Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Why Preoder a TBD piece?

The thread title says it all.
I'm sure more and more collectors have stopped PO statues with upfront open ES, with the growth in statue companies lately.
I don't get why anyone would PO a piece with an open ES though. It raises the Total ES, Lowers value, and opens up the gate for more QC issues(though some say different)

Why go and Preorder any new PF, if you can just wait til the ES is announced? Then, it may be 750 instead of 1500 for example. With most every newer piece the ES is so darn high, it's cheaper to wait for a sale or aftermarket.
Why damnit, Why?

Benefits are.....??...

The cons outway any pros IMO.
It feels like they are letting itchy trigger fingers ruin part of the hobby.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
Y3E
Gen 13

If I know I will be buying the statue anyways then I will just pre-order it, whether ES is announced or not. Ordering early will allow me to maximize the amount of flex payments too.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #3
boibleu22
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

I never understood why people hated open ES.

If you like the damn statue, PO the damn statue. Why does the edition size matter to someone who wants a particular piece?
boibleu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
Korath24
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boibleu22 View Post

If you like the damn statue, PO the damn statue. Why does the edition size matter to someone who wants a particular piece?
Thank you! I thought I was the only one who felt this way.
Korath24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:58 AM   #5
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

My last open ES pre-order is the new Wolverine statue. But not for any reason other than not tying up my cash. The new WW PF is a must have for me but with no ES announcement I'll wait. I have 2 statues currently on Flex and I'll be that much closer to paying them off. This is really my only reason. I will say niche lines usually have an ES but if they didn't I would pre-order to show support for the line.
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

A TBD edition size is not the same as an open edition. An open edition is one that has no predetermined limit.

So how long after an exclsuive item ships that it shows up in the secondary market at a lower price? I do not want to wait years to get a statue. And depending on the popularity of a statue the secondary market price can be even higher than retail. Exclsuives have to bought at retail price (excluding any rewards point) plus shipping and any tax that the seller would be willing to lose..

Now I don’t know why anyone would preorder the regular edition of Sideshow statues as the exclusives tend to hold their value better due to the lower edition size and the exclusive added item.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:16 AM   #7
adee
Green Arrow

One benefit to pre ordering early is to lessen the amount per flex payment. Other than that there's not much.

I have to say, although I've become a lot more knowledgeable and savvy about ES and aftermarket over the years I also started to care about those things less.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:

Because open means unlimited!
And unlimited means they will never stop making them and therefore your copy will never be worth anything.

Just look at the aftermarket prices for that Open ES Galactus piece from several years back...worthless!
People were fools for paying $800 for a 33" maquette with no golden # on the base.

/sarcasm

I remember trying to justify the purchase of this to other people who liked it, wanted it, and would have bought it if not for the open ES status. Eventually there's nothing left to do but shrug your shoulders and tell yourself "they'll learn."
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:29 AM   #9
BurningRage
Inhumans

If you like the piece and can pay in full with reward points.
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:52 AM   #10
Blacksunn
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:

If you are a collector that values a low ES then you are better off waiting until the company announces the ES. Otherwise these companies will take the amount ordered during their designated time frame and add a percentage to it. Thus creating a higher ES...

Pro's - Everyone and their uncle can get one.

Con's - Higher ES that lowers the long term value to collectors that want pieces that will possibly appreciate in value instead due to rarity.

If you like throwing the potential value of your collection out the window keep preordering these open ES's. I constantly change my pieces out sometimes buying new and selling old that I have moved on from. It is nice that they retain some value and they are not completely worthless.... Market for the majority of these pieces is in the $hittter anyways.... Just my opinion.....
Blacksunn is offline   Reply With Quote