Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-25-2021, 12:00 PM   #27981
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

The Faculty (1998) - surprisingly there were lots of well known actors in this one: Elijah Wood, Jon Stewart, Robert Patrick, Bebe Neuworth (Lilith from Cheers), Famke Jensen, Salma Hayak, Josh Hartnett, Jordana Brewster, Christoper McDonald just to name some. This movie really had no business being as fun as it was lol The screenplay was written by Kevin Williamson of Scream fame, I always enjoy his scripts. The CGI could have been better but it was the 90's, overall just a silly fun movie that doesnt take itself too seriously - 7.5/10

Urban Legend (1998) - another fun slasher movie trying to ride the wave of Scream and I know what you did last Summer, and it holds up well next to those. The writing is clever and witty, and the kills (mostly based on Urban Legends) were interesting, the killers outfit was pretty cool too, and it has one of my favorite chase scenes in horror - 7.5/10

13 Ghosts (2001) - best part of this movie was seeing all the different ghosts, they were all interesting and the makeup effects of the ghosts was great, I just wish they took more time to explain the back stories of the ghosts. The "living" house idea was pretty cool as well with the spells written on the clear walls. The acting was a bit questionable and over the top, but it matched the tone of the movie - 7/10

Ghost Ship (2002) - haven't seen this one in ages but it was better than I remembered. They did a really good job with the creepy atmosphere of the haunted ship, and the story was interesting. They definitely didnt hold back on the gore, the opening scene is one of the craziest i've seen in a horror movie (if you've seen it you know) - 7.5/10

The Strangers (2008) - The first half of this movie was really suspenseful, but it doesnt really go anywhere and ends quite abruptly, the run time could have been fleshed out a bit. Stars Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman, and for the 'its always sunny in philadelphia' fans it also has Glenn Howerton (Dennis) in a rare serious role (which I couldnt take seriously because all I could see is Dennis lol) It is more or less a typical house invasion story with above average suspense - 6.5/10

The Green Knight (2021) - Another A24 release, I heard a lot of mixed reviews on this one but decided to give it a go and I was pleasantly surprised. Definitely not for the crowd looking for a fantasy movie with huge battles and non-stop action, its more of a slow burn drama type movie, but the cinematography and camera work were top notch, and I appreciated the more artful approach they took to the story as opposed to just making another action focused medieval movie, but again its not for everyone but it always kept my interest. Bonus points for the Green Knight design he looked awesome, and his intro scene was epic - 8/10
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:03 PM   #27982
statman
Baron Zemo

Dune (2021) 7/10
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 02:51 PM   #27983
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Just Before Dawn (1981) - This one is about 5 campers that travel to the mountains to explore some property one of them purchased. Of course along the way they are warned not to go there (because of the machete wielding maniac that stalks those woods, but this point wasnt made clear to them at the time) so they carry on and setup camp, and naturally start disappearing one by one. This movie had some great atmosphere, and the cast was likeable, I actually cared if they were murdered and were rooting for them to survive. This movie definitely inspired some of the inbred/hillbilly horrors that would come later (Wrong Turn for example) and although this movie has similarities to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and the Hills Have Eyes, the director stated he had never seen those movies before making this one - 7/10

Alone in the Dark (1982) - Four psychopaths break out of a mental hospital when the power goes out, and go on a rampage throughout the town, concluding with an assault on their doctor and his home/family. Stars Jack Palance and Martin Landau as two of the psychos, which was a lot of fun to watch. Also features Donald Pleasence, again as a Doctor similar to Halloween, but in this movie hes the opposite of how he was in Halloween (in this one he believes the psychos can be redeemed/forgiven for their murders and misdeeds due to their insanity) A couple interesting things about the movie, this was the first movie ever produced by New Line Cinema (Robert Shaye has a writing credit as well, and Lyn Shaye his sister has a small part) Also one of the psychos wears a hockey mask, similar to what Jason wore in F13 Part 3, which came out the same year (although F13 Part 3 came out a few months before) - 7/10

Climax (2018) - A film by Gaspar Noé, I've never seen anything as crazy as this before and don't think I ever will again (if you've seen his works you know this is very different director) its an absolute descent into the dark side of human nature and every form of debauchery imaginable, and its done via the back drop of a drug induced dance party being thrown by a french dance group. It starts off well enough with a really interesting dance number, unlike anything I've seen before and shot in one take, then it just spirals into an absolute nightmare scenario. A movie I dont know if I could watch again, but part of me wants to because it made such an impact and was a hypnotic and surreal experience. There was only one actual actor in the movie (Sofia Boutella from Star Trek Beyond, and the Mummy with Tom Cruise) everyone else in the movie were actual dancers and not actors. Warning, definitely not for everyone - 8/10
Old 10-26-2021, 08:07 PM   #27984
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Dune: 8/10
Wrath of Man 7/10
Greyhound 7/10
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:45 AM   #27985
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Spiral 4/10

Trying to piggy back on the success of Saw with an unrelated story
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:38 PM   #27986
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Climax (2018) - A film by Gaspar Noé, I've never seen anything as crazy as this before and don't think I ever will again (if you've seen his works you know this is very different director) its an absolute descent into the dark side of human nature and every form of debauchery imaginable, and its done via the back drop of a drug induced dance party being thrown by a french dance group. It starts off well enough with a really interesting dance number, unlike anything I've seen before and shot in one take, then it just spirals into an absolute nightmare scenario. A movie I dont know if I could watch again, but part of me wants to because it made such an impact and was a hypnotic and surreal experience. There was only one actual actor in the movie (Sofia Boutella from Star Trek Beyond, and the Mummy with Tom Cruise) everyone else in the movie were actual dancers and not actors. Warning, definitely not for everyone - 8/10
I saw this at the cinema when it was released. Like many Gaspar Noé films, it was very uncomfortable, but visually spectacular. His only movie I've seen I felt was substandard was Love in 2015.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:43 PM   #27987
ParisDean

The Father (2020) - A man refuses all assistance from his daughter as he ages. As he tries to make sense of his changing circumstances, he begins to doubt his loved ones, his own mind and even the fabric of his reality.

What a bravura performance by Anthony Hopkins. His Academy Award this year was very much deserved. 9/10
Old 10-28-2021, 06:06 PM   #27988
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
I saw this at the cinema when it was released. Like many Gaspar Noé films, it was very uncomfortable, but visually spectacular. His only movie I've seen I felt was substandard was Love in 2015.
That must have been an awesome experience seeing this in theatres! the music and visuals and colors would be spectacular in the theatre environment

have you seen 'Enter the Void' by Gaspar? if so would you rate that higher or lower than 'Climax'?

I've yet to see 'Love', but if its substandard I might save it for later, I was thinking of watching 'Irréversible' next...
Old 10-28-2021, 06:25 PM   #27989
ParisDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
That must have been an awesome experience seeing this in theatres! the music and visuals and colors would be spectacular in the theatre environment

have you seen 'Enter the Void' by Gaspar? if so would you rate that higher or lower than 'Climax'?

I've yet to see 'Love', but if its substandard I might save it for later, I was thinking of watching 'Irréversible' next...
I would rate both Enter the Void and Irréversible slightly above Climax, but all three are pretty close for me. The novelty of Love was seeing it in 3D when it was released and even then just for one scene really. I felt the story was flimsy making the movie ultimately disappointing.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:08 AM   #27990
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Last Night in Soho 8.5/10 great movie, love the filming style
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote