Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 11-17-2009, 12:56 AM   #1
ratchet
Mandarin

Hulk wash fix...

Does anyone here have an idea how to remove some of the wash on the Hulk's forehead - you know, without ruining the statue
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
ratchet
Mandarin

This was on SM - does it reasonable to the people here?:

Quote:
My two cents

l havent got the hulk yet, but my jean grey do have some brownish wash that l wipe away using an enamel thinner from tamiya, the trick is to use a cotton swap, dip it in the thinner and gently wipe it away , do not get freaked out if u see green paint on the swap, that is the wash coming out, the trick is knowing when to stop.

On a sidenote, the reason for a wash is to emphasis details or to create shadows, as Bowen statues are painted using acrylic paints, oil based paints are used to create a wash and then apply on the statue, and then wipe away by the painter, they cant use acylic washes as the cleaning up process will wipe away the initial paint as well

Pls use a modelling thinner as other thiners (industrial ) might be too strong!!
Old 11-17-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
ComputerFly
The Phantom

I don't believe that the color is a 'wash' to begin with. I think the darker color is the base coat, and then the yellowish green is applied on top. (painters do paint from dark to light) I don't think the application of the yellow/green was pushed far enough into the hairline on these, because I believe they wanted to leave a little 'shadow effect' around the hairline.

I would never apply a thinner to a statue, even 'modelling' thinner. If you want to try anything, you could try a little rubbing alcohol.

The guy who is quoted doesn't even have the Hulk yet. Let him try it on his first, lol!
ComputerFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
ratchet
Mandarin

It is certainly a wash OVER the lighter paint... but I agree the other guy should try it first...
Old 11-17-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
xiao666
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerFly View Post
I don't believe that the color is a 'wash' to begin with. I think the darker color is the base coat, and then the yellowish green is applied on top. (painters do paint from dark to light) I don't think the application of the yellow/green was pushed far enough into the hairline on these, because I believe they wanted to leave a little 'shadow effect' around the hairline.

I would never apply a thinner to a statue, even 'modelling' thinner. If you want to try anything, you could try a little rubbing alcohol.

The guy who is quoted doesn't even have the Hulk yet. Let him try it on his first, lol!

Totally agree,never apply Thinner to a Statue it will make it even worst.
Just hang on to it first !
Mine will be coming next week, for my case either I touch it up myself ( if I could mix the right colors ) or seek professional Help from Hobby Store !
xiao666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
adee
Green Arrow

I don’t have a Hulk for my collection yet. I was waiting for this one to be released before deciding between it and the Smack down Hulk. I really like them both.
I have seen the paint issues on the new one but I still don’t know if it’s like that on all of them or are there some that look better as far as the paint goes?
It’s an awesome looking sculpt and you’d be a brave man to try it ratchet. I agree with ComputerFly, let someone else’s Hulk be the guinea pig. : )
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:56 PM   #7
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I don’t have a Hulk for my collection yet. I was waiting for this one to be released before deciding between it and the Smack down Hulk. I really like them both.
I have seen the paint issues on the new one but I still don’t know if it’s like that on all of them or are there some that look better as far as the paint goes?
It’s an awesome looking sculpt and you’d be a brave man to try it ratchet. I agree with ComputerFly, let someone else’s Hulk be the guinea pig. : )
It's not on all of them - it's on the unlucky ones
Old 11-19-2009, 12:05 AM   #8
moore_000
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
Does anyone here have an idea how to remove some of the wash on the Hulk's forehead - you know, without ruining the statue
I would not suggest messing with the factory paint as it might come out worse than before.
moore_000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:46 PM   #9
taarna
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

hulk wash

I was not thrilled by the kermit gamma puke highlights so I got some paint extender ,some call it blending medium and mixed that wth black and a dark green,mixing it all together and applying it with a brush mainly around crevices and seems and then just wipe off the excess !! it works great took away the gamma green and added more depth to the features !! easy fix !!! Awesome statue just needed tweaks !! the extender is great stuff it keeps the paint from drying out so there is more time to use it more discretely !! its like a blending wash !!!
taarna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:44 AM   #10
Simon Williams
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by taarna View Post
I was not thrilled by the kermit gamma puke highlights so I got some paint extender ,some call it blending medium and mixed that wth black and a dark green,mixing it all together and applying it with a brush mainly around crevices and seems and then just wipe off the excess !! it works great took away the gamma green and added more depth to the features !! easy fix !!! Awesome statue just needed tweaks !! the extender is great stuff it keeps the paint from drying out so there is more time to use it more discretely !! its like a blending wash !!!
Post pics please so we can see how it looks.
Simon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote