Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 02-13-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
isculpt
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Castilene?

I'm thinking of picking up some castilene but I heard it is too sticky now? Any info or whatever you can contribute would be great.
isculpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

I wouldn't do it

I used to use the OLD stuff and while at the time I thought "hey it's pretty good"... I still ended up hating it when I discovered hard wax. Now that having been said it depends on what you intend to do with the stuff.

If you intend to use it for modeling and build up for later transfer to tooling wax, I think the better option is still good old Super Sculpey. Especially now that they have a firm blend. Basically it's firm enough to hold occasionally while working on a sculpt but isn't as hard to build up like it is with Castilene.

If you are looking to build something from start to finish in the same material, then perhaps a more consistent modeling wax would be better (if you don't want to use sculpey) and Gary over at willow products has a ton of different blends and grades of firmness to choose from. I hear the ones that are meant to be close to castilene are very good. I only use the harder tooling waxes myself and have for the most part gone back to the tried and true super sculpey for 90 percent of my sculpture.

I have heard that castilene is quite painful now, but perhaps that will be relative only to you if you have ever used it before. Personally I don't like the stuff anymore as I know there are options out there that suit me better. But again everyone is different and develops their own tastes with sculpting materials...

and good luck.

Last edited by Kdawg59; 02-14-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Kdawg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
JamieMac
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Apart from the change in colour, and the foul pungent smell it has now, I can't tell any difference from the old stuff. I'm actually finding it easier to smooth and it seems to hold the heat for longer which is good because it gives you more time for modelling.

I bought some of Gary's 'Mist' wax which is one he does that has similiar properties to Casteline, although I've yet use it properly except for just playing about a bit so can't really comment.

Personally I can't be doing with the whole sculpey to wax business. For one it's too expensive, for me anyway, two I can't sculpt in Sculpey and three, well, I just couldn't be arsed having to mould and cast everything.

But like the big Dawg says it's all down to personal preference and what you intend do with it... But when I look at his stuff I think I probably should be learning how to work in harder waxes

Best bet is to just get your hands on some and see how you get on with it. And if you don't like it send it to me
JamieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMac View Post

But like the big Dawg says it's all down to personal preference and what you intend do with it... But when I look at his stuff I think I probably should be learning how to work in harder waxes
Don't do the hard wax J.... you'll be like me and never finish a piece and instead scrape away for months

Just kidding... mostly
Old 02-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
isculpt
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Thanks Kdawg. I don't plan on transferring. How hard is castilene anyway? When not heated of course...
And what hard waxes do you recommend Kdawg? I hate normal sculpey, I find it waay too soft and firm is okay, but still a bit soft.
isculpt is offline   Reply With Quote