Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 02-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #271
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post

My favorite scene, the one that brought it home for me, was the scene where Killmonger visits the astral plane. He is back in the apartment where his father was killed. He finds his father who asks him, "are there any tears for me?". Killmonger sitting on the floor sadly looks down and replies "everyone dies". A conversation ensues where the father expresses his regret of trying to save the world while loosing his son. He realizes then the impact of his choices upon his child. This was a powerful moment! Michael B. Jordan was masterful in it. Such a great actor! The scene sits opposite to the scene where T'Challa meets his father King T'Chaka in the spiritual world. While T'Challa shows great admiration, love and respect for his father, Killmonger has a hard time opening his heart to his own dad. He is full of anger and full of pain. Although a man, he acts like a child who feels abandoned and betrayed. A child who seeks vengeance and retribution for the suffering he has experienced. A child who hides behind an excuse of social justice. In my opinion, this is the most important aspect of the film. This is the driven plot over any other. Yes, the movie tackles important subjects like the refugee crisis and the policies of isolationism around the globe, but it goes beyond that. It centers its sight on the root of the problems. It expresses the idea that a fatherless society or a society without proper father figures is doom to fail.
I never even put that juxtaposition together, really good observation. I like that a lot.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #272
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I loved this movie – extremely entertaining from the story to the visuals. I am really anxious to see how BP and Wakanda play out in Infinity War. Make mine MCU!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:21 PM   #273
adee
Green Arrow

I loved it as well. I do think it has been way over hyped and wasn't as ground breaking as has been suggested by some but a great movie none the less.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:55 PM   #274
statman
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I loved it as well. I do think it has been way over hyped and wasn't as ground breaking as has been suggested by some but a great movie none the less.
My thoughts as well.
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:06 AM   #275
Augen
The Hulk

Finally saw it and thought everything was well done. It did almost feel overstuffed and rushed towards the end, but its characterization and world building were among better Marvel offerings like Winter Soldier.

I'd rank it outside the elite Marvel offerings, but definitely high side of good ones.

My personal ratings

Elite
Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers, Captain America: Civil War
Good
Guaridans of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Thor 2: Dark World, Captain America: First Avenger, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Thor, Doctor Strange
Okay
Iron Man 2, Avengers 2: Age of Ultron, Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man: Homecoming
Bad
Iron Man 3, Thor: Ragnarok
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #276
SONICobra
Batman

i would agree with all of your rankings except i would bump gotg 2 to "okay" but everything else we seem to see eye to eye on
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:31 PM   #277
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Just saw it last night. Great characters and I found Wakanda was done well. I have a few criticisms:

1. I found the phrase "another white boy to Fix" in poor taste. I know the reference was to Bucky, but I don't think classifying a person by race is a good example. Especially when it's asked to be extended the other way.

2. I prefer to keep racial triggers out of comics. The idea of "throw my body in the ocean with my ancestors who knew death was better than bondage" is a bit heavy for a comic movie. Like, whoa.

3. I don't think a case was made as to why the "oppressed" shouldn't start killing people. All that was implied was "that's not how we do things".

4. I think Killmonger needed to be a bit more evil. I found his character confusing. He was resentful at being abandoned and he was also a government trained hitman and he was also a black nationalist but he also kicked the crap out of the black people that served him and he was also a power hungry ruler that wanted to take over Wakanda and he was also a global terrorist but he kind of made some sense in why he was...like I understand multi dimensional characters but it's hard to pinpoint what this guys deal is. If he had a secret agenda to arm the outside oppressed world to come in and wipe out Wakanda that would have aligned more with his MO. Wakanda is one of the primary contributors to that oppression.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:02 AM   #278
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

The only representation of Koreans were sneaky, greedy criminals. I guess Coogler must have a history Koreans. Not sure how it is in Oakland, but relations between African Americans and Korean Americans in Los Angeles has never been great.

Overall this is a slightly better than average Marvel movie. Once again we get a hero that has to fight a one dimensional villain that has the same powers. Wakanda for all their elitism, they have the worst rules of succession that puts everything on one’s ability to fight. That is alomst as dumb as Pacific Rim where they used kung fu as a means for accessing compatibility of pilots for the jeagers. T’Challa had no right to claim the throne after he lost in a fair fight. He was only alive do to the interference of others. If you think about, he needed his mommy, his sister and his girlfriend to save his butt. Maybe Wakanda needs to consider democracy instead of aristocracy.

Letitia Wright’s Shuri stole the movie. Boseman did an excellent job with the lines he was given.

I had to laugh as the vibranium covered rhinos after T’Challa given Stark crap for using it to make a shield. A shield is far less silly than vibranium rhino armor. And I wonder why vibranium now has a purple glow. Hmmm. I guess Mace Windu had a vibranium lightsaber.

I do see why all the praise for this movie, it is definitely better than Iron Man 2, the first two Thor movies and Doctor Strange. But it far from the best that Marvel has shown us.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:18 PM   #279
Gothamite
Phoenix

I agree that a fight to determine a new leader is not ideal, though the movie makes it clear that the event had become ceremonial in nature over time. That's why the Jabari challenge was a surprise.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:43 PM   #280
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Finally saw it and thought everything was well done. It did almost feel overstuffed and rushed towards the end, but its characterization and world building were among better Marvel offerings like Winter Soldier.

I'd rank it outside the elite Marvel offerings, but definitely high side of good ones.

My personal ratings

Elite
Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers, Captain America: Civil War
Good
Guaridans of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Thor 2: Dark World, Captain America: First Avenger, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Thor, Doctor Strange
Okay
Iron Man 2, Avengers 2: Age of Ultron, Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man: Homecoming
Bad
Iron Man 3, Thor: Ragnarok
Ragnarok and Dark World are reversed for me but other than that I agree.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote