, read it, and don't like it I will personally give you back your money. I think it is that good.
Better yet, if I don't like it, then you buy the first round in SD if we are both able to go.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:01 PM   #14
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Better yet, if I don't like it, then you buy the first round in SD if we are both able to go.
I was going to buy the first round anyway. You can buy the chicken wings. Just not while reading comics...
Old 02-25-2005, 10:21 PM   #15
Confessor
The Avengers

Quote:
I was going to buy the first round anyway. You can buy the chicken wings. Just not while reading comics...
Ah, in that case, if I don't like it you have to wear a "Falcon" costume to the restaurant!
Old 02-27-2005, 12:35 AM   #16
Confessor
The Avengers

Quote:
Ah, in that case, if I don't like it you have to wear a "Falcon" costume to the restaurant!

...and in that costume, you must comment to the waitress that if they are serving any of your cousins, you're gonna trash the place!

Old 02-28-2005, 08:52 AM   #17
The Watcher
Loki

Quote:
In a nutshell the Preacher is a story about a Texas Preacher who's heart really isn't in the job (the backstory gets revealed later), and becomes empowered with the word of god (to be revealed later also). This means that whatever he says to people has to be obeyed. So the Preacher (jesse custer) his girl Tulip and his friend/Irish Vampire Cassidy take a journey across the US to find God and ask him what the hell is going on. The whole time they have to fend off agents of the Church, lead by ex-GSG9 Commando Herr Starr.

Written by Garth Ennis, this story is not for the conservative (I don't mean politically, I mean comedically). The dude is raw to say the lease. Very blunt and explicit humor, but incredibly intelligent at the same time. It truely has to be read to be understood. I think the trade paperbacks are availalbe at a discount at www.amazon.com or www.buy.com. I got the original comics (I read it as it came out), I think the first trade paperback in the series is "Gone to Texas". I would highly recommend it.

Does anyone know of any mainstream comic books that portray clergy or their followers in a favorable light? Other than the spire series or a few golden age characters like Kid Eternity (Quality comics), I can't think of any. It seems like religious figures are always portrayed as evil or nutjobs. Meanwhile, characters like Son of Satan, Ghost Rider, Spawn, the Demon, etc., are demonic do-gooders. Hollywood does the same thing as the comic book creators.
The Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:03 PM   #18
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Are we talking the classic green costume w/know wings, the '70's open vest style w/wings, or the full body suit of modern times? I guess it doesn't matter, either way I'm wearing spandex...

Old 03-15-2005, 08:59 PM   #19
Confessor
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Does anyone know of any mainstream comic books that portray clergy or their followers in a favorable light? Other than the spire series or a few golden age characters like Kid Eternity (Quality comics), I can't think of any. It seems like religious figures are always portrayed as evil or nutjobs. Meanwhile, characters like Son of Satan, Ghost Rider, Spawn, the Demon, etc., are demonic do-gooders. Hollywood does the same thing as the comic book creators.
You're not surprised, are you? A lot of writers in hollywood and comics, frankly, were the bizarro-kids in highschool with the wrinkled black t-shirts, black-dyed hair over the eyes and black nail polish, etc. They were the fringe. And as such, they have an anarchist streak, which defies first that which threatens them the most...a black and white standard of right/wrong...