Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-30-2024, 10:07 AM   #521
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Talent View Post
HOLO PAINT!!!.....thats what I wanna know.
That body suit needs to be made with holo paint, I do see a slight holo effect, but no one has mentioned it.
So the question remains will sideshow use holopaint or is that just a added effect they did with the lighting
I mentioned the oil on water effect of her jumpsuit a while back, and a friend mentioned it looks like holopaint, and the interview where they were saying Dazzler went in a direction SS has never gone before...,. I interpreted to refer to holopaint. But until someone from SS confirms, it's speculation.

Last edited by SDguy; 01-30-2024 at 10:11 AM.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 10:27 AM   #522
Billy Talent
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
I mentioned the oil on water effect of her jumpsuit a while back, and a friend mentioned it looks like holopaint, and the interview where they were saying Dazzler went in a direction SS has never gone before...,. I interpreted to refer to holopaint. But until someone from SS confirms, it's speculation.
That means if it ends up being plain silver I have some holo shine spraying to do, which should be easy enough.
It will look a whole lot cooler that way.
Billy Talent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 10:32 AM   #523
Billy Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
So this is the character that caused a collecting clamour, that frazzled & bedazzled? I don't get it/her.

At a glance, I would never associate this chick's "look" as being part of the X-men group, or a super hero for that matter. I couldn't guess what her powers could possibly be, unless big hair & titty, cocaine lines, & serving drinks is expected to take on Apocalypse? I can't see it.

However, as a sculpt/statue, Sideshow keeps doing their thing, with excellent lines/form/movement/groove, & portrait so a beautifully achieved disco vibe with gravity defying roller-glide? A fun ride.

Bravo Sideshow!

P.S. Can't wait to see the paint effects, as I've never seen them applied that way before. As paint is the final frontier to achieve, i'm curious. Hoping the community supports the work, and extends the party.
It's a great looking piece that's it, and I think this is the first time they are doing a statue of her.

How many mutants can take on Apocalypse....? pretty sure he was one of the most powerful ones out there.
Can't see rogue's powers either, or gambits powers, professor xavier, jean grey and the list goes on.

I agree with the last part... that it looks good
So I don't see the problem here
Old 01-30-2024, 12:24 PM   #524
Straken-SWE
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
big hair & titty, cocaine lines, & serving drinks
100% this. Expecially the cocaine part is very insightfull, and I must say I like it a little bit more now when I look at it like that
Straken-SWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 01:01 PM   #525
Agent_J.Warren
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants
Adamantium Member

Oh no... Lovato is a mess. I want none of that on display in this house...lol
Agent_J.Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 01:01 PM   #526
Onewiththeforce
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

It has been truly fun to watch and read all the various comments and posts that have been either "yay" or "nay" associated to this piece/character. It has truly felt like a "collector" forum again in that I do feel that this is what makes the "meat and potatoes" of collecting what it is........"beauty is in the eye of the beholder" of course comes to mind for sure. Interesting that there are those who know the character and can identify with her history, relevance and overall contribution to the Marvel Universe let alone the X-Men universe and then there are those who are not as knowledgeable or perhaps have just not found interest in her in the slightest. Again, of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and of course, everyone is entitled to have an appreciation and interest in a character/piece or not. Again, the beauty of collecting. LOVE IT!!!!!!

For me the "character" of Dazzler holds a special place in my heart for a few reasons......

When I first started collecting statues (Bowen Designs) I had jumped on this forum and the very first thread I created was one that was trying to push for a Dazzler because even back then it was very difficult to get much support for the character at the time. I think that Diamond Select had made two bust variations of her at the time. A classic white/silver costumed version from the 70's and a blue costumed, head banded one from the 80's I believe. There was one guy who was really cool on the thread/forum that we all came to like and find to be a cool guy who eventually became ill and passed away just before the Bowen designs Dazzler had been teased and then released. It was tough as he was such an advocate for the character and really wanted to have the statue be made and when he passed it was shocking on the thread and then shortly after when we learned that that the character was finally being made, it was kind of a blow to us all. So with that as that was my very first time getting involved in this forum, that time period was very nostalgic for me. And of course you can see why this character advocacy has significant meaning as well.

Another reason why the "character" holds significance to me is that when I was starting to collect comic books in the 80's I really connected with the X-Men as my older brothers passed down to me their comic books that they were collecting at that time. My older brother was very much into the X-Men and that was the time when I started to learn about the work being done by John Byrne and Terry Austin as well as Dave Cockrum and how they had worked on the Dark Phoenix saga and this was when I really came to fall in love with the X-Men and their stories. Among the issues that my older brother had passed down was the issue for Uncanny X-Men # 130 which was the very first appearance of the Dazzler. That was also the VERY FIRST comic book I EVER got CGC'd as well. It is still to this day in my slab collection at a 9.4. It was during the readings of that story line where we run into the X-Men, the Hellfire Club, the Dazzler, Kitty Pride, Emma Frost, the Sentinels, the Dark Phoenix Saga and even a glimpse into Days of Future Past. That entire timeline had some seriously pivotal moments that to this day still hold up in court where the X-Men are concerned.

I get that initially she was not meant to be a long standing member of the team, nor to really be taken very seriously and to be honest, I still do not REALLY connect her in this 70's jumpsuit look as being a part of the actual team of the X-Men. I do feel that in her blue costume later on about a decade or so later that she then became more of a member of the "team" so to speak.

And on top of it all, she is a mutant and therefore will always be a part of the X-Men lore. We have seen her in Video games, Spider Man and his Amazing Friends Saturday morning cartoons, comics through the 80's and 90's to present, she has had many love interests keeping her "drama" card alive (LOL!) and is certainly never going to be bad on the eyes to look at!!!!!

To me, this piece will be a great standalone piece in my collection. I will more than likely NOT display her with my X-Men line up but will probably have her on a separate shelf with my CGC first appearance issue with her.
Onewiththeforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 01:31 PM   #527
bdlovelace
Hellfire Club

I agree with you on the stand-alone take. Dazzler will be a stand-alone piece in the Lovelace collection.

She will go atop my IKEA Detolf.
bdlovelace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 02:02 PM   #528
Straken-SWE
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewiththeforce View Post
It has been truly fun to watch and read all the various comments and posts that have been either "yay" or "nay" associated to this piece/character. It has truly felt like a "collector" forum again in that I do feel that this is what makes the "meat and potatoes" of collecting what it is........"beauty is in the eye of the beholder" of course comes to mind for sure. Interesting that there are those who know the character and can identify with her history, relevance and overall contribution to the Marvel Universe let alone the X-Men universe and then there are those who are not as knowledgeable or perhaps have just not found interest in her in the slightest. Again, of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and of course, everyone is entitled to have an appreciation and interest in a character/piece or not. Again, the beauty of collecting. LOVE IT!!!!!!

For me the "character" of Dazzler holds a special place in my heart for a few reasons......

When I first started collecting statues (Bowen Designs) I had jumped on this forum and the very first thread I created was one that was trying to push for a Dazzler because even back then it was very difficult to get much support for the character at the time. I think that Diamond Select had made two bust variations of her at the time. A classic white/silver costumed version from the 70's and a blue costumed, head banded one from the 80's I believe. There was one guy who was really cool on the thread/forum that we all came to like and find to be a cool guy who eventually became ill and passed away just before the Bowen designs Dazzler had been teased and then released. It was tough as he was such an advocate for the character and really wanted to have the statue be made and when he passed it was shocking on the thread and then shortly after when we learned that that the character was finally being made, it was kind of a blow to us all. So with that as that was my very first time getting involved in this forum, that time period was very nostalgic for me. And of course you can see why this character advocacy has significant meaning as well.

Another reason why the "character" holds significance to me is that when I was starting to collect comic books in the 80's I really connected with the X-Men as my older brothers passed down to me their comic books that they were collecting at that time. My older brother was very much into the X-Men and that was the time when I started to learn about the work being done by John Byrne and Terry Austin as well as Dave Cockrum and how they had worked on the Dark Phoenix saga and this was when I really came to fall in love with the X-Men and their stories. Among the issues that my older brother had passed down was the issue for Uncanny X-Men # 130 which was the very first appearance of the Dazzler. That was also the VERY FIRST comic book I EVER got CGC'd as well. It is still to this day in my slab collection at a 9.4. It was during the readings of that story line where we run into the X-Men, the Hellfire Club, the Dazzler, Kitty Pride, Emma Frost, the Sentinels, the Dark Phoenix Saga and even a glimpse into Days of Future Past. That entire timeline had some seriously pivotal moments that to this day still hold up in court where the X-Men are concerned.

I get that initially she was not meant to be a long standing member of the team, nor to really be taken very seriously and to be honest, I still do not REALLY connect her in this 70's jumpsuit look as being a part of the actual team of the X-Men. I do feel that in her blue costume later on about a decade or so later that she then became more of a member of the "team" so to speak.

And on top of it all, she is a mutant and therefore will always be a part of the X-Men lore. We have seen her in Video games, Spider Man and his Amazing Friends Saturday morning cartoons, comics through the 80's and 90's to present, she has had many love interests keeping her "drama" card alive (LOL!) and is certainly never going to be bad on the eyes to look at!!!!!

To me, this piece will be a great standalone piece in my collection. I will more than likely NOT display her with my X-Men line up but will probably have her on a separate shelf with my CGC first appearance issue with her.
Sounds great! But now, back on topic, whats your favourite drugs guys?
Straken-SWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 02:03 PM   #529
Onewiththeforce
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlovelace View Post
I agree with you on the stand-alone take. Dazzler will be a stand-alone piece in the Lovelace collection.

She will go atop my IKEA Detolf.
Well played.

You know what other piece can be set up as a standalone piece in a Detolf that would look great in my man cave...?

take a guess, BD!!!! LOL!!!!
Onewiththeforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 02:13 PM   #530
Billy Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straken-SWE View Post
Sounds great! But now, back on topic, whats your favourite drugs guys?