Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 07-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #4271
Yoda III.
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renketsu View Post
Bought the black art book, but still unsure if hardback or paperback... anyone know?
Because of the dust jacket I am sure it will be a hardcover - I personally do not know any softcover with a dust jacket.
Yoda III. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #4272
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Yeah, I cant see them being soft cover with dust jackets, although I did receive a soft cover once that did have a dust jacket.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #4273
rottencat
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Just bought the Friday print whatever ...

rottencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #4274
rottencat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Yeah, I cant see them being soft cover with dust jackets, although I did receive a soft cover once that did have a dust jacket.
I used to think of hardcovers as something more exclusive or expensive. My gf is a huge book fan and she prefers softcovers. We'll see whats inside...
Old 07-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #4275
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottencat View Post
I used to think of hardcovers as something more exclusive or expensive. My gf is a huge book fan and she prefers softcovers. We'll see whats inside...
Yeah, I am a HUGE book fan myself. I am usually very selective with most of my hobbies. Comic prints are a perfect example as I really only buy prints from a few companies/artists (Turner, Jim Lee, Ebas, Campbell etc.) Books on the other hand...well, I regularly buy books that span a TON of different topics. Some are simply just for reading, while others are definitely more collector based purchases.

I don't mind softcover on the books I buy simply to read. In fact, I prefer it as they are cheaper and a lot of those books I wind up giving away to good will or selling to local used books stores when I am done with them anyways. The books I buy that are more collector based purchases, those have to be hard cover. While I did purchase the Turner art books that Aspen put out the during the 2012 and 2013 SDCC's, I was hugely disappointed that they were soft cover books, especially given the prices. So I commend them for finally moving to hard cover. If you want to offer a separate soft cover edition than that is fine, but you simply have to offer people a hard cover option on art books. Its a must in my book. Most of the time, if a hardcover version isn't available, I just won't buy it. Those 3 Turner books were one of the few exceptions I have made in regards to buying softcover books. For me, it simply has to be a hard cover if its a collector based purchase like art books.

Now if only Aspen would bring their prices down. I have decided to take my chances with the 2 hardcover art books and wait for a sale. If they sell out before then...well, I just wont be adding those 2 books to my collection.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:51 AM   #4276
frankm
Aspen Comics
Producer

All,

Sorry to disappoint some of you but the new Art of Aspen book is a SOFTCOVER. Same type of format we've had the past few years. We do have plans to create a larger Hardcover version sometime down the road, but for now, this is what we're able to do.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:29 AM   #4277
renketsu
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Thanks for the info Frank.

Will it have a flat spine like the Aspen Extended edition so it can be displayed with TPBs and HCs?
renketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #4278
rottencat

Ok got the full current set of Campbell sketch cover prints. Both full and duo-color. Whats next now? More Campbell on a roadmap? I hope for Kiani and Lola
Old 07-28-2014, 02:22 PM   #4279
Cyber-Lip
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by melfina_claire View Post
I do like a couple of the Daily prints as they're beautifully coloured in by Peter but using the exact same images we've had over the last year just seems lazy
That's what I thought at first, but I bought them to pair w/the original versions and they pair up well. Each makes a nice 2 print set
Cyber-Lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:51 AM   #4280
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Now they have upped the edition size to 50 on the daily prints and the art is just more recolor/reprints. Basically, its just more of the whole recolor/reprint scheme that has really turned me away from Aspen over the last 16 months.
I would have to agree with you. These recolored reprints are disappointing. It's not enough of an incentive to consider a purchase again.

But perhaps that's the point. They're marketing these for new readers who perhaps are unfamiliar with Aspen's line of books.

Unfortunately, it alienates loyal fans who've been patiently waiting to be blown away by new artwork.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote