Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 08-07-2018, 11:21 PM   #1
ghettodactyl
Frackin!

Large Displays other than Ikea

I'm picking up a lot of the upcoming Prime 1 Studio 1/3 scale pieces and due to the size I'm trying to figure out all of my display options. Some of the pieces like Prime 1's Doomsday I'm fairly certain is not going to fit on anything Ikea has. I was just hoping to get some ideas of anything else out there for display options for massive statues other than Ikea. I know I can get a custom display which I plan to for at least one piece currently but it would be nice to have a cheaper option.

My current list of pieces I'll be trying to get stands for are 1/3 scale Hush Superman, Batman, Poison Ivy, Doomsday, and Wonder Woman on Horseback(currently I'll probably be getting something custom made for this).

For anyone planning on picking up something massive like the 1/3 Prime 1 Doomsday, how do you plan to display it? Or are you like me and pulling the trigger before figuring out where you're going to put it.
ghettodactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:24 AM   #2
doomsdayd
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

I made a workbench type of desk that extends wall to wall (14 feet). Unfortunately, custom is the only route you can go if you choose for an enclosed display. I will tell you that even going with the IKEA Pax will be pricey. You will have to reinforce the shelves and then also buy shelf plugs, LEDs, and an acrylic display for each frame.
doomsdayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:28 AM   #3
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Custom is the best route to go, but it's not like there aren't any options at Ikea. It depends on what your personal expectations/wants are.

I've used the top of Kallax 2x2 stands for P1 1/3 statues, and it works fine. My plan as of now is to have 3 of those right next to each other; Superman on left, Batman in the middle, Catwoman on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180807_210424.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	116003  
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:46 AM   #4
ghettodactyl
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580 View Post
Custom is the best route to go, but it's not like there aren't any options at Ikea. It depends on what your personal expectations/wants are.

I've used the top of Kallax 2x2 stands for P1 1/3 statues, and it works fine. My plan as of now is to have 3 of those right next to each other; Superman on left, Batman in the middle, Catwoman on the right.
I think those would work just fine for both Batman and Catwoman. I am worried that the base for Supermans statue seems a bit to wide to fit on those stands though. I'm also worried that the weight of Doomsday is going to be a problem besides its width/length. They don't say how heavy its going to be but just looking at the piece it looks like its going to weigh a lot.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:10 AM   #5
Vendetta
The X-Men

I've used Expedit 4x2 stands (precursor to Kallax) in the same way as described, but I don't know if I trust them for Prime 1 stuff due to weight concerns. Depth can also be an issue. Kallax depth is 39cm, while Superman is listed at 44cm. The 1/4 Guts statue is listed at 50cm and also weighs >70 pounds, I believe.

I'm not sure that Ikea currently has a solution for the larger Prime 1 statues outside of the Pax line.
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:37 AM   #6
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I have the ikea regissor display case (I have dark brown case).

https://goo.gl/images/zF8FeR

I can fit about three 1/3 scale statue on the top. i have Arkham knight, Arkham Batman and Deathstroke (though I have to take scfye out to make it fit.

I also have billycase which easily fits the Arkham Harley Quinn.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:24 PM   #7
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Ghettodactyl, I use steel garage storage shelves for my collection. They work great, affordable and the 24" depth is perfect for 1/3. You can buy them in different sizes and adjust the shelves. If you're handy you can spray paint them and hacksaw them to get the height you want. The steel surface does not bow under all that weight.

I hacksawed mine to half the height of the room so I can put some framed prints behind them and give Shockwave a home on the bottom where Lockdown is. Jetform Optimus is going next to DOTM Optimus if I can reinforce that shelf. I'm planning on getting two more from Home Depot and play around with the height to raise them off the floor to get a Swifter under them. If you have hardwood floors, get little square plastic feet to move furniture. I can pull mine out to get behind them.

Because they are not enclosed I use a fine painters/craft brush every other week and cans of compressed air once a week. Some collectors frown on the air. Unless you are holding the sprayer right onto the statue or holding the can upside down I don't see the issue. I have had zero issues. I also have an Oreck air purifier in the room to get rid of dust.

I haven't figured out lighting yet but there are tons of options at Ikea or I just might pay an electrician to do some custom track lighting.

The steel storage from Lowes are the same but have a flat surface instead of a rack. I plan on getting one in the fall and experiment to see which one's better.

Here are links to both. There are other options on both sites and pictures of my work in progress.

Also for you Batfanatics you can get three Arkham statues on each rack. I've got Two-Face, Deathstroke and enough measured room for another i.e. Scarecrow, Joker or Catwoman to fit. Mr. Freeze and Croc are a tad too wide so they get to share a shelf together.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-78...W5BH/305885655

https://www.lowes.com/pd/edsal-72-in...g-Unit/1000527
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2793.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	116013   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2794.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	116014   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2795.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	116015   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2796.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	116016   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2798.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	342.2 KB
ID:	116017  

eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:29 PM   #8
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Funny you post that because I was literally on Lowe's last night looking at the exact same thing.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:22 PM   #9
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I think they work perfectly. You can go custom or Paxx but custom is expensive and most P1 bases won’t fit in a Paxx unless you exclude the custom door everyone uses.
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #10
ghettodactyl
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalblue02 View Post
Ghettodactyl, I use steel garage storage shelves for my collection. They work great, affordable and the 24" depth is perfect for 1/3. You can buy them in different sizes and adjust the shelves. If you're handy you can spray paint them and hacksaw them to get the height you want. The steel surface does not bow under all that weight.

I hacksawed mine to half the height of the room so I can put some framed prints behind them and give Shockwave a home on the bottom where Lockdown is. Jetform Optimus is going next to DOTM Optimus if I can reinforce that shelf. I'm planning on getting two more from Home Depot and play around with the height to raise them off the floor to get a Swifter under them. If you have hardwood floors, get little square plastic feet to move furniture. I can pull mine out to get behind them.

Because they are not enclosed I use a fine painters/craft brush every other week and cans of compressed air once a week. Some collectors frown on the air. Unless you are holding the sprayer right onto the statue or holding the can upside down I don't see the issue. I have had zero issues. I also have an Oreck air purifier in the room to get rid of dust.

I haven't figured out lighting yet but there are tons of options at Ikea or I just might pay an electrician to do some custom track lighting.

The steel storage from Lowes are the same but have a flat surface instead of a rack. I plan on getting one in the fall and experiment to see which one's better.

Here are links to both. There are other options on both sites and pictures of my work in progress.

Also for you Batfanatics you can get three Arkham statues on each rack. I've got Two-Face, Deathstroke and enough measured room for another i.e. Scarecrow, Joker or Catwoman to fit. Mr. Freeze and Croc are a tad too wide so they get to share a shelf together.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-78...W5BH/305885655

https://www.lowes.com/pd/edsal-72-in...g-Unit/1000527
The shelves look really nice with your Transformer collection on them. It's nice they're made out of steel too so you know they can handle the weight of the pieces. Also, the price is really good for being able to hold at least a few pieces. I may end up going with this solution until I decide if I want to spend the money for custom display stands made which I know will cost a fortune. I already had a quote done for around $4500 for a display I want custom built for my upcoming Wonder Woman piece. The price is expensive but understandable due to the size of the display(40in x 40in x 65in just for the enclosed area for the piece, not including the actual bottom or top of the stand). It also would be able to rotate the 111 pound statue within the display and also have spotlights on both the top and bottom shining on the piece. I'm still debating if I want to spend that kind of money for just a single item display. Either way the display would go in the living room since I don't think I could fit it through any other door in my house.