Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Costume Corner

Old 08-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
fireburns
The X-Men

Sideshow Commercial Contest

Now for your veiwing pleasure, the commercial Sideshow deemed "To controversial to show the public"* is ready for all to see.

Just go to the following link and watch....if you dare!

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=40181716

*Sideshow Collectibles does not endorse or acknowledge this statement. It was made Solely by the poster of this thread in an attempt at humor. If humor does not arise from said statement, or erection last longer than four hours, immediately seek consultation from your practicing physician.
fireburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
oddball
Kindly Asked To Leave

i love red skull. GREAT commercial. why didn't it appear in the contest?
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #3
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

not feeling it
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

looks cool im sure ss has their reasons,,,
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
collector49
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Wow! Ummm? Yeah.

I think you two are great, and your costuming skills are beyond phenomenal.

However, I think focusing on a nazi character for promotional purposes is probably not the best marketing idea. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I do understand he is just a character, and that the intention behind the spot is innocent. But the imagery used in his costume is not fictional in the slightest.

I think you could easily view that video and mistake the intent of it to be glorifying hate. I don't view it that way, but it isn't a long shot for someone out there to take it the wrong way and create problems. Especially since Sideshow is often referred to as "SS collectibles." Ha ha.
collector49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
fireburns
The X-Men

I can certainly understand that arguement, however, all I have is speculation at this point. I never recieved any kind of feedback about the entry positively or negatively. And I think if you look at the "Fan Favs" mine certainly could hold it's own in that category.

And nice one Boon. You had me there for a sec.
fireburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
oddball
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by collector49 View Post
Wow! Ummm? Yeah.

I think you two are great, and your costuming skills are beyond phenomenal.

However, I think focusing on a nazi character for promotional purposes is probably not the best marketing idea. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I do understand he is just a character, and that the intention behind the spot is innocent. But the imagery used in his costume is not fictional in the slightest.

I think you could easily view that video and mistake the intent of it to be glorifying hate. I don't view it that way, but it isn't a long shot for someone out there to take it the wrong way and create problems. Especially since Sideshow is often referred to as "SS collectibles." Ha ha.
funny sideshow would produce red skull with the nazi like uniform, but wouldn't accept a promotional spot for one of their contests. 2004 comic con had produced the sideshow nazi kroenen figure, so sideshow shouldn't be shy about promoting what they produce.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
collector49

Well, potential for controversy aside, the spot is well done. And the quality of your skull costume is beyond criticism. When are we going to see a Daredevil costume? I would be forced to appear at a con to get pics taken if you had one.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:47 PM   #9
collector49

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
funny sideshow would produce red skull with the nazi like uniform, but wouldn't accept a promotional spot for one of their contests. 2004 comic con had produced the sideshow nazi kroenen figure, so sideshow shouldn't be shy about promoting what they produce.
Making the product, and having webmercials made from it are two different things. Did the Kroenen figure have a commercial? Maybe they got a little grief over the figure last time and decided to skip heavy promotion for the skull figure? I don't know. It's all speculation.

There are just some subjects that have to be approached with caution. I think nazis are top on that list. Fictional evil is easy to manipulate, but nazi's were real, so it is much harder to manipulate that for collectibles and such.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:57 PM   #10
Miracole

Knowing full well how symbols can affect people. We made sure to remove any Swastikas on this suit.. They are all Iron Crosses (similar to the SS statue..).
We are costumers, and we never want to dredge up nasty feelings on purpose.. Just have fun in a hobby that we both love..

That being said..
The first time Chris wore this at SDCC.. Funny story..

I inadvertently pissed off some guy in the elevator down to the con. We stepped into the elevator which was filled with about 12 people, Chris was in his Red Skull.

I hear from the guy next to me, "thanks dude, I'm Jewish."

Reading the sarcasm in his voice, I guessed that he was joking.. So without missing a beat, I reply, "It's cool dude, we're selling ovens.."

Crickets

Hmm.. Maybe he wasn't kidding..

I felt so bad..
Miracole is offline   Reply With Quote