Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 07-02-2020, 08:49 AM   #31
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Okay so I finished this today.

I'm pretty disappointed, and its really my own fault, though I will put some onus on the writer/showrunner.

The first Penny Dreadful wrapped its settings and characters in myth, lore and literature. It had its social commentary weaved into the story, as does this season, but you had the best of both worlds. Social relevance and amazing horror fantasy dripping in every episode.

This Series, City of Angels, has its social commentary but lacks the depth of mysticism and horror of the first. Sure, there are elements of it but instead of it flowing throughout the episodes its sprinkled as if they were hoarding it for some pay off that never comes.

While I gave the first 3 seasons of the original series 9s, 9.5 for season 2, Here I can only give a 7 because of what could have been. If Logan had only taken the time to research and weave as much cultural folk lore and myth as he did from the Victorian era into City of Angels this could have been amazing. However, what I'm left with a decent show with social relevance instead of the expertly crafted mixture I was used to.

sigh ...oh well.
I agree, as much as I like City of Angels it falls short in comparison to the original Penny Dreadful 3 seasons. Like you said....there is the extra special something missing. Now if this show had not been part of "Penny Dreadful" and just a drama all to itself I might appreciate it more.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:06 PM   #32
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
I agree, as much as I like City of Angels it falls short in comparison to the original Penny Dreadful 3 seasons. Like you said....there is the extra special something missing. Now if this show had not been part of "Penny Dreadful" and just a drama all to itself I might appreciate it more.
Exactly, calling it something else, I'd have no expectation or reference point. Calling it Penny Dreadful, well there's an expectation that comes with that.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:30 PM   #33
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
The original series actually ran for 3 seasons. Did you watch all 3 and are saying S1 of City of Angles is better?
Sorry, you’re right. To me all 3 seasons blended together. I was into them until the end which just killed the entire experience for me. A terrible way to end the series.

I really like City of Angels a lot.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:00 PM   #34
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Canceled after one season. Harsh: https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/pen...me-1234743649/

I may still give it a look. I want to get a temporary Showtime account anyway to see the final Twin Peaks season and the new Go-Go's documentary.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:05 PM   #35
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Not very surprised...it was absolutely nothing like the first series. It was good in it's own way though.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:57 PM   #36
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
Not very surprised...it was absolutely nothing like the first series. It was good in it's own way though.
Agreed, not surprising at all. Like we dicussed before, it was missing something and felt a little empty at the end.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:52 PM   #37
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Is the original series as good as everyone says? I've been wanting to watch it for a while, at this point I'd have to buy it though
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:10 PM   #38
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Is the original series as good as everyone says? I've been wanting to watch it for a while, at this point I'd have to buy it though
The original 3 seasons are on Netflix I believe. And yes, it is pretty amazing.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:02 PM   #39
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
The original 3 seasons are on Netflix I believe. And yes, it is pretty amazing.
Sadly its not on Canadian Netflix

I might pick up the bluray set, seems like a show i could sink my teeth into!
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote